Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Nov #358 Round 1

Nov #358 Round 1

First race report.

This is my first race season and the first time I had the 848 out since I took it off the road back in October to prep it for racing. I arrived at the track Thursday late afternoon and setup up my tools and gear in the center garage #15. I watched the open track practices and walked around the garage area chatting with everyone I could introduce myself to. I'm a tad shy believe it or not so it takes a good bit for me to pop out of my shell in situations when I don't feel comfortable. Everyone was tremendously friendly and encouraging.

Friday I took the Penguin advanced class and while I don't think that I'm quite ready for most of the material that was presented, the information was incredible and a tad overwhelming for me. The track walk really rocked, thanks Eric! I took it really slow on my practice laps while I tried to refresh myself with the marks I started learning last year and I started getting used to the new bike. I made the decision to switch to GP style shifting and I would estimate that I'm still spending just a little too much concentration time remembering to reverse my shift instincts. My practices went pretty well although I was running a sluggish 1:48-1:50 on my lap timer.

I participated in the Mock Rookie Race on Friday and that went well. After entering through turn 1, I resumed a normal practice session pace and finished the afternoon.

Saturday morning's group 3 practices were another matter entirely. After a few relaxed laps in my first warm up session, I started to increase my pace and noticed that the Ducati was seriously stuttering through several RPM ranges. This behavior continued through the second practice session as well. I'm not certain when this happened however at some point my bike threw an exhaust valve error and after several attempts to stop/start the engine the code went away.

I did the rookie race and had a pretty good start at the line. I quickly realized that I must be out in front of the acceleration curve of the riders in front of me a little more aggressively in order to match their increasing break away speed. Shortly into turn three, a red flag was thrown and we had a restart. I ran the rest of this race to completion without incident and would up with a best lap time of 01:42

I ran in Novice Formula 1 (race 6) and generally felt confident in that run although I was still running lap times in the low 1:40's. My engine was still really rough and it made it really difficult to accelerate hard with the the bike bucking. I did a real bonehead move and pitted out on the white flag when I mistook it for the checked flag.

I participated in one more race Saturday, the Novice Formula 2 (race 9) while I was much more consistent with how deep I was driving into the turns I was starting to feel a bit fatigued. The temperature dropping a few degrees by the afternoon and the bike seemed to be running a little bit differently. Seemed like the break-up range shifted down by about 1500 RPM and this made it a little easier to getting closer to decent engine speeds. Times were still a little pretty sluggish with 1:40 as my best lap. Although the times were much more consist.

Sunday I only participated in 1 race, the Novice Starter 1. I blew the launch and stalled the bike. When I tried to restart it on the grid it started but only ran about a couple hundred RPMs and stuttered like crazy. I must have really flooded it or some of that nature. I moved to the sideline and waited for the rest of the wave to exit while I tried to restart. She finally started and rev'd up slowly to a normal idle. The track official asked me if I still wanted to try and get into the race and off I went. Although the fudged start shoot my confidence a bit, I completed the race without further incident and would up running consistent 1:38s.

All in all it was an awesome weekend. Seacoast took my cycle home with them to try and sort out my engine woes so hopefully I'll be all set for the next practice sessions and I can work on the things that need improving and improve the stuff that ain't so rotten.

Thanks everyone for helping me get through my first race weekend ever!

-diz

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

Re: Nov #358 Round 1

That is the most incredible looking rookie bike ever Dana! Nice job keeping at it, see you next round, I'm sure it will be sorted. I may even have to buy another spray can of Krylon safety yellow to keep up appearances, don't want to bring down property values on the grids.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

And the times are coming down. Nice to meet you!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Nicely done!! Your times will come down with confidence. Keep up the good work!!

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    First race report.

This is my first race season and the first time I had the 848 out since I took it off the road back in October to prep it for racing. I arrived at the track Thursday late afternoon and setup up my tools and gear in the center garage #15. I watched the open track practices and walked around the garage area chatting with everyone I could introduce myself to. I'm a tad shy believe it or not so it takes a good bit for me to pop out of my shell in situations when I don't feel comfortable. Everyone was tremendously friendly and encouraging.

Friday I took the Penguin advanced class and while I don't think that I'm quite ready for most of the material that was presented, the information was incredible and a tad overwhelming for me. The track walk really rocked, thanks Eric! I took it really slow on my practice laps while I tried to refresh myself with the marks I started learning last year and I started getting used to the new bike. I made the decision to switch to GP style shifting and I would estimate that I'm still spending just a little too much concentration time remembering to reverse my shift instincts. My practices went pretty well although I was running a sluggish 1:48-1:50 on my lap timer.

