Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV# 122 rookie weekend (brady) - the good, the bad & the dummy

NV# 122 rookie weekend (brady) - the good, the bad & the dummy

boring intro:
    Even after giving myself a month after the rookie race to prep, I was up until 2:30am Saturday finishing the belly pan and safety wire. Got up at 5am, fabbed up the last bracket, packed up, rode away, arrived at the track in a daze at 7:30.
    I took a lap around the outfield, didn't see anyone I recognized...oh hey Brett, want some company? He promptly unfolded a chair for me, nice! In no time I had a pile of saddlebags/tailbag, tools, and extra clothes marking my spot in the rocks.

My Inspector Gadget one piece tailight/blinker/plate assembly was off in 30 seconds with 2 Dzus fasteners, front blinkers and mirrors are quick, but I'd never had the headlight or sidestand off so those took another 45 minutes to remove and tidy up the wires. After registration, multiple visits to Street & Comp for numbers and tire mounting (Bergs doesn't live far from me and brought my spare rims and rear stand, thanks!). Then finally tech. I was beat already and missed both practices. I sat in my new chair and had a sammich.

getting closer to race time:
    I did bump into Doug from my Penguin class, his son Ty, and Roland at the riders meeting, but hadn't seen many others I recognized. Then I went to T3 to watch the experts kick it off. Every time I watch an expert race I get scared, it looks crazy, I wonder why I ever thought I could ride competently on track. Today? Yup, WTF was I thinking?

My first ever, and only race Saturday is race 9 NV LWGP, so I spend the next 8 hours it seems sitting nervously, eating, wandering the pits/outfield, and socializing minimally. I also see Chris Aho, fresh from Penguin on Friday and in my race, but gridded somehow in UL wave 2.

We finally start getting calls for our race. I suit up, start up, and things start feeling right as I get on the bike.

the good! 2nd place LWGP:
    I line up on pre-grid in 2B, am finally happy and excited, and have a good aggressive warm-up lap. The start goes well enough, I gain a spot into T1, pass the next guy ahead of me within a lap or 2?, and have only Bill Coolahan (Mustang) ahead of me, but in sight. This is way too much fun!
    Some laps I gain a little on Bill, then I make a mistake in T3 and he gains it back, but he's usually tipping into T6 as I'm cresting the hill. I finish in 2nd, with a best lap of 1:28.3 which turns out to be the fastest lap of the race, so some consolation. Wow that was so worth the wait!

I look at times on the results sheet and see that 2 SV's gridded in the ULGP (second wave of our race) actually beat our times, including my buddy Chris. Now I'm feeling a little bad for them, but we do all know it's Novice and it's just good to be racing. I stumble upon the trophy ceremony, meet Bill for the first time, and am chatting excitedly with Chris and Roland when I actually heard my name called. Huh? Someone waved a certificate and I realized I should get up there. Yup, it's only Novice, it was only a piece of paper, and it still felt really cool to stand there like a geek.

Packed up, rode home, fell asleep at 7:30. Bed never felt so good.

Sunday, the rain:
    My alarm was set for 5:00, so I wake up at 4am and lie there for an hour. Coffee, pack up, have an uneventful and not too wet ride back to the track. I find a garage to squat in with some sympathetic NESRians, get the bike back to race trim, and go outside. The rain has let up and the track is only damp, so I go out for some laps on my street tires to feel things out, don't need to burn up the rains.
    By the race time the Biblical downpours had begun, so I got the spare wheels with rains on the bike (thanks for the help, advice, and torque wrench, John). Started getting suited up at first call, and still almost missed the warm-up lap for...

the bad! race 3 NV GTL, the take down:
    Rode what I thought was a fairly aggressive warm-up lap, my first laps ever on (used) rains, but they felt good of course.

I gridded up in 1B, launched like it was dry and got a good start. I felt relaxed and fast heading towards T1, but still saw Bill (Mustang) come up the inside beside me. No problem, plenty of room, I'm looking up ahead and we're tipping in nicely until all of a sudden he's straight up across my bow and heading to Nascar T1. My front gets hung up on his rear tire as I'm still leaned over and down I go through the cones. I have a nice slide, barely holed my rain gear. No bumps, bruises, or soreness. The bike breaks the clutch lever and tach housing, pretzels the shifter and rod, bends the rear set, and gets a minor scar on the tail. FACK! A 20 minute race and I don't even get around T1? And how come he didn't go down? He could have at least lost the race. I'll admit I was pissed, but I got over it. He tried to find me later, but who wants to walk around in the pouring rain not knowing where to look. He caught up with me online with a heartfelt apology, and it's all good.
    >

I had a long slosh back with the SV from T1 to the North garages (that pond off the end of pre-grid is deep), but the "grid guy" pushed for awhile and saved me from a heart attack. I forget your name, but a huge thanks for that.

