Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

NV #313 Round 2 Report/Crash Video

Re: NV #313 Round 2 Report/Crash Video

Actually, WinVT, I haven't raced a 600, so I retract my advice about clutchless downshifts. I have done it to good effect on every bike I have raced, pavement or dirt, but if you're terrified to try it, maybe don't. Or at least do it at a pace where you can react if things go wrong.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I'm glad you got out of that without much damage, but sucks you missed the next race. Sorry I wasn't any help, I was still recovering from my race and didn't realize you were in a time crunch. I'll be a better pit mate next time, but we should probably just adopt Trouble, too.
    I would adopt just for the facial hair alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Actually, WinVT, I haven't raced a 600, so I retract my advice about clutchless downshifts. I have done it to good effect on every bike I have raced, pavement or dirt, but if you're terrified to try it, maybe don't. Or at least do it at a pace where you can react if things go wrong.
    I do clutchless downshifts on my GSXR600. Once I'm rolling I don't touch the clutch. Maybe that's why I'm slow though. I give every downshift a good blip while modulating the brake at the same time and it just pops right in.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I know you aren't supposed to use cones as reference points but I'm gonna just because its the easiest way to describe the line. Tip in for T3 at the second to last cone. draw a line from there through the apex all the way to about a foot inside of that dark black patch of pavement on the left at the second nascar transition. keep turning in a smooth arc and it'll point you right up the hill to the apex of 4. from that black patch you get a much straighter shot up the hill and it keeps you away the off camber part that's on the outside of 4.
    Thanks, this is helpful. I think I tip in too late and definitely blow the apex of 3.... and then I get on the gas too early on my exit which sends me way too wide and I blow the apex of 4 as well. Definitely something to work on next weekend. I appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I'm glad you got out of that without much damage, but sucks you missed the next race. Sorry I wasn't any help, I was still recovering from my race and didn't realize you were in a time crunch. I'll be a better pit mate next time, but we should probably just adopt Trouble, too.
    Hah, no worries! Even with the bike fixed, I didn't have a replacement helmet and I think I was too shaken up to get out there and race!

I'm definitely gonna try it and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    I would adopt just for the facial hair alone.

I do clutchless downshifts on my GSXR600. Once I'm rolling I don't touch the clutch. Maybe that's why I'm slow though. I give every downshift a good blip while modulating the brake at the same time and it just pops right in.
    Yeah i've been talking to a friend that used to race and he claims the key to a smooth downshift, clutch or not, is a good blip of the throttle. Something I need to work on.

LRRS #313

Glad your okay.

Funny story, in the second race that you missed, I noticed you were behind my number on the tower while going down the straight, so I was pushing to keep you behind me. I kept checking the tower every lap...didn't realize you were DNS until later when I checked the results. I was basically racing myself. Thanks for the motivation.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Perfecting the use of the clutch during downshifts will offer you much more later on down the road as your pace increases. Try doing the clutchless thing if you wish but it's not a great habit to get into, IMO.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

yeah I just can't see how not using the clutch on downshifts is a good thing. I still can't figure out how you match revs without disengaging the clutch.

Well, with a slipper clutch, you are not actually doing much at the lever that the ramp and spring set up won't do for you.

What do I know though...

Paul_E_D

Well, with a slipper clutch, you are not actually doing much at the lever that the ramp and spring set up won't do for you.

What do I know though...
    It limits a rider's ability if/ when they are using another machine since all they know is to depend on their slipper to do all the work. I don't mind agreeing to disagree here but I will always beleive that there is more available to a rider who knows how to perform such inputs as rev matching, for example.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Sucks about the crash but glad you came out relatively well. Congrats on your new PB as well. 23 flat for your maiden voyage is pretty spectacular!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12