Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV- 878 Round 2 Race Report

NV- 878 Round 2 Race Report

Eric at DAS Performance went over my bike and did some stuff to it and figured out my misfiring issue from last year. I was all kinds of excited to be trying the bike out with the new tune and all.

Got to the track early Thursday night and had a chance to set things up and have time to rest and sleep before Friday.

Friday - Was about to go out for first session and I got on the bike to stretch and almost ripped the gas tank off. The tank bolts were missing. Ran around looking for the right bolts. Thanks Dan. Got out for second session and rode a bit and just didn't feel that good. No timer but if I had to guess my laps were probably in the low to mid 30's. The third session I went out and tried to latch onto some faster guys and rode along for a while. After the checker flew, I tried to win practice coming out of the bowl and proceeded to blow turn 8, and went into the gravel in the left of turn 9. I loosened up and almost made it all the way through but at the last second, the bars clacked left and down I went. Missed tumbling out into the track at the turn 9 cones by about 10 feet. Lesson: there's no winner in practice and don't push yourself if you don't know where you're going. Made it out of there with a broken peg and shifter tip.

Made it out for the last 2 sessions and the rest was uneventful.

Saturday - Made it out for practice and again felt very unsmooth and incohesive.

Formula 1 - Gridded in 3A. I got a great start and was slotted in 3rd going into turn 1. I was passed by one or two people and the order pretty much remained from what I remember. I believe the leader crashed out in the bowl in the middle of the race and I ended up in 4 out of 8 finishers.
    Best: 01:28.889 Average laptime: 01:32.208

Formula 2 - Gridded in 4C. I got another decent start in this one but again was passed by a host of people and ended up in 5th after the first lap. I started passing people and was making up places at one point but the yellow came out in the bowl and I lost my concentration for a few corners. I came out of 10 after the yellow and lost my concentration going into 11 and completely blew it running through the grass into NASCAR 4. I was almost through the grass when I noticed a huge mud strip and of course it caught my tire and gave me another moment. This time I kept it up but I could see the corner worker get up towards me. As I was pulling back onto the straight, a bunch of people passed me. Damn. Finished 8 of 15 finishers.
    Best: 01:28.187 Average laptime: 01:30.372

Sunday - I talked to Dan after my morning practice and I confirmed that my line through 6 through 9 was completely knackered. After a whole bunch of coaching from him, I had a plan put together but I would have to practice the line during the warm up lap and try to polish it during the race.

Starter 1 - Gridded 4D. Starter 1 and Starter 2 were leaving as wave 3 behind 2 Amateur waves. I got a decent enough launch but ended up behind 3 or 4 other bikes. WinVT came out of 2 a bit wider than me and came up the inside of me braking into 3. I had a good back and forth with one of the Starter 2 guys. On lap 7 or 8, I ended up catching up to him on the straight and was to his left running up to the 4 board and I dove under him right before we both got on the brakes thinking he would back off. He ended up having steely ass nerves and tipped in with me there and there was contact. Luckily we both stayed up and I was able to get around him. I talked to him afterwards and I think he's all good. I can't remember his name for the life of me. I finished 3 of 4. This race felt extremely fast to me and I felt really smooth for a decent portion of the track. The times show it. I took 1.5 seconds off my PB from last year. Considering I spent most of the weekend in the 30's this was a pleasant end.
    Best: 01:23.799 Average laptime: 01:26.066

I must thank all the people that helped me out this weekend:
    My brother Dan for the extra hands, my mom for all the yummy food, my buddy Andrew for coming up, the T1A/LDR hooligans for all the advice, tools, laughs. Dan (legalspeed) for all of the coaching, it's helped me immensely. Eric at DAS Performance for setting my bike up nicely.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Re: NV- 878 Round 2 Race Report

that's a good jump between days. good job.

Good stuff! I ran the same Formula 1 and Starter 1 races as you, I'm #152 yellow/blue GSXR.

Rich, you were flying man. It was kind of discouraging. haha

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    that's a good jump between days. good job.
    Thanks man. You were looking pretty good out there.

LOL...sorry, kind of a fluke, but I had a great support team to help me. My PB was a 1:19.5. Josh was fast as hell too (183). Your times are no joke with a great improvement!

Way to go Wiggy, you went faster than me this weekend...

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    LOL...sorry, kind of a fluke, but I had a great support team to help me. My PB was a 1:19.5. Josh was fast as hell too (183). Your times are no joke with a great improvement!
    Fluke huh?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Way to go Wiggy, you went faster than me this weekend...
    Thanks man. You'll get it ironed out soon.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats on your new PB! 23s is haulin' pretty darn well.

Damn. Huge jump between days! Nice!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Congrats on your new PB! 23s is haulin' pretty darn well.
    Thanks. But according to the red numbers on my plates, I'm still missing a bunch of "pretty darn well".

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Damn. Huge jump between days! Nice!
    Thanks man. I was definitely off pace all weekend and the crash on Friday spooked me pretty good. I really only found 1.5 seconds or so from my PB last season.