Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Novice #565 Round 7 Report

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Novice #565 Round 7 Report

And the hits just keep on comin'

It was another awesome weekend. I didn't know if I'd top my rookie weekend, but this one was damned close.

I really wasn't feeling it when I got to the track on Saturday morning. I hadn't done any of the Friday practice, so I wondered how I'd perform with only two morning practices, both of which stunk on ice. I couldn't get under 1:30 and went into race 10 (Nv Formula 40 Lites) a little apprehensive. I grid 5-A, 2nd row in our class.

Well, I got a great launch, but unfortunately, goosed the throttle a little too hard and brought the front wheel up 3 feet in the air. Banging the clutch to settle it, I found myself in dead last (9th) in my class into turn 1. I knew I had to boogie to catch Bill Morey (Yknot), since he's the person I usually target and he got the holeshot.

I managed to pick off 7 of the riders in my class by the end of the first lap and set my sights on Bill. He was a good 15 lengths ahead and there he stayed, pulling out a bit more by the end. I ended up 2nd of 9 with a 1:27.986 best lap, .3 off my personal best, with most laps in the 28's.

Sunday I was feeling better after coming off race 11 on Saturday. My first race was the GTL. Laurie Shaw is usually a contender and having just done the Miss Match, Erik Boos and I figured her for being spent. Well, "old" age has its disadvantages, since I have probably 12 years on her.

I grid 7-C in the 2nd row of our wave. The flag drop and I got an awesome launch, moving right between Laurie and Bill Morey and finding myself in 2nd going into T1 behind Erik. Peter Valach on a white Husky motard blows by me in T3 and by Erik in T4. He was GONE. I hung onto Erik's rear wheel for the first lap and got him under braking into T1, where I stayed until a red flag dropped just before the halfway point.

We regrid and it's almost a carbon copy of the first start. Erik, me, Peter into T1. Peter takes me in T4 again and Erik in T6. I take Erik in T1 on lap 2 with Laurie Shaw hot on my heels. I managed to hold Laurie off for 5 laps. I made a mistake in 3, going wide and she showed me a wheel in T4. I got her under power over the hill and held here until the next lap where again, in T3, I went wide. She did the same and I got 2nd back under power over the hill, but she had the better line going into the bowl and got me on the inside. And then she TOOK OFF, posting a 1:24.7 on that lap. I stayed in 3rd for the remainder of the race and posted my first GT podium, 3rd of 10 riders and a new personal best lap of 1:26.803 and staying on the 27's most of the race.

My last race was LWSS, which I thought was going to be my "easy" race. There was only one other in my class, and 5 total on the grid, including Greg Hall (G21forme) on DDK's EX500. I grid 1-C and lagged a little on the start, but got through 4th gear into T1 and was in first. Billy Solmes, (913 on a Ducati 900SS) was the other person in my class and got hung up for a little more than a lap behind one of the other riders. When he finally broke free, he started closing the gap. I was putting down decent times, but every time I got into the bowl, I'd look back to see him getting a little closer. Gino, Bill Morey, Annalisa, and Ethan (my son) were watching from the top of Gino's trailer in T1. Gino told Annalisa that he knew the race would be decided on the last lap. Well, sure enough. Billy got me in the inside as I was tipping into 11. I hung onto his rear wheel and went for broke coming out of 12, twisting the throttle WFO. I got him just before the line for the win with yet another PB of 1:26.760!

So, my second weekend saw 3 races and 3 podiums! Thanks goes primarily to Annalisa and Ethan, my support group! But thanks to everyone who has been critiquing my riding and offering suggestions at what may help to get me a little faster.

Things I know I need to work on (thanks Bill and Gino for recognizing these) both chicanes need a LOT of work. I lose so much time there, mostly because I rock the bike side to side to slowly. It was fine when I was doing 1:35's, but now that I'm 9 seconds faster, lines that were working then, just aren't working now. I also need to find my line through the bowl. I'm coming in way too shallow and going up too high after the apex. I have made some improvement through T3. Dropping my shoulder there helped.

See y'all in October!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Re: Novice #565 Round 7 Report

Note to self: don't shut motard off on the pregrid.

Good stuff chuck, congrats & good to see youse.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 09-05-10 at 09:23 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Way to go Chuck! Good to see you out there (figuratively) and having fun.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Note to self: don't shut motard off on the pregrid.

Good stuff chuck, congrats & good to see youse.
    If you novii havent noticed, if youre on pregrid too long on a tard they let you do circles on the lower section of pregrid.

Zip Tie Alley #505

That's what that lady sandy said. But someone told me to shut it off. To his credit, he kicked the fuck outta that thing as well.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I always shut mine off. Never had a problem starting it back up.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

3 podiums is nothing to shake a stick at man. Great job.

Awesome job out there Chuck, 1:26.7 is a great time for a sophmore weekend!!

That last lap was pretty exciting, glad you use that motor to get the win.

Three podiums is good work, I'll get sorted out and October just got a little more exciting for me!! See ya then. Good time at dinner Sat too, Elise wants to go again

great write up, and awesome job!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

You did an awesome job this weekend Chuck! It was nice to pit across from you

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

I had fun watching ya Chuck. Great job this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That's what that lady sandy said. But someone told me to shut it off. To his credit, he kicked the fuck outta that thing as well.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you do know that the hot start is the red knob on the side of the carb (next to the choke), right? The routine for a 560 goes like this: pull onto pregrid, find neutral, shut bike off, reach down, pull hot start out, wait until they start sending people for warmup lap, kick bike with throttle hand on brake master cylinder (OFF the throttle, very important), when bike starts push in hot start button, hammer down on warmup lap (wheelie down hot pit optional, but recommended), grid up, holeshot, win race.

The last couple are harder than they look, but if you do it right the bike should fire quickly (at least mine always did).

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I never touch the gas when kicking that thing. It's a good way to get your leg sawed off. It does usually fire pretty good, but not that time. Fired this morning like normal, see ya'all in October.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

keep it up man!!

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper
    I never touch the gas when kicking that thing. It's a good way to get your leg sawed off. It does usually fire pretty good, but not that time. Fired this morning like normal, see ya'all in October.
    Just making sure. Starting a hot motard is a fine art; just trying to pass on my experience, not trying to sound like a dick.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge