Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV# 142 - Rookie Race Report

What an amazing weekend! I have never met a more friendly and helpful group of people before.

I showed up Friday morning to attend Penguin. The attendance was pretty light – about five folks. I was the only one planning to stay and race Saturday. Steve was the instructor and I had the opportunity to follow him one on one for most of the day. Great guy, funny and really helpful.

Unlike all the other race reports – I cannot remember hardly any details about the races. Part of it was I was a bit overwhelmed trying to remember how to ride, the track, the rules and attempting to do well.

Saturday

Rookie Race – 12 entries showed up. Most of the folks must have taken the class previous weeks. It seemed to be a single file three lap parade. The focus for me was not to crash. Mission accomplished.

Race 3 – Supertwins. I don’t remember much other than I amazed myself that I could actually perform a decent standing start. I passed a few folks, got lapped by a few from the earlier wave. I finished 5th with unimpressive lap times.

Sunday

Race 1 – GTL. This was a ton of fun. A good start (relative for a rookie). I made a pass in 1, 3 and 9 on different laps. The race was red flagged about 13 minutes in. I put a string of 1.25 laps together and was really happy - I even took third place!

Race 11 – LWSS. Horrible start – wheelies and the clutch modulation of a gorilla. It felt like I was learning to ride the bike and the track all over again. My times were off from earlier. To cap it off I lowsided in 2 causing a red flag and ending the race – sorry guys. I wish I knew what I did to cause it so I can correct it – but I have no idea. I just remember sliding into the air fence, laying on my back for a few seconds and watching another bike follow me in. Thankfully he landed a few feet back toward 2.

Overall the little SV650 did great and I have a bit of repair work to do for October. I was pretty pleased with my first time out. Taking home a trophy made the crash a bit more tolerable. I cannot thank everyone enough. There were so many people who offered advice, guidance, help and support. That is what really made it a great weekend.

I look forward to meeting some more people next weekend.

Matt

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: NV# 142 - Rookie Race Report

Saw that crash. Look like you just tucked the front, but I dont remember clearly. The guy behind you fixated on your bike HARD. He rode into the air fence and fell over. Kinda funny.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I watched you in 2 on Sunday and was the guy that picked you up. The transition in turn 2 looked a lot harsher than before when you go in wide and come out low (if that makes sense)

I could tell the people that had suspension work done and who didn't by how the bikes took that bump. I did not see exactly what happened, but seeing that you are on an SV i would bet that you bit that bump with the notoriosuly weak front suspension and it sent you on your way. I was hoping to not red flag the race but when that other bike went down (ever so slowly) I had to because i was all by myself in the turn and could not safely deal with 2 bikes at a time.

All in all it sounds like you had a good weekend though!

Hey reiobard - thanks for helping me up... and for pointing out I no longer had a shift lever. Probably would have taken me a while longer to look down and figure that out.

Next time out I will look for that transition based on entry and exit and see if I can smooth it out. Thanks for the tip.

Seems like you had a good first weekend despite the T2 incident. Welcome to the addiction!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Seems like you had a good first weekend despite the T2 incident. Welcome to the addiction!
    Yes and plan on selling your 1st born or whatever it takes..

1:25's as a Novice are good times! Congrats!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Thanks guys!

As I am assembling parts for October it appears I will be eating Ramen noodles again. It has been a while since I have done that.

The upside is I might drop a few pounds and go faster.