Whoops! Originally posted this in the wrong subforum.

Sun-Friday

This week was crazy. Missy and I drove up to Jonesport, ME on Sunday to pick up an enclosed trailer her father was giving us. We stayed there until Wed morning, making a quick stop in Acadia National Park. That place is awesome.

After returning home it was work and working on outfitting the trailer. On thursday i did a volunteer event for work cleaning up a park. While I enjoyed helping people out, it was a bad idea because it exhausted me quite a bit. After that I went to visit Ian (soofle616) to pick up some TRS pins which unfortunately did not work with my bike. Thanks anyway dude! I appreciate it. On Friday l, I got the TRS and some shelving installed, and Mo kindly donated his TRS pins for the weekend, so we were good to go.

After picking up some suspension goodies from Jonny Rocket to deliver to Jeff (Ductard), we were on our way, arriving about 11PM. We got everything unpacked, said hello to everyone who was still awake and then went to bed.

Saturday 8/15

Got up around 6:30 and got ready to head to tech. Grabbed my free transponder rental. Tech was a breeze.

First practice was good. Shook out some cobwebs and tried to remember that T1 goes left.

Second practice, well, let's just say Crash Bandicoot flies again. Literally. My 3 year crash-free streak has come to an end. After 2 pretty decent laps I was approaching the T3 chicane when the rider in front of me hit his brakes, hard, right before the chicane. Remembering my training, I was not looking at him and easily went around. Unfortunately, I forgot to brake and went into T3 waaaay hotter than I'm used to. I almost made it, but at the last second stupidly target fixated on the end of the tire wall. I drove straight into it, doing a perfect Superman Hawley impression. The bike stopped dead and fell on its right side. I ended up on the left side of the track going up T4. Luckily my fellow novices were good enough to not run me over as I immediately rolled off the track and got behind the tires. Because I was up and moving they only yellow flagged the practice (yay I'm not that guy who red flagged practice!).

Luckily I made it out unscathed and the only thing wrong with the bike was a broken front fender (who needs that?) and my right foot peg. I was freaking out because I'm still using the stock footpegs, so I can't just go buy a Woodcraft or Vortex one. Fortunately for me, Miles at Street and Comp had a foldable peg that fits my bike. Note to self, spend the damn money on some Woodcraft rearsets.

I buttoned the bike back up and was ready to race!

Race 6 - NOV Formula 1

After quite a few delays, the biggest being the Legends cars spilling oil everywhere (big surprise), race 6 was finally here. This weekend Tony picked this race for the Pirelli holeshot award.

I was gridded 4c, and I had a pretty good start, about 4th or 5th into T1, almost. The two riders in front of me immediately collided right before tip in and hit the deck. Now I was playing the bike or body dodge game. I stupidly tried to take NASCAR T1, which is the direction they were sliding in (Go where they were!!! Ugh). I opted to just stand the bike up and get on the brakes. I was able to come to a stop before running the guy in front of me over, just nudging his back side with my front wheel. Unfortunately I misjudged the pitch of the racetrack in NASCAR T1 and promptly dropped my bike. I guess my bike wanted to even itself out on the left side.

I rolled back into hit pit to restart but realized my left rearset was bent inward. I decided to still race even if it was just to put around and finish the race. Luckily for me the storms rolled in and we had about an hour and a half severe weather delay.

I came back into the pits to assess the bike and started to notice a wobble in the front end. My left rearset also wasn't just bent, it had snapped. Thinking the weather delay was only going to be a few minutes I decided to file for a mechanical as I wasn't sure I could fix everything in time. That's when everyone came to my rescue.

Kyle, Mo, and Adam assessed my front end and figured out it was my tweaked bodywork rubbing the front wheel. Tim DiLorenzo also had a spare stock CBR rearset. Mo helped me take everything apart and put it back together. Just in time to put warmers on and get back out there. I can't the thank you guys enough. I really appreciate it.