I participated in the Mock Rookie Race on Friday and that went well. After entering through turn 1, I resumed a normal practice session pace and finished the afternoon.

Saturday morning's group 3 practices were another matter entirely. After a few relaxed laps in my first warm up session, I started to increase my pace and noticed that the Ducati was seriously stuttering through several RPM ranges. This behavior continued through the second practice session as well. I'm not certain when this happened however at some point my bike threw an exhaust valve error and after several attempts to stop/start the engine the code went away.

I did the rookie race and had a pretty good start at the line. I quickly realized that I must be out in front of the acceleration curve of the riders in front of me a little more aggressively in order to match their increasing break away speed. Shortly into turn three, a red flag was thrown and we had a restart. I ran the rest of this race to completion without incident and would up with a best lap time of 01:42

I ran in Novice Formula 1 (race 6) and generally felt confident in that run although I was still running lap times in the low 1:40's. My engine was still really rough and it made it really difficult to accelerate hard with the the bike bucking. I did a real bonehead move and pitted out on the white flag when I mistook it for the checked flag.

I participated in one more race Saturday, the Novice Formula 2 (race 9) while I was much more consistent with how deep I was driving into the turns I was starting to feel a bit fatigued. The temperature dropping a few degrees by the afternoon and the bike seemed to be running a little bit differently. Seemed like the break-up range shifted down by about 1500 RPM and this made it a little easier to getting closer to decent engine speeds. Times were still a little pretty sluggish with 1:40 as my best lap. Although the times were much more consist.

Sunday I only participated in 1 race, the Novice Starter 1. I blew the launch and stalled the bike. When I tried to restart it on the grid it started but only ran about a couple hundred RPMs and stuttered like crazy. I must have really flooded it or some of that nature. I moved to the sideline and waited for the rest of the wave to exit while I tried to restart. She finally started and rev'd up slowly to a normal idle. The track official asked me if I still wanted to try and get into the race and off I went. Although the fudged start shoot my confidence a bit, I completed the race without further incident and would up running consistent 1:38s.

All in all it was an awesome weekend. Seacoast took my cycle home with them to try and sort out my engine woes so hopefully I'll be all set for the next practice sessions and I can work on the things that need improving and improve the stuff that ain't so rotten.

Thanks everyone for helping me get through my first race weekend ever!

-diz
    Wait, did you happen to get passed by an AM right in turn 1 as you started in race 11 on sunday?

Nice write up, keep at it and you'll lower those lap times.

LRRS #313

Nicely done. If you want some mementos Arcy of On Track Media got a ton of good shots of you: http://photos.otmpix.com/p17874817 I think he likes taking pics of your bike...

1:38 for your first weekend is respectable, After next weekend I predict 1:35's!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Good for you Dana and your persistence.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Nice meeting you Dana! The two most important things are not to crash and have as much fun as possible. Seems like you achieved both! Congrats see you in May

Good job and it was nice meeting you!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats on surviving and thriving in your first weekend of racing! I hope you had a blast despite your engine troubles. I am sure the folks at Seacoast will get you fixed right up.
    I didnt get the opportunity to meet you but if you get the chance at round two, feel free to swing by the RSP/MTAG Pirelli garage and introduce yourself.

As a side note, I really miss my 848. It was a great bike so I am a bit envious that you are racing yours.

Oh, and as for getting used to GP shift: Head down, shift down. Head up, shift up =)

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Congrats on surviving and thriving in your first weekend of racing! I hope you had a blast despite your engine troubles. I am sure the folks at Seacoast will get you fixed right up.
    I didnt get the opportunity to meet you but if you get the chance at round two, feel free to swing by the RSP/MTAG Pirelli garage and introduce yourself.
    Oh, and as for getting used to GP shift: Head down, shift down. Head up, shift up =)
    +1000 I figured out who you were, but never intro'd myself. Will do so next round

Don't sweat the engine troubles; I'm sure Seacoast will get it sorted out with plenty of time for May!

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    The two most important things are not to crash and have as much fun as possible.
    Well, one out of two ain't bad for my first time.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Nice meeting you this weekend Dana. That bike is beautiful!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

You made it though the most nerve-racking weekend you'll ever have on a bike and came out smiling. Great work! Was good to out a face to the name. See you next round.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    You made it though the most nerve-racking weekend you'll ever have on a bike and came out smiling. Great work! Was good to out a face to the name. See you next round.
    ain't this the truth. first weekend is tough but now its old hat.

