Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Novice 978: Rookie Weekend

Novice 978: Rookie Weekend

First time on the motard, had a good weekend.

Penguin basic was a good time. Crashed in the bowl in one of the later sessions, which is kinda embarrassing, but I got over that real quickly. After talking to CEO, I figure that I was not getting on the gas soon enough, allowing my footpeg to dig harder into the pavement, slowing me down, causing me to lean even more, thus putting me on my ass.

Rookie race, third wave, last grid spot. I ended up in like 3rd or fourth into T1. Adam Butler was long gone, but I ended up passing another SV (not sure who) to take second, running 1:29.6.

I signed up for all the novice/rookie/starter 4 races, which are the ultra lightweights.

Race 9 on Saturday got pulled from the grid because I was leaking water. I was bummed, but after some help from PK, a talk with CEO, and some brain picking of a crew of CRF guys a couple bays down from me, I decided to just replace the outer water pump seal, as it was installed backwards...I had spares to replace both inner and outer seals, the shaft, and bearing, and was debating doing so, but I didn't want to take the right side of the case off, nor did I have the gasket for it. The shaft looked good, so I went with just the seal, and it was fine. Adam, thanks for responding to my message. I had it fixed by the time you called back, I was just looking for some more input.

Sunday practice, set a new PB of 1:29.4, but never saw another time under 1:30 for the rest of the day.

Race 4 Sunday, gridded last, took first into T1 by out-braking everyone, never saw anyone again, rode alone the whole race until I passed some people in the wave in front of me, and a couple am lightweights passed me (Chuck Boucher, and someone else in a black sweatshirt) who I couldn't even come close to staying with them. Ran 1:30s that race.

Race 9 Sunday, initially was red flagged from the first wave. Re-gridded and again, took first into T1 by riding a wheelie through 2.5 gears, and then out-braking everyone into T1. Passed a few from the wave in front of me, and then the race was red-flagged in like lap 5. Again, ran 1:30s.

The rear of my bike was "hopping" considerably up the hill in 4-5 on Sunday, but It was never really sliding, need to figure out what that's happening. Also, front would kinda do the same down 9, on occasion. Never really out of control, but its stopping me from going into those turns harder. My front end is also all over the place over the hill in 5, and then making the flip from 7-8. Guess a steering dampener is my next purchase.

Overall, fun weekend. Happy with 2 first places, but was expecting my times to drop more on Sunday. Next race weekend I'm going to run with the lightweights, because going by times (and since Adam will be bumping to am), I should still be very competitive, and riding with faster people is only going to make me faster. Looking to get that bump to Am sooner then later.

Big thanks to everyone that helped me this weekend. Penguin school, corner workers, ECK guys, PK and his crew, CEO, everyone in the garage next to me, and so many more.

Oh, and Adam Butler, you are absolutely FLYING out there, great time talking to you, keep it up!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Novice 978: Rookie Weekend

A steering damper on my CRF did absolutely nothing. Just part of riding a motard IMO. Nice job out there and can't wait to see you progress! Not bad times at all for first time on the bike and first race weekend!!!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

good job out there. I didn't know that was you talking to CEO about the water pump stuff, I was standing right next to him.

Good job Jay. Way to rock the starts. It was great to meet you!! See you in May.

This may sound counter intuitive, but get on it a bit harder up the hill. My KTM would chatter hard unless I HAMMERED it, then it'd just grip and rip. (Ok, 1:25s isn't hammering, but damn it, it felt fast to me!) On the bar wiggle, that's normal, I'd get it going down the hill before 6, up the hill flipping over for 7, and down the front before 1. Loosen your grip, let it do it's thing for starters. Butt back, head down and it'll likely calm down some, especially down the front straight. For 7, you're on the gas AND flipping it from side to side, it's going to want to wander as the front lightens up. When I was the smoothest through that section I'd be just clipping the right edge of the track, touching dirt for a sec and the KTM seemed to like that route the best.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I like the damper for those 2 spots. 5, and the flip by the treehouse.

Chatter in the front in 9 is common with turds, just accept it and you'll be fine.

The only other thing I can recommend is have pk bounce and adjust your bike. Confidence is key.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Don't discount the wind contributing to the front end not feeling right. I was feeling the same thing in the same spots you mentioned.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    A steering damper on my CRF did absolutely nothing. Just part of riding a motard IMO. Nice job out there and can't wait to see you progress! Not bad times at all for first time on the bike and first race weekend!!!
    Great, guess I'll hold off then because they aren't exactly cheap. I saw a bunch of guys running them, so I kinda assumed it was the norm. I never got the scary speed wobbles, it was just earily similar to riding dirt at speeds, a bouncy, light back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    good job out there. I didn't know that was you talking to CEO about the water pump stuff, I was standing right next to him.
    Ha, funny. I stopped by the garage a few times on Friday, as I was in the penguin garages right there. But on Saturday and Sunday, I was in the south garages, and it was way to cold to make the walk up there regularly. Next race weekend I'll make sure to stop by.

