Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Novice #331 race report

Novice #331 race report

Friday I headed up for the Penguin Racing School for what was gonna be a cold cold cold rainy weekend. Friday was just really cold, I think lower 40s. First thing I hear from Jim is Freddy crashed in Thursday practice on the line in 1A and slid head first into the tire wall. I talked to him later and has a compression fracture of his C1 vertebrae along with bruising and soreness all over. Not a good way to start my weekend. Anyway I had switched to Dunlops and didn't have the bike set up for them so I had no rear traction all day. End of the day is the rookie race, I get a horrid start cause I'm really scared of launching the bike at the line. So I had to play catch up with 5 or 6 people and I was picking them off on the first lap when on the second lap I flick it right into 1a and bang hit the painted line and spin the rear out from under me and slide towards the tires. I stopped right at the tires and wasn't hurt, only bruised my pinky. Bike isn't as pretty anymore but just really isn't bad at all. the tire marks on the left are worse than the pavement scrapes on the right which are just on the upper corner and a small one on the edge of the top of the side panel. Pissed me off cause I wasn't even pushing hard at all. Not supposed to get your license if you crash in that race but I talked to them and they let me get it anyway. All along the plan was to have Peter Kates measure and set the bike up friday night for the Dunlops. after measuring it he tells me my swingarm angle is so flat that that's why I have no traction. he adjusted the shock all the way up to its limit, almost an inch. then had to raise the front a touch. I know you all know it but I'll say it again, he's the man... for a price

Saturday comes and its cold as shit, I don't think it got above 40 all day. I go out for practice and oh my god I have rear traction now. still felt like I rode like crap. I have race #5. grid up flag flies, awful start which I expected. picked off a few people and finished 6th with a best time of 1:33.326. 10 seconds off my normal pace but its cold as hell and I'm still getting used to Dunlops which are way different than Pirellis.

Saturday night the rain finally comes and goes till probably 10am, so I skipped morning practice as I don't have rain tires and didn't wanna buy them especially for just practice. track dried out for the last hour of practice and lunch and the sun was fighting to come out. I'm up for Race #5 again, Novice GTO and GTU combined. I'm running GTO and on pole. there was just a total of 6 people that started the race (should have been 7). I get an alright start but nothing I'd call a launch and go into T1 in third. pick off Radu I think into T3 and go chasing the lead guy. spent almost the entire 20 minutes behind him. I tried to take him in T1 a couple times cause he was braking really early but I was wide and didn't wanna turn too hard in 1A for fear of the white line so I let him by. Second to last lap I finally blow by him just past the start/finish line and gap him by about 20ft that lap for the win with a best of 1:27.927, ok getting better. Turns out I didn't have to pass him to win, I won GTO, he won GTU but still nice to beat everyone on track.

Second race for me is #12 MW Superbike. I was gridded in 3C and get such a bad start its not even funny. Enter t1 probably in 7th or so. first lap or 2 I picked off everyone but BrianC in first. I kept catching him but his R6 kept pulling on me down the straight so I'd have to make up the gap braking into T1. Last lap I'm probably less than a bike length from him and we come up on a lapper heading for T3. He takes the lapper on the right and I fall in behind like a dummy. Shoulda stayed right on Brian's tail. now he's got a little gap on me of probably 5-6 bike lengths as we go up the hill. I couldn't end it that way so I really put my head down and get right on his ass into T11. As we exit T12 onto the front straight I pull up his inside and just hammer it hoping I had the drive and power to get him. wasn't exactly a photo finish cause I knew I was by him, he was probably still next to me but out of my peripheral, but still cool to take him at the line for my second win denying him his second win (he took the race on Saturday). That was a fun race for sure. Best time of 1:26.128. afterwards Peter Kates comes over and basically tells me to stop being a bitch and open the throttle on corner exit. I was actually thinking the same thing.

So 3 races and 2 wins. not the times I wanted but I'll take it. It was fun once it got decent out and you could feel your fingers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nice going Brett.

Re: Novice #331 race report

Great Report! Hope Freddy heals up.

I didn't consider you a novice until after you completed 3 laps WITHOUT CRASHING!!

Welcome to the club now.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Great Report! Hope Freddy heals up.

I didn't consider you a novice until after you completed 3 laps WITHOUT CRASHING!!

Welcome to the club now.
    totally understandable.

so are 2 wins enough for you

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    totally understandable.

so are 2 wins enough for you
    Like I was told when I was novice... It doesn't mean anything until you are an expert.

But congrats on the wins! I have never won a race.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Like I was told when I was novice... It doesn't mean anything until you are an expert.

But congrats on the wins! I have never won a race.
    must suck when you suck so much

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    must suck when you suck so much
    Still faster than you so how much more do you suck?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Still faster than you so how much more do you suck?
    you're such a "winner" comparing yourself to a novice

Congrats Brett!! i think it was the paintjob that made you win... im just sayin...

Kidding! bike looked great out there. i'm glad you won and finally got your confidence back after saturdays WTF race.... lol

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    Congrats Brett!! i think it was the paintjob that made you win... im just sayin...

Kidding! bike looked great out there. i'm glad you won and finally got your confidence back after saturdays WTF race.... lol
    Mark Cusson said the wet sanded and polished pretty paint job is why I fell.

Yeah but the quality of it is why the scratches were minimal. Lol glad you got back on.

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Congrats on the successful first weekend man and nice to meet you.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Great report Brett... I was in a similar situation as you as far as new tires, no rains, etc... . The weekend was brutal as far as conditions go so pulling 2 wins out of the weekend shows you are a true competitor. Good luck working on your starts, and I'm sure I'll have my work cut out for me to keep running w/you all season.

Brett= "Randolph's Fastest"

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Nice writeup. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Now for my second coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Great report Brett... I was in a similar situation as you as far as new tires, no rains, etc... . The weekend was brutal as far as conditions go so pulling 2 wins out of the weekend shows you are a true competitor. Good luck working on your starts, and I'm sure I'll have my work cut out for me to keep running w/you all season.
    I look at it like Sunday was nice, go for the wins.

LRRS #516

Nice going, man. I didn't catch any of the races but sounds like you're on your way up

keep at it

Good job getting 2 wins on your rookie weekend!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar
    Congrats. Annalisa and I were at the start/finish line for your last race and dramatic run to the line with Brian.

Keep up the good work and don't listen to Doc. He sucks.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    Congrats. Annalisa and I were at the start/finish line for your last race and dramatic run to the line with Brian.

Keep up the good work and don't listen to Doc. He sucks.
    it was so much fun, glad I could give you 2 something fun to watch rather than that boring ass Scott Greenwood lapping the amateur field j/k I really enjoy watching him.

people listen to Doc on the internet?
    he's cool in person though, except when he just laughs at your dumb ass for dropping the bike in the garage

You did awesome Brett! We all loved watching you race man. Good seeing you on Sunday and thanks again for the bolts!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Nice writeup and congrats on the wins!