Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV 473 LRRS Round 2 Race Report

NV 473 LRRS Round 2 Race Report

After missing round 1 due to a last minute mechanical problem I was anxious for my first race weekend.

Friday: Basic school went as planned, good information, good track time (hadn't ridden Loudon since last June). The mock start was interesting as I quickly found out I was terrible at starts. Bike felt great, I felt a little stiff as it was my third day on track this year. Finished the class and got sorted out in registration with transponder number ect and made it through tech.

Saturday: Woke up early, could barely get to sleep, may have been it was freezing in my tent or I was super nervous about my first race. First practice went well, I felt much more comfortable seeing I could keep pace with most of the others in my class. Second practice it started to rain but finished practice so I could scrub in the new tire, almost lost the front in 9 and thought that was enough. Felt much more confident going into the rookie race, except for the start.

Rookie Race

Extremely nervous for the first start, didn't help that the track was still wet from the rain earlier and it was in between running DOTs or rains. Grid position was 1C, pulled up to the grid box and started to relax for some reason. Got a terrible start but was essentially just making sure not to 12 o'clock and look stupid. Got into turn 1 in second and stayed there the entire race, was just trying to get the bike around in one piece and not push too hard with the wet track. Extremely uneventful first race but at least it is in the books.

Finished 2nd - Best 1:37.434

Race 6 Novice Formula 1

This was my first real race so I was excited to start pushing a bit harder, the track had dried out by this point and I felt much more confident. I started in the 6th row I believe, once again I got a horrible start and was near the back after turn 1, I started to feel more confident and started to work my way up through the field. Felt more confident making passes throughout the race and think I learned more in these 8 laps on track than all my laps before. Managed to get one or two clean laps in and finished the race feeling much more confident in my riding.

Finished 5th - Best 1:25.963

Race 9 Novice Formula 2

Started 7D in this race and though I was going to have the same problem fighting traffic in turn 1. I got a slightly better start and move along the outside mid pack. Passed a large group going into 1 on the outside and made it through turn 2 in around 10th place. Felt much more in control this race and had a good fight with #622 I believe. Followed him within a bike length for about 2 laps but couldn't pass him in the end.

Finished 5th - Best 1:24.772

Sunday: Practice went smooth, felt much more at home after getting to know all of the people around and the procedures with the races. Felt much less rushed and hectic than Saturday because I somewhat knew where to go and when to do it. I was ready to have a good day, conditions were perfect and bike was running great.

Race 6 Novice Rookie 2

Had a better grid position for this race believe 5D possibly. My start was much better than the previous day after having a bit of practice. I couldn't get around anyone on the outside of 1 and was forced to try and sneak through the pack. Felt generally comfortable trhoughout the race, nothing magnificent just rode smooth. Din't get and clean laps in but to my surprise had a podium finish.

Finished 3rd - Best 1:25.388

Race 8A Novice Starter 2

Felt like I could fight for 1st/2nd in this race for the first time and was very confident going in. My bike proceeds to through the low oil light going into turn 3 of the warm up lap. Didn't want to risk anything so I pulled into the pits and ended up missing the race

DNS

Overall it was an amazing weekend and I learned more than I could have imagined. Can't wait to be back for round three and work towards the yellow plates. I want to thank everyone who made the weekend possible (don't remember everyones' names) but specifically Colin, Pete, and Ryan in my garage for their help with the bike and the pre-race procedures.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #473
    Thanks to my 2017 sponsors: Dunlop, Sidi, Woodcraft, Bell

Re: NV 473 LRRS Round 2 Race Report

From one Doug to another- Great start to your rookie season! I hope to meet you next round, as I come over to visit Colin often and see what might be falling off his bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

Re: NV 473 LRRS Round 2 Race Report

You looked good in race 9 on Saturday. Saw you moving to the outside in 6 while everyone else was parking it and thought "damn, picked the wrong dude to follow into this mess".

Getting out of NV should be no problem for you.

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    ...to visit Colin often and see what might be falling off his bike.
    Wait, whut?!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!