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Good job Jay. Way to rock the starts. It was great to meet you!! See you in May.
    Definitely! Glad to put a face to a name, can't wait to see your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    This may sound counter intuitive, but get on it a bit harder up the hill. My KTM would chatter hard unless I HAMMERED it, then it'd just grip and rip. (Ok, 1:25s isn't hammering, but damn it, it felt fast to me!) On the bar wiggle, that's normal, I'd get it going down the hill before 6, up the hill flipping over for 7, and down the front before 1. Loosen your grip, let it do it's thing for starters. Butt back, head down and it'll likely calm down some, especially down the front straight. For 7, you're on the gas AND flipping it from side to side, it's going to want to wander as the front lightens up. When I was the smoothest through that section I'd be just clipping the right edge of the track, touching dirt for a sec and the KTM seemed to like that route the best.
    That was probably the perfect description of everything I've been experiencing on a motard. I'm not quite in the dirt through 8, but I'm right next to the rumble strip. Glad to see what I'm experiencing is all pretty normal! Bike ran great all weekend, can't wait to get up to Am and get in the Motard race, it looked fun as hell. Guess I just need to man up, and give her the beans.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats on surviving your first race weekend!

I am sorry that we didnt get the chance to meet but it sounds like you were making it happen out there. just FYI I was getting chatter in 9 on my SV which is uncommon at the pace I was running. Wind and cold temps for sure so I wouldnt go overboard worrying about it. As Chip mentioned I would get PK to take a look at it and see what he can do for you. Confidence IS key!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I like the damper for those 2 spots. 5, and the flip by the treehouse.

Chatter in the front in 9 is common with turds, just accept it and you'll be fine.

The only other thing I can recommend is have pk bounce and adjust your bike. Confidence is key.
    Interesting, I may have to try a damper out when conditions are a bit better then.

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Don't discount the wind contributing to the front end not feeling right. I was feeling the same thing in the same spots you mentioned.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Congrats on surviving your first race weekend!

I am sorry that we didnt get the chance to meet but it sounds like you were making it happen out there. just FYI I was getting chatter in 9 on my SV which is uncommon at the pace I was running. Wind and cold temps for sure so I wouldnt go overboard worrying about it. As Chip mentioned I would get PK to take a look at it and see what he can do for you. Confidence IS key!
    I didn't get around to meeting a lot of people, but there's many more weekends for that! Thanks for the info, I'm definitely looking forward to some more favorable conditions to see if the problems persist before I start making any suspension changes at the moment. Suspension was set up by Martire, so I have a lot of trust in it, but obviously different strokes for different folks. Per his suggestion, I'm going to try it out for a few weekends and go from there.

By any chance, was that you talking with CEO when I pulled up in a silver 4Runner? After the races....I think it was Saturday.

Instead of a damper, tighten the steering stem nut a little more. And like Kurlon said, more gas is the solutioun to most everything on a motard. When you're racing a tard, the throttle really has only 2 positions: closed and WFO.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Nice to meet you man. Good work getting out there.

I had some bad headshake a few times when I was learning to ride a tard.

On the straight and back straight, slide your ass way back and drop down low like you're trying to be aerodynamic or something and the bike won't tankslap.

As for the 4/5 and 8 areas, try to not use the bars when you move around on the bike. A lot of times in 4/5 you're upshifting while hanging off and you slide back on the bike and then people use the bars to pull themselves back into position. Same thing making the transition in 8. Especially since the bars are so long you have a lot of leverage so try not to use them when you make your movements.

Last edited by CEO; 04-30-12 at 05:59 PM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

It was nice to meet you this weekend. Wish I had more time to spend over in your garage but between trying to figure out a bike Ive never ridden and a crazy ass dog it was a little difficult this weekend. I did get to watch a bit of one of your races. When I saw you going up the hill into 4 before anyone else was going into 3 on the first lap I knew it was over. You looked pretty good out there. Dont be too obsessed with the times this weekend. It was cold and windy. Everyone was off. Plus it was your first weekend. They will start dropping fast now.

Im glad you took advantage of the free garage this weekend. I was a bit surprised there was only two of you there. Now that youre kind of on your own dont be afraid to stop by our garage if you have questions or problem or just want to waste a little time. Between me and Peter we probably have an answer

James

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    By any chance, was that you talking with CEO when I pulled up in a silver 4Runner? After the races....I think it was Saturday.
    Very well could have been, I'm not sure I remember a silver 4runner, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Instead of a damper, tighten the steering stem nut a little more. And like Kurlon said, more gas is the solutioun to most everything on a motard. When you're racing a tard, the throttle really has only 2 positions: closed and WFO.
    Points taken.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Nice to meet you man. Good work getting out there.

I had some bad headshake a few times when I was learning to ride a tard.