Dana I don't know if you practiced any starts on hot pit but it really helps. Although it seems like it was more of a bike problem in that bad start than a rider problem. I really didn't expect to catch anyone on lap 1 of that race. I was right behind Jim when he passed you at the exit of 11 but I didn't want to stuff it in there entering 12. next time make us Amateurs work a little more before we catch up

Sucks about the bike problem but don't be afraid to ask around for help. you'll find that everyone pretty much knows everyone and we all get along really well. just ask around for help. chances are even if someone doesn't know how to fix it then can point you to someone who can. as you've already found out the guys from Seacoast are the people you want to be friends with.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    ain't this the truth. first weekend is tough but now its old hat.

Dana I don't know if you practiced any starts on hot pit but it really helps. Although it seems like it was more of a bike problem in that bad start than a rider problem. I really didn't expect to catch anyone on lap 1 of that race. I was right behind Jim when he passed you at the exit of 11 but I didn't want to stuff it in there entering 12. next time make us Amateurs work a little more before we catch up

Sucks about the bike problem but don't be afraid to ask around for help. you'll find that everyone pretty much knows everyone and we all get along really well. just ask around for help. chances are even if someone doesn't know how to fix it then can point you to someone who can. as you've already found out the guys from Seacoast are the people you want to be friends with.

I was a little upset with the officials on this one... As I came through 12 I see them waving him on to start....He was at a dead stop and they are telling him to start as we are coming flying down the straight?!?.... As I get going I see that of course we are going to intersect right in the middle of 1 and the closing speed was scary. Ended up having to make a bit of a sketchy pass on the outside of 1. Wasn't the riders fault, but the officials shouldn't have waved him on as the AM's were coming out of 12 in my opinion. Hope I didn't spook you too bad. Oh well, at least I think it helped me put a little bit of a gap on frenchy.

LRRS #313

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    I was a little upset with the officials on this one... As I came through 12 I see them waving him on to start....He was at a dead stop and they are telling him to start as we are coming flying down the straight?!?.... As I get going I see that of course we are going to intersect right in the middle of 1 and the closing speed was scary. Ended up having to make a bit of a sketchy pass on the outside of 1. Wasn't the riders fault, but the officials shouldn't have waved him on as the AM's were coming out of 12 in my opinion. Hope I didn't spook you too bad. Oh well, at least I think it helped me put a little bit of a gap on frenchy.
    Honestly, I have to take complete accountibility for running with the bike trouble. In retrospect, had it not been my first weekend ever - I think I would have called it a good weekend and done rider practices and the rookie race only. Fortunately, it was only a learning experience and not a more serious regret. I'm confident that Seacoast is going to get to the root of my trouble and such... The rest is up to me.

btw, I'm a gal!

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

My offer to tape a post-it note with a pair of big brass ones to your suit still stands.

Honestly, I have to take complete accountibility for running with the bike trouble. In retrospect, had it not been my first weekend ever - I think I would have called it a good weekend and done rider practices and the rookie race only. Fortunately, it was only a learning experience and not a more serious regret. I'm confident that Seacoast is going to get to the root of my trouble and such... The rest is up to me.

btw, I'm a gal!
    Excellent first timer report.

In response to the quote above I'd say "Good Judgment Comes with Experience, But Experience Comes from Bad Judgment".

Fortunately you've gained some experience (and please don't think that I'm implying that you used "bad" judgment before ... you used all of the judgment you had).

The quote above, available in a few different forms is about learning by doing, which you are all over. The best way to learn is to try and make some mistakes. Hats off to you in this regard.

Unrelated ... that duc is really effen beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? - Dr. Emmitt Brown

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Nice meeting you Dana. Nice write up. Keep at it and those times will drop.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Ha, yeah it is...
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? - Dr. Emmitt Brown
    Most excellent!

BTW: Sorry I haven't gotten you the photos yet. Been busy this week. Hopefully I find time to pick through and send 'em your way this weekend.

I spoke with the folks at Seacoast today, they definitely found the problem and I caused it. <blush/>

Turns out that I reversed the exhaust valve cables and instead of opening the exhaust valve under throttle, it was closing it and the engine was backing up exhaust. When they threw the bike on the dyno with the valve reversed it only created 48 HP, after fixing my screw up, it jumped to 138 HP. They are going to fine tune the throttle bodies and fuel injectors and expect to see about another ~10 HP or better.

This is such great news and I'm so glad that it wasn't a more significant issue that I caused.

Lesson - paint ambiguous parts BEFORE I disassemble! - priceless

Thanks everyone for for the help and a super call out to Seacoast!!

-diz

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

What kind of bike is that