With help from everyone around me (and a borrowed hammer from the "motard crew" further down the garage) I got everything straightened or replaced in plenty of time for...

the dummy! race 9 NV LW SB:
    I run a very tentative warm-up lap and grid up in what I thought was my assigned 2A. As the 1 board turns I notice the same guy that saved my ass pushing back to the garages is staring at me and holding me for the second wave. WTF? his eyes say WTF yourself stupid rookie! and I realize I gridded in 3A...WTF me!
    I take off in the second wave, lousy start, lousy laps, but the rain tires swim well through Oceans 10 and 11. Then my shifter starts feeling weird (you all know what's coming now, don't you?). Into the T3 chute on the 3rd? lap there's nothing to downshift with, so I wave big and pull into the 3/10 split. Shifter rod is gone, I never tightened the jam nuts after double-checking everything but then readjusting the shifter height. The corner workers were entertaining, very helpful, and tried to convince me to finish the race in one gear, but at that point I decided it was a friendly place to finish the day.

I put the street stuff back on, packed up, and had an uneventful ride home (less than an hour BTW). Thanks to Ted Temple for the shifter rod to get me home using all the gears!

thanks to:
    Bergs and his trailer, Brett, Chipper, Pigman, John the expert SV guy across the bench, Ted Temple, Continental Tires

It was great meeting everyone else I had time for, and see you at the Classic!

PS: every LRRS staff member and corner worker I dealt with was awesome, you guys were helpful and kicked ass!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by brady; 05-16-11 at 09:30 PM.
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Re: NV# 122 rookie weekend (brady) - the good, the bad & the dummy

Damn. You're nuts!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Man you had quite the weekend! Congrats on coming out unscathed!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Let me know if you'd rather have truck transport you sick, sick SOB.

Congrats! Fantasic rookie weekend and a great write up.

I had read Mustang's report and asked how you were doing and was told you rode your bike home in the rain. I said to myself WHAT? Good report, wild weekend, glad your OK !
    Not sure I can hang around you any more you are way to crazy
    Hope to see you in June

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nice write up Brady. Sorry about the get-off and you are one crazy bastard. Congrats on the conti contingency ;-)

crazy novices. glad you had an overall good weekend.

Have motorcycle, will travel. Awesome Brady. Fucking awesome.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Talking Re: NV# 122 rookie weekend (brady) - the good, the bad & the dummy

Thanks guys. If I had only known my "ride to the races" was going to be the easy part of the weekend.....I'd do it again anyway

Last edited by brady; 05-17-11 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spellun

No problem you Crazy Fucker.......

Brady, Nicely done. You have brought back an old time tradition to the club. Just ten years ago, people were riding to the races, building their own bikes/chasis, tearing down engines on the pavement saturday night, racing despite all the obstacles. And of course, people rose to the occasion to help out, even direct competitors. It's what made the club something so addictive and hard to leave. Keep up the spirit!

(I know that the spirit still lives, but things have changed a lot at the track)

Paul_E_D

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

That was some weekend. Glad we got to meet briefly. We were watching the GTL from the front straight and saw everything. Tough break.

Bill was a bit of a wreck emotionally after the race, because of what had happened. But it's racing and anything can happen at any time.

Congrats on the first time podium. Now you know what it feels like to get something for your efforts (see the "Trophies" thread).

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Great write-up brady! That's awesome that you rode your race bike to the races. That does explain why you were still in your riding pants at Saturday's trophy ceremony and it does confirm the suspicion I had that you were commuting on your race bike when I saw you leave that evening!

Congrats on the podium and for being hard core!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

"Oceans 10 and 11!"

Little tip, it goes like this: Avast ye mateys! Hoist the mainsail, Hard to port, now hard to starboard, now back to port and full speed ahead!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Dude, you need a truck.

I watched your spill in 1, and am very surprised that much stuff bent on your bike. It looked like a slip and slide sort of lowside. Glad you got back out there.

Oh, and, dude, get a truck.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Great seeing you there, Brady! Congrats on the 2nd place finish!

Thats some good stuff! Glad everything kinda worked out.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    surprised that much stuff bent on your bike. It looked like a slip and slide sort of lowside.
    me too; I wonder if I rode up on his rear tire a bit and then it slammed down?
    Oh, and, dude, get a truck.
    I was thinking maybe a small trailer to tow behind me?

I think I've gotten all the and we need out of my system, so I'll just go on to say awesome fucking job taking 2nd place and fastest lap in your first race! I foresee some fun dicing it up with you out there

Wicked hardcore riding to/from the races on your race bike...you're crazy!

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Awesome dude ! Great write up

Nice job in u rookie weekend, I miss be with all u guys , hopefully I be there by July with a new bike, u have the accttitude to be a good racer, hope see u zoom to share some good race weekends!

come up and hang with us for the Classic weekend?!

PS: my CCS license just arrived, and looks like I'll be changing my screen name to "andy"

Damn you! I have been on the fence about getting licensed and doin' the deed because I was afraid I would be the jackass that came half prepared and tired from a long night of fretting over all the shit I would forget to do. Well, at least I won't be the first! Next stop, Penguin School (again) and goodies to prep my 696 for the track. Anyone know what class a 696 Monster can race in? It's all so confusing for a dipshit, um, rookie like me.