On the straight and back straight, slide your ass way back and drop down low like you're trying to be aerodynamic or something and the bike won't tankslap.

As for the 4/5 and 8 areas, try to not use the bars when you move around on the bike. A lot of times in 4/5 you're upshifting while hanging off and you slide back on the bike and then people use the bars to pull themselves back into position. Same thing making the transition in 8. Especially since the bars are so long you have a lot of leverage so try not to use them when you make your movements.
    This all makes a lot of sense. Grabbing gears while in near full lean was something that took a little getting used to. I have a solid list going now on things to try next time I'm out there, gonna have to see what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    It was nice to meet you this weekend. Wish I had more time to spend over in your garage but between trying to figure out a bike Ive never ridden and a crazy ass dog it was a little difficult this weekend. I did get to watch a bit of one of your races. When I saw you going up the hill into 4 before anyone else was going into 3 on the first lap I knew it was over. You looked pretty good out there. Dont be too obsessed with the times this weekend. It was cold and windy. Everyone was off. Plus it was your first weekend. They will start dropping fast now.

Im glad you took advantage of the free garage this weekend. I was a bit surprised there was only two of you there. Now that youre kind of on your own dont be afraid to stop by our garage if you have questions or problem or just want to waste a little time. Between me and Peter we probably have an answer
    Damn, I had no idea you were union on here, always glad to put faces to name. I'll definitely be popping in and out of your garage space over the season. I appreciate all the help you guys gave me, the mentor program type thing was great. It really helped me figure out what was going on.

Also you should be able to grab 5th gear between 6 and 7 so at the top of the hill where you're flipping side to side for 8 you don't have to do much except your body transition.

Then I grab a downshift going into 9 and a light touch of the brakes but I know not everyone does this. It helps drive out of 10. Then I grab two down in 11.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Also you should be able to grab 5th gear between 6 and 7 so at the top of the hill where you're flipping side to side for 8 you don't have to do much except your body transition.

Then I grab a downshift going into 9 and a light touch of the brakes but I know not everyone does this. It helps drive out of 10. Then I grab two down in 11.
    I do all of this, just as you said it. Shift points were a huge focus for me this weekend, because I kept on trying to grab a non-existent 6th gear.

Ok good deal. BTW I looked at my rear sprocket after you mentioned it and I believe I have a 39 toother. My bike was doing 18's before I bought it so it must be good lol

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Great job this weekend, Jay! You were lookin really good out there. Sub 1:30's is a great position to be in as a 1st weekend rookie. I see you doing very well if you're able to stick with it.

Where are you going to be pitting for next round?

-Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Great job this weekend, Jay! You were lookin really good out there. Sub 1:30's is a great position to be in as a 1st weekend rookie. I see you doing very well if you're able to stick with it.

Where are you going to be pitting for next round?
    Thanks Pete, a couple Tony's days are in my future for sure, so get ready to tow me around for some laps.

I don't know where I'm pitting next weekend yet. Deb gave me her number and told me to give her a call if I was looking for a spot. She was awesome to pit next too, I got an unbelievable amount of help from her, would have been completely lost otherwise. Also, I talked to a few CRF guys a few bays down and grabbed a number from them as well for a potential garage. Nothing in stone yet, so I'm still looking at my options.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Thanks Pete, a couple Tony's days are in my future for sure, so get ready to tow me around for some laps.

I don't know where I'm pitting next weekend yet. Deb gave me her number and told me to give her a call if I was looking for a spot. She was awesome to pit next too, I got an unbelievable amount of help from her, would have been completely lost otherwise. Also, I talked to a few CRF guys a few bays down and grabbed a number from them as well for a potential garage. Nothing in stone yet, so I'm still looking at my options.
    Between north 9 and 10 we can probably find a spot for you if you get stuck. Inevitability there's always a person or two who can't make it up.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Nice meeting you and hanging out some. Your doing great out there on that Tard, wish I could ride one that well. keep up the good work and you'll be flying around in no time.
    See ya next weekend bud!

Between north 9 and 10 we can probably find a spot for you if you get stuck. Inevitability there's always a person or two who can't make it up.
    Good to know, I'll see how these options play out, and then see where to go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    Nice meeting you and hanging out some. Your doing great out there on that Tard, wish I could ride one that well. keep up the good work and you'll be flying around in no time.
    See ya next weekend bud!
    Glad to see you were able to keep on racing after your crash.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Glad to see you were able to keep on racing after your crash.
    You shush that dirty mouth of yours! LMAO... I actually raced a few years back and did not even need to take the class (Found that out after I took it) So luckily they pushed me through. I'm a numskull for crashing in a rookie race... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    You shush that dirty mouth of yours! LMAO... I actually raced a few years back and did not even need to take the class (Found that out after I took it) So luckily they pushed me through. I'm a numskull for crashing in a rookie race... ;-)
    At least you didn't crash in the penguin basic course like I did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast