Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Novice 121 Round 2 Race Report

Novice 121 Round 2 Race Report

Kind of a bitter-sweet weekend for me w/some things going the way I wanted while others, not so much... I knew I had to work on my entrance to t1, so that was a big priority for me this weekend, and I feel like I succeeded for the most part.

SAT. Race 5 Nov. MWGP:
    I got a good start, got into the lead and just put my head down. I was feeling good about my improved entrance to t1, so even though I was leading the race, I decided to try and work on some other corners... . I mean, after reading the "trophy" thread on here I was pondering what it really means to be a novice this year, and I decided that dropping lap times is more important than winning so I took some chances instead of being conservative... I don't know where I got the idea that I needed to go into 3 any faster than I was, but regardless, on lap 3 I stormed in a little too fast and had to brake really hard. I fixated on the tires, just watching them get too close too fast, did a stoppie over the bumps and bottomed my fork, which kind of got me out of control and over into the dirt where I proceeded to crash out of the lead. I most likely could have just turned the goddamn bike, but like that saying goes... just ran out of raw talent. I picked up the bike because by time I crashed I was slowed down enough that it wasn't a bad crash, but the thing wouldn't start. I wasted about 2 minutes trying to start my bike while the corner worker pushed me to the side and finally said, "turn the key on and off"... wish I knew that, but I never crashed the thing before so this was kind of a milestone for me. I got the bike started and tried to get back into it. I managed to catch up and get by 2 riders for a 10th place finish. The good is that I did my fastest lap yet, w/a 1:24.6. 2.2 secs. faster than last weekend.

Sun. Race 5 Nov. GTU:
    On fri. I searched around for some good used rains in case the weather was bad for today's race, and found a set. Turns out that the front had a hole in it, so about 45 mins. before the race I realized I was screwed. Apparently the hole couldn't be plugged or anything, and I didn't have the cash for a fresh set, so the only thing I had on hand was my old street tires or Dot race tires. I picked the street tires, and knew that there was no way I would keep up w/the guys w/rains, so I just went out to go slow and check out the areas of the track that I needed to work on. It was probably the most boring race ever, but I really did get to see things that I normally wouldn't focus on in a race.

So for next time I'm gonna do t3 the way I know works for me and work on some other areas where I realized time can be saved. I'm confident I can do better than 24's if I work on these sections one at a time and not try to get too far ahead of myself. I think on Sat. I just tried to do too much all on the same day. I left the track feeling kind of weird about the results vs. the times I did on Sat, but I guess things could've been far worse as far as the crash went, and it does feel good to have gotten my first crash out of the way, but I just wish it didn't happen the weekend my wife came to watch!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Re: Novice 121 Round 2 Race Report

Good job out there this weekend, sucks about the rain tire. You were going good out there on Saturday, and as I said a few times (and so did just about everybody else), I still can't believe you got that lucky and didn't break ANYTHING when you went down. Live and learn, then come back stronger next time.

Good to meet you too, even though I never actually introduced myself. I'm the other Brian that hangs out with that rowdy bunch you pit with.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Live and learn man. You're up there doing it, so you're definitely ahead of the game.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

24's in your 3rd time up at NHMS is friggin awesome! You'll be bumping really soon.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

you learned a bunch this weekend not only in the faster times but also about where you can pick up time and how to go about doing it.

Nice job dude and nice to meet you. Sucks about the rain tire, but nice finishes and glad the bike was ok!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Damn 24s? You are definitely rocking the house!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Nice job Brian, good to have you in the group!

Good that you went out in the rain to gain experience despite being on street tires. You've definitely got the mindset to become even faster.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"