Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NV #319 Classic Weekend

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

NV #319 Classic Weekend

The last week has been awesome. It started with showing up Monday night for the pro school. That entire experience was amazing, but that's a whole nother writeup. Suffice to say it was time and $ very well spent.

Thursday I took the day off & let Leeza ride my bike. It was raining, and I needed the recovery time anyway.

Friday practices were typical, nothing worth mention. PTwin came around and I was gridded up with 2 other bikes, very low attendance. I just went out and ran laps. I don't think I diced with anyone much. 6 crashed in 11 & put his bike between someone in my race and the right hander he needed to make for T12, so he ended up doing the pit in/pit out thing. I knew something was wrong when I lapped him, thought maybe he fell and got back up. Easy win. I did get a pretty good start, and meg got a good picture of me starting as well. That was cool. Thanks Meg!

Saturday started off with GTL. It had been raining and the track was very wet, so we went out on rains. I'd never been on them before, that was a trip. Preteen got a good start, and I just rode around feeling the tires out. By lap 5 or so I was completely by myself, some people were behind me but most were in front, fully checked out on me. As I got more and more comfortable with the rains I picked it up more and more, and finally saw Christian in the distance, most of the way down the straight as I came out of 12. Finally! Something to chase! From then on I got him a little closer and closer each lap, until the red flag. I ended up riding off the track 3 times, but they were all uneventful. Once I ran wide out of 6, the new runoff saved me. Once someone stood it up and went to the oval from 11 and I ended up in the grass for a half second avoiding a collision. The third time I actually flicked the bike too hard for the last part of 12 onto the straight and cut the apex a hair. Ended up in 6th of 12, working my times down each lap to a best of 35.2. Much better than I thought, and for a first time in the rain I'll take it.

Sat LWSM: Got a shit start and had to sort through some traffic from the race in front to hunt preteen. Caught him quickly enough, but could not for the life of me get around him. He was running some crazy lines in the places he knew I usually would pass him, and I couldn't get by safely. Also turns out my tires were shot - there was some question the day before but we did a bunch of suspension work to try to correct it so I decided to try it again. Bad call. I was losing the rear out of 2 & 12 almost every lap, and the bike actually highsided me off in 4 once. I was fortunate enough to be able to hang onto the bars and land back on the bike, which was nice. Now I know why they call it "highside hill". That wasn't much fun. New shoes before I go back out on track for sure.

After the race I mentioned preteen's insane blocking lines to him (not giving him shit, just "damn, I never knew there were blocking lines in 3 & 6!") and he said "I knew you were there, so..." and laughed. Today he says "well I was tired by LWSM, and my lines may have gotten erratic on accident, but I wasn't doing it on purpose". Either way, he ran a good race and a bunch of low 27s to finish in front of me. I ran most of my laps faster but just couldn't make the pass. I did run all 27s and 26s (except the out lap) with a new PB of 26.525, so I can't complain. I know I could have gone faster as well, if I had the rear hooking up and nobody in front of me holding me up in certain places.

All in all, I guess I'm happy with it. I know for sure that next time I'm on the fence about a tire, I'm going to just swap it. Losing a little time is one thing, but that recovered highside in 4 could have gone very poorly, and cost me a lot more than a new rear tire.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by "Dangerous" Dan K; 06-14-10 at 05:22 PM.

Re: NV #319 Classic Weekend

Sorry for holding you up haha. You won't have to worry about it next weekend.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

That's racing man - congrats on your win!

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    I ended up in the grass for a half second avoiding a collision.
    I thought you were going to eat it when I saw you go off track.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    I thought you were going to eat it when I saw you go off track.
    Which time? 11 avoiding that collision? Eh... did you even pass me then? :

Good write up, you forgot to mention you would have gained a lot more time on Cristian in GTL if you where not nervous about being taken out by some asshole out in the rain on a slick tire.....

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

There was that too, I def took my time getting around you since you were running a slick in the fucking rain and I figured as soon as I got next to you you'd take me out. I was still in my "feel out what rain tires are about" stage then anyway. I don't even remember where I passed you but I'm pretty sure I did it while you were straight up & down.

Turns out I was right about that rear tire and it only being a matter of time before you went down anyway

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Who would be stupid enough to try that combination? Oh wait

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

There was that too, I def took my time getting around you since you were running a slick in the fucking rain and I figured as soon as I got next to you you'd take me out. I was still in my "feel out what rain tires are about" stage then anyway. I don't even remember where I passed you but I'm pretty sure I did it while you were straight up & down.

