Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Novice #290 10-3/4 Race Report

Ambition Outweighs Talent strgt's Avatar

Novice #290 10-3/4 Race Report

Ill give my hand at this since I had a pretty eventful weekend. Started off last Monday by throwing out my back, and got sick on Tuesday. I was sick enough that I took Wednesday off of work, and I haven't taken a real sick day in 2 years. I get to the track late on Friday, and miss practice so im pretty discouraged about the weekend.

#1 Goal for the weekend
    -DON'T CRASH, my girlfriend has had enough with me crashing and Ive replaced enough foot pegs this year.

#2 Goal for the weekend-Keep my index at over .5 so I can move up

Saturday
    I get a set of Rains from Miles and manage to get them on and do practice for about 10 minutes. This was my first time on rains, and I have to say I actually really like riding in the rain. Luckily I got stuck behind an expert on an EX and followed him around for a few laps watching how smooth he was. I was actually looking forward to this day.

Race 3-MW Grand Prix
    Somewhat large group of about 12 starters (considering the rain). Looking at the grids I didn't recognize anyone, so I'm thinking maybe ill have a chance at getting a trophy this weekend. I had been trying to get a trophy all year and thought this would be a good chance. We take off at the start and I go into T1 in second place. I stayed there all race long, and didn't want to chance it so I let him go. Finish with 2nd with a best lap of 1:30. I was pretty happy with the time considering the conditions, and my first race of the year my best lap in the dry was a 1:34. Good enough for me as I am eligible for $75 of certs from Bridgestone with this and i'm happy.

Race 12-HW Superbike
    Rescheduled for Sunday due to an SV that blew its load all over the front part of the track.

Sunday

Decide not to do practice and sleep in. I had three races, and had the make-up race for 12 from Saturday that I planned to use as my practice.

Race 12 Make-up-HW Superbike
    There were only 5 starters, and I knew I was faster than at least 4 of them. Tanner Ose, who beat me in the rain race was in it was my main competitor. Go out for the warm-up lap, I am right behind Tanner, and he goes FLYING into T6 and crashes on brand new tires. Ok, lol I said. We line up for the start, and when I launch I completely lose grip, and put my foot down to keep my bike upright. Meanwhile, I get passed into T1. I follow this guy around for a few turns waiting to see how the track conditions are. Hes going way slower than he needs to and I say fuck it and pass him. I'm worried about someone passing me so I pick up the pace. Hold it in first until the second to last lap, when I take a look at my GF standing at T1 with her arms stretched out as far as they will go. I slow down a lot to try and save my legs for the rest of the day. Finish with a 1st, with a best time of 1:25 and had a 15 second lead over then next guy. LOL, cheap win, but I should be eligible for $100 from Bridgestone if they go by entries.

Race 3-MW Superbike
    I was Gridded in 1D, which is my favorite spot.I get a shitty launch, and go into T1 in 5th. I was more amazed by John from RSP's 12 o'clock wheelie down the straight after the launch. I was following my buddy Leo (531) and we both pass the 4th place guy pretty easy. Leo is pulling some good laps, and I am kinda pushing to keep up with him. I saw Dave and John from RSP in the lead and knew those two were going to be flying trying to beat each other. Knowing I still had another race after this I decided to let them go and set my sights on Leo. I patiently watch him for 6 more laps and know i'm much faster into T1, and better on the brakes in T3. Last lap, I try going around the outside in T1 and failed. I could have stuffed it in 1A but thats going to be a close pass, and I didn't want to risk it with Leo. I missed a shift down to 2nd so I managed to click it into second just before T2. Good thing I did this as I would have missed my next passing opportunity. Go into three and I grab a fist full of brake and endo the bike into T3 and make the the pass. Held him off for the rest of the lap and finish with a 3rd. I was much happier about this race, since I felt like I had to earn it with a 1:20.6 fastest lap. Also eligible for another $50 from Bridgestone.

Race 13-MW Supersport
    This should be a fun race. Got my pit buddies Kevin (692) and Leo, then Dave from RSP and all of us were pretty close in our times. I was gridded in 2A, which I don't like. I get another shitty launch, and go into T1 in 6th behind Kevin and a MOTARD. all I could think is WTF is a motard doing out there. He crashes in 2, right in front of Kevin and we have to dodge this guy. We pass a guy, and I set my sights on passing Kevin. This is the first time all year ive had a good chance at mixing it up with him, and all I wanted to do was make a clean pass on him since I crashed in front of him earlier in the year and took him out. I planned on waiting until the last or second to last lap to pass him and take 3rd (which I would have been completely happy with). I knew I was better on the brakes then him and when I see Dave from RSP up a head I said fuck it. I pass Kevin on the brakes into T6, which is awesome because his wife and my gf have become friends and were standing at T6 rooting for us . Should be fun when we get back to the pits.

Next I work my way up to behind Dave and get a good solid lap to follow him around and pick a spot to pass him. When he saw me behind him after T2 he picked up the pace and I did as well. I follow him up the hill, and notice he takes this funky line going into T6, that would push me to the outside. Last lap I knew I would get him there and knew exactly how I was going to do it. Last lap going into T3, he brakes a little too much and I saw an opportunity to try here going up the hill even though it wasn't planned. I try going on the inside up the hill and hes getting on the gas pretty good to try and keep me from passing. I couldn't have given it anymore gas as my tire was spinning all the way through T4. All I could think was I love the fucking tires, would have been a sure highside if I was still on Michelins. Im still right next to Dave, and I see him glance to his right to see if I was still there right before we brake for three. We brake hard, and he drifts to the right and I move to the outside, trail brake a little later, square up the turn, then cut in behind and pass him on the inside coming out of T6. I FLY through the last part of the track making sure I hit every line perfect and don't make any mistakes. I knew Dave is a competitor and would turn on the jets to try and make another pass. I just hold him off and pass the finish line in 2nd. I had used up every ounce of energy I had to pull this off and could hardly sit up on the bike. Dave's doing stand up wheelies everywhere. I didn't even know who was in 1st, and was so focused on my own lines that I didn't even realize we finished just a little bit behind the 1st place guy, which was Leo! when I saw him in front of me in the cool down lap, I was pumped for him because I knew he really earned that win. So I earned another 2nd, and eligible for another $75 from Bridgestone. Also did my personal best that last lap at a 1:20.07.

So I went into the weekend sick, and sore, with low hopes and finished with 4 trophies, $300 for more Bridgestone tires, a personal best, and one of the best times Ive ever had hanging out with all my friends in the pits. Its going to be a long winter!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by strgt; 10-07-09 at 08:35 AM.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Re: Novice #290 10-3/4 Race Report

Awesome!

good ride out there seth. Race 13 was a good one to watch. i was at the bowl with your girl, heather and rui. we were all going nuts. Moving up for next season?...my only neg with moving to AM class is 1st practice.

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Seth-
    Awesome weekend!

Loved watching #13 from T1/2. I could see you initiate the passes going down the hill.... only problem was anxiously waiting to see you pop back out on the other side of the bowl. Seems like it takes forever when you are a spectator.

How the hell did you pack all those medals and cash back to NY?

Take care,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by FirstLightning View Post
    Seth-
    Awesome weekend!

Loved watching #13 from T1/2. I could see you initiate the passes going down the hill.... only problem was anxiously waiting to see you pop back out on the other side of the bowl. Seems like it takes forever when you are a spectator.

How the hell did you pack all those medals and cash back to NY?

Take care,
    Matt
    Ha, I put them around Jaime's neck and told her she needs to practice wearing them

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs699 View Post
    good ride out there seth. Race 13 was a good one to watch. i was at the bowl with your girl, heather and rui. we were all going nuts. Moving up for next season?...my only neg with moving to AM class is 1st practice.
    I might move up, still havent made up my mind. I could be a fast novice, or a slow amateur, so Its not like im blowing everybody away and have to move up. The almost free set of tires is nice too.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

move up, you will automaticly get faster. Ask Jeff #540. he never broke teens once he bumped his first weekend he hit 18's. same goes for myself

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Bridgestones. Race 12 Make-up. First in both classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Bridgestones. Race 12 Make-up. First in both classes.
    Are you Mike with the TZ??? I didnt even know you were on here. I saw the time sheet and saw you finished behind me. Figured that was you from your race report. Nice job!

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

I wanted to catch you bad but your too fast. Damn fast......Damned

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I wanted to catch you bad but your too fast. Damn fast......Damned
    Haha thanks. I think I got some horsepower on you though.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Nice job out there, Seth! This was definitely a fun first season!

Haha, everyone keeps talking about this wheelie. I guess it was pretty bad....I just didn't feel like chopping the throttle only to let more people by. I've had some good starts lately but that one was just awful!

John

04 KTM 125SX
    05 CBR600RR
    07 KTM 250XC-W

Good stuff man, was a fun race. Seeing your shadow on lap 6 of race 13 really pissed me off And that set up on the outside of 6 was awesome, I was so confused after trying to box you out only to find you dive back on the inside, couldnt make pass stick between 7-finish line, you closed the door everywhere on me lol.