For the restart, whoever was in the 3 rows in front of me either crashed or didn't show up. I had a clear path in front of me. I had my best start to date. I shot past eveyone, wheel in the air. Only one rider got ahead of me and I couldn't catch him before T2. So no $100 for me, but I was super stoked for the awesome start.

I was much more reserved for the rest of the race. The bike doesn't feel right. I'm pogoing through almost every turn. Which I think is a combo of me being too stiff and the stock suspension having issues. Time for aftermarket parts methinks. A few other riders got by me and I finished 8th. My best finish to date.

11th of 16
Outlap: 1:34.678
Best lap: 1:29.789

Race 10 - NOV Formula 2

Gridded 5B. I got another awesome start, but ended up backing off a bit as I was mid pack going into T1, which scares the crap out of me. Need to work on that. Again, fairly uneventful race, although I did have some fun battles with #399 Dan Treitel. He would catch me between 4 and 5 under power and I would catch him on the brakes in 1.

15th of 21
Outlap: 1:38.007
Best lap: 1:29.444

Afterwards Missy and I grabbed a pizza and settled in at the Butler BBQ which was indoors this time due to rain, but was still fun nonetheless.

Sunday 8/16

Woke up at 7, got coffee and got ready for practice. Practice was okay. My bike still doesn't feel right but I was able to work on some turns and shifting points.

Race 3 - NOV Rookie 2

Gridded 7B, second wave. There were only two rows of riders in front of me and I had another great start, I think I was 4th or 5th into T1. I like when I get somewhat out in front so I don't have to deal with the "meat grinder" that is mid-pack T1. I made it to T3 before getting passed by a few more of the faster guys. I held onto 6th or 7th place for a few laps before being passed by #999 Chris Cleaveland, again going up 4 into 5. I really need to work on my line through 3 so I can get a better drive up 4. Fatigue was again starting to set in so I took it easy, getting passed by a few more riders. #399 Dan Treitel got me on lap 6 on the brakes into T3, he looked like he was having a rough time too, but he was still the faster rider. #616 Kevin Wimble also got me going into 11 with a sweet pass. I clung onto them for another lap when on lap 8, I came into T3 a little faster than I wanted to. I think I missed a downshift. I got on the brakes a little to hard and the front started to wobble, so I opted to take the 3-10 split. The cornerworkers stopped me and had me turn around back into T3, haha. I finished the race with a last lap of 1:55. Yikes! But hey, I wasn't last!

12th of 13
Outlap: 1:32.481
Best lap: 1:29.23

After getting out of my totally sweat-soaked gear (holy crap it was hot out!) we packed up and got ready to watch some racing. Watched a few of the races before lunch, and ASRA Thunderbike after lunch, before hitting the road. ASRA Thunderbike was so fun to watch. I think 2/3rds of the grid were friends. And they were all duking it out.

As we were headed home, I realized I left my rented transponder on my bike. I realized this just after I passed the "Last exit before toll" sign on the highway too. Ugh... You're welcome EZ Pass. Now you get to double dip on me as I turn around. After making it back to the track, removing my transponder from the bike and returning it, an official pulled me aside and told me that next time, if I forget my transponder, I can call the track and mail it in, so I don't get fined. Good to know! We eventually made it home around 6:45.

Despite the issues I had this weekend I still had a great time. My times are becoming more consistent, but I have a lot to work on. Time to fix up my bike, and figure out some personal fitness so I stop getting tired halfway through races. I want to thank Mo, Tim D, Kyle Reese, and Adam Butler for helping me put my bike back together, loaning me parts, and telling me to sack up and get back out there. And Mo again for loaning me the TRS pins at the last minute. You're a lifesaver dude! Mike Randi and Virginia for providing water and company on red flag hot pit. RSP Racing, ECK Racing, BT1R, and you G15 clowns for the awesome hospitality as usual. The cornerworkers and track staff for keeping us safe and all the crazy organization that goes into this. And of course my girlfriend Missy, for helping me out in the pits, and for just being there for me! Oh, and Jamie, our dog, just because she's cute.