Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NOV 910 Race Report - Round 5

NOV 910 Race Report - Round 5

Feeling very proud of my recent track trailer build and full of confidence after picking up my bike from GMD for a suspension overhaul and setup I left Thursday just after lunch to head up to NHMS. Plan was to leave early, beat the traffic, set up camp, and do some work on my bike that evening. Miles from Street and Comp had a steering damper waiting for me and I picked up the bike from PK as it was delivered, naked. Long story short, finished wrenching about 9:00, ate some dinner, went to bed early.

Friday: Basic school is a LONG fucking day. Most of you know this. It sucks. The morning class sessions are certainly valuable in learning the rules and format of things, but the rest of the day felt like a lot of hot air and class time was mandatory. The important part, track time. Zev Ginsburg spent 3 full sessions working with me 1 on 1; following me, towing me around, talking stuff over in the pits. Dude went above and beyond to bring me up to speed. We discussed my problem areas (3-4, 9-10) and made big strides getting faster in those sections. Finished the day confident and ready to race.

Saturday
    Rookie Race Heavyweight/Middleweight:
    4 riders gridded up, all middleweight. I had a weak start and went into T1 in 3rd, stayed that way for the remainder of the lap and I reeled in 143X David Ruben going into 1, got a solid drive out of 2 and passed him on the back straight. Spent the rest of the lap closing the gap between 767 Greg Moeller and I. Caught him exiting 2 and made a clean pass on the inside going into 3 and took the lead. From there out it was head down and try and make some space. I wasn't challenged the rest of the way and finished my rookie race with a win.
    Out lap: 1:31.325
    Best lap: 1:25.132

Race 10 Rookie 2:
    First "real" race. Big grid, I was in the 2nd wave, A position in the 5th row. Start was a big cluster fuck of wheelies, stalls, and zig zags. I went into 1 somewhere mid pack, held back a bit through 1A and made a hard drive through 2 and passed 3-4 riders before entering T3. I was in 6th at this point and the lead pack was a couple of turns ahead of me. Basically stayed like this for the rest of the race and I finished 6th.
    Out lap: 1:33.637
    Best lap: 1:24.607

Sunday
    Race 1 Formula 2:
    Gridded in A position 2nd row. Got a nice start and beat the leader 396 Matthew Frois into T1. I'm winning! Then I went soft into T6 and Matt got me back on the inside. He's been turning solid 22's so I figure on trying to catch a tow and see if I can make something happen at the end. I hang in there for almost a lap then we hit Wave 1 traffic around T3. Matt is able to pass a few riders entering 3, I hold off until exit, I don't get through the traffic until exiting 6 and Matt is long gone. I run the rest of the race with no hope of catching him and never being challenged for my position. Jim watches from the start/finish and gives me the "slow down" signal at the white flag. Ran consistent 25's for the most part.
    Out lap: 1:27.567
    Best lap: 1:25.270

Race 10 Starter 2 AM/NOV
    Fucked the start. I was 3rd wave, the last row of second wave didn't leave on their flag, I'm like "wtf"?" They drop green on us and I wait for the rest of my wave to go before I do. Fuck. Goal here is don't get lapped my Jim who started in the first wave. 396 get out in front early and I could never really latch on. I run the whole race in 2nd cutting 24's and last lap going into 3 Chris Bouchard leading the Am pack passes me. I try and catch a tow but he's too fast. I get passed again crossing the finish line by the second Am. Jim apparently was reeling me in but didn't catch me before it was over, he did slide over for a fist bump going down the back straight on the cool down lap. I get back to the garage and check my phone, absolutely PUMPED to see I broke into the 23's on the 2nd to last lap!!!!
    Out lap: 1:29.574
    Best lap: 1:23.868

What a blast. Can't wait for next round!

HUGE thanks to all the guys who have helped me and encouraged me along the way. It's really early for me with only 5 track days under my belt before this weekend but I knew right away racing was the goal. Instructors at Penguin and Tony's were all awesome. Degsy has helped me a ton. All the guys in 10/11 North, Marcelo, Fenchy, and especially Jim. Jim is a great roommate and a great dude who has helped me in all aspects of getting started in this awesome sport. I might not always listen to him but he always enjoys a good "I told you so" at my expense! Thanks guys!!

NOV 910 Race Report - Round 5-imageuploadedbytapatalk1408383219-549439-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 08-18-14 at 04:00 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Re: NOV 910 Race Report - Round 5

shut up rookie!

rookie race - 1st place
    saturday race 10 - 2nd place
    sunday race 1 - 2nd place
    sunday race 10 - 2nd place

oh, and i grabbed your ass out of T2 on the cool down lap

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Dammmm Dude all that grom talk and i got a broken wing and no mention of MEEEEEEEEEEE GEEEEEEEEEEZ...... PFFF

Welcome dude. We cheered for you at the rookie race.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That a boy!

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Great racing this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

oh, and i grabbed your ass out of T2 on the cool down lap
    I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank Vanson Leathers for not having to feel this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Dammmm Dude all that grom talk and i got a broken wing and no mention of MEEEEEEEEEEE GEEEEEEEEEEZ...... PFFF
    Big ups to Shawn for letting me crash in his garage spot while he's out.

Speaking of the Grom...what a filthy whore. I think everyone at NHMS who wanted a ride got one. Gonna have to wash it with Ajax.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Welcome dude. We cheered for you at the rookie race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post
    That a boy!
    Thanks a lot guys! See y'all next round.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Great job this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    Great racing this weekend
    Awesome time for sure! I tried to hang on when I got you in the start, then you passed me I. 6, but I could not afford. Looking forward to next round, it's nice to have someone early on I need to try and catch, seems like most of the other red numbers are running 30's still.

Nice to meet you. Keep it up and you'll be lining up with used-to-be-slow-Jim in no time.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

HaHAHa no problem bud..................looks its in better use with you there

Nice to meet you too JC, Shawn, we'll have you on that Grom in no time.

I'm going to look into a gearing change, I'm only getting as far as topping out 4th on the front straight, maybe banging the rev limiter a few times before braking if I get a good drive. Gonna shoot Pit Bull an email about rider support (discount!) as I'm now running their damper and stands.

Also Vortex, they will give you sponsorship......FYI and look into Hookit.com and get your foot in the door on many companies you will use

Glad you enjoyed it bud

CCS #31

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Also Vortex, they will give you sponsorship......FYI and look into Hookit.com and get your foot in the door on many companies you will use
    i gotta say I'm dropping Vortex after 4 years. Their contingency program is tough to earn and you get only 3 months to cash in credits with no notice of earning anything. The cost plus shipping a 30% discounted sprocket or fairing stay is more than just buying it from Street & Comp at the track. I've favored the Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets since the beginning. Far superior design and less likely to cause more damage to your bike/frame than the Vortex ones do.

EX 105

PitBull's program is pretty shitty as well. They dont care if you use their stands anymore. Only pay contingency if you have their stabilizer and sprockets, which no one really does. Their discount is something like 10% off, or something really low.

EX 105