Turns out I was right about that rear tire and it only being a matter of time before you went down anyway
    Good thing I didn't know he was running a slick...I might have hesitated getting around him.

Yeah, it was not confidence inspiring.

Was there anyone behind me when my bike decided it wanted to play "big bike" and highside me off in 4? I'm curious wtf happened there...

I was not behind you, but I can tell you what happened... It hapens to me almost every lap. You get on the gas before the second transition, your rear breaks coming off the transition, it either got to far out and you choped the gas or you are not used to it coming lose and you choped the gas and had a "moment". The only weird thing was how far up the hill you where for yours. Maybe it came out later than mine usually does.

LRRS #951

I was WOT by the second transition. It happened so late, I think something else had to have gone wrong. I had not moved right/left yet (i wait for after the shift) so I wasn't heavy on the bars. I know I was planted off the 2nd transition, I was well past the T4 apex cone when I lost it. I'm lost...

ehhh.... Don't over analyze it... just put a new tire on it and go from there.

LRRS #951

I was WOT by the second transition. It happened so late, I think something else had to have gone wrong. I had not moved right/left yet (i wait for after the shift) so I wasn't heavy on the bars. I know I was planted off the 2nd transition, I was well past the T4 apex cone when I lost it. I'm lost...
    Shit... there is a picture of you WHEELING the Ex500... Preteen did a HUGE burnout with an Ex500 and now they are highsiding em coming out of 4! is the world coming to? It must have something to do with the impending 2012 appocalypse!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    ehhh.... Don't over analyze it... just put a new tire on it and go from there.
    New tire!? Preteen did a the HUGE burnout and there was PLENTY of tire left.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    They are just coming up with ways to not say that their Bridgestones suck.

Dan had divots in the side of his tires you coulda hid a golf ball in.... after every tread there was a divot.. Not a normal wear pattern, kinda scary... But hey, WTF its an ex.

LRRS #951

Dan had divots in the side of his tires you coulda hid a golf ball in.... after every tread there was a divot.. Not a normal wear pattern, kinda scary... But hey, WTF its an ex.
    Is it a rebound issue? Might explain the near moon shot.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Is it a rebound issue? Might explain the near moon shot.
    That shock was FUCKED when i rode it. He made adjustments but that was before the almost highside.

LRRS #951

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    They are just coming up with ways to not say that their Bridgestones suck.
    Heh, guys much faster than us are rocking the 090s outside of Loudon, if you're trying to ride them with Dunlop pressure settings you'll have problems. Get the pressures right and they grip pretty damn well. I haven't tried the 003RSs yet though, so I can't comment on them.

If it happened after the T4 apex cone, you got the slide where the incline changes. I've gotten a slide there a few times on my motard (on really good laps when I got on the power where I was supposed to). You go from a steep uphill to a drastically less steep uphill and if you hit it right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) you get a slide.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

That shock was FUCKED when i rode it. He made adjustments but that was before the almost highside.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    If it happened after the T4 apex cone, you got the slide where the incline changes. I've gotten a slide there a few times on my motard (on really good laps when I got on the power where I was supposed to). You go from a steep uphill to a drastically less steep uphill and if you hit it right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) you get a slide.
    Sounds like the right spot based on the track walk. I just figured EX500's couldn't spin up there regardless. Maybe I was wrong, maybe it was time for a new tire... I dunno. Thanks for the input.

Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Most likely a combination of speed, that spot, and maybe the tire/suspension. I was getting the slide on a nearly new Dunlop soft slick, but I wasn't anywhere near highsiding. I've seen a friend of mine do about the same thing you did on a motard there on a worn tire, though. Another case of "shit, I didn't think that bike could spin up the rear like that." Glad you landed back on the bike.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I've spun up a GS500E up that hill, so... yeah an EX500 can do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Most likely a combination of speed, that spot, and maybe the tire/suspension. I was getting the slide on a nearly new Dunlop soft slick, but I wasn't anywhere near highsiding. I've seen a friend of mine do about the same thing you did on a motard there on a worn tire, though. Another case of "shit, I didn't think that bike could spin up the rear like that." Glad you landed back on the bike.
    Thanks dude. I'm glad too

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've spun up a GS500E up that hill, so... yeah an EX500 can do it too.
    The GS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast