Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Novice #143 - Race Report Round 6

Novice #143 - Race Report Round 6

Returning to round 6 hoping to redeem myself after a DNS due to mechanical issues in round 5. Scott at Souhegan Valley Motorsports did a heck of a job tracking down the issue, fixing it, installing some upgrades and tuning the bike for me all under a bit of a time crunch. I used the first practice on Friday to get my head back in the game and to feel out the bike. Power delivery and throttle response were greatly improved from pre-tune. I saw 1:25’s in practice and felt comfortable running there which was a bit of a first for me. The weather was a bit spotty and I opted to sit out as I didn’t want to get caught out there on slicks or burn up my rain tires.

Saturday I was gridded fifth in Race 10 – Novice LWSB. I’ve been experimenting with launching the SV and spooked myself lifting the front wheel. Thanks for the extra torque Scott.  The four riders in front of me pulled away and two riders got around me putting me in 7th overall. I pass one coming out of T2 and another into T6 on the first lap. Second lap I got passed coming out of T12 but returned the favor when he got held up by another rider and passed them both. In fourth coming into T3 I decide to overtake one rider on the brakes but somehow manage to take all three riders and still crank the bike over. I hate leading as I struggle with determining the pace. Now in first place, I put my head down and proceed to crank out a 1:23.6 for a new personal best. The bike felt great. I had noted the debris flag coming around and new the rain was spitting but didn’t feel it was enough to get the line wet. Regardless, after seeing the halfway flag I altered my line going through T2 to avoid the inside patch but didn’t check up on throttle application. Game over. Pretty sure I lost the rear but I don’t know if it was due to the rain or just simply a lowside from too much throttle combined with too much lean angle, etc… Slid for a ways. Got up and looked over my shoulder.. hmm no one. Run over, pick the bike up (bent clip on, ground peg, ground shifter) and then a rider went by. A minimum of 15 bike lengths. I should have checked up. Fock. DNF

Packed up and went home. Definitely a learning experience of what not to do.

Couple of questions that I have:
    - When racing cars, there was always an indication that traction was being lost. Understeer, oversteer, feedback in the steering wheel, squeal, etc… am I simply missing these indications on the motorcycle?

- If I look at the tire, is there any way for me to tell if it slid out due to slick conditions, riding off the side of the tire, etc?

- I’ll be adding the second caliper and second rotor back onto the front end due to brake fade being experienced in T3 and T6. If I do this, should I throw new pads in since once set is worn more than other? Pad suggestions? I *think* there’s EBC’s in there now.

- How do I keep the brake lever feel (firm with limited travel) that I currently have now when I put the second caliper back on? Go to a larger master cylinder?

Thanks!
    Fitz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Novice #143 - Race Report Round 6

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. yes
    4. Smaller MC will be required (higher line pressure for added line volume)

Paul_E_D

Dayum, Fitty...I didn't know you went down!

Congrats on the PB though.

I'm with Paul on this as well.

Yes
    No
    Yes (EBC HH)
    Agree with Paul again. Another thing is, not sure what you run for brake lines currently but you might want to even consider smaller ID lines as well.

Fresh set of EBC HH's sitting on the work bench just waiting to be installed.

Fitz