Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV #606 Race Report - Rd 3 2016

NV #606 Race Report - Rd 3 2016

tl;dr: Back into the high 20's and having a blast!

I didn't end up writing race reports for rounds 1 and 2 as they were fairly uneventful and my times just sucked. I don't think my head was really in it, but this weekend changed all of that.

Thursday

I took a half day so I could head up early (I really need to do this from now on, it makes things way easier). Got settled in, said hi to some fellow racers, and ate some Brookside before heading to bed fairly early. Friday was going to be busy.

Friday

I had two races today, split by only one race, so it was going to be pretty exhausting. Practice was great. I don't think I've felt that good about practice all year. I was hitting all my brake and turn markers and I think I hit a 1:30 which is as fast as I've gone all year at that point.

Race 6 - NOV Formula 1

Gridded 5A. I dislike the inside, but its not so bad when you get a good start. Went into 1 slightly ahead of my grid position and held on for at least a few laps. Got passed by a few of the faster guys who didn't get as great of a start and settled into 15th for a fairly uneventful race. I did happen to get back into the 20's on the 4th lap, so that was a nice bonus. Haven't done that all year.

15th of 22
    Outlap: 01:33.627
    Best lap: 01:29.248

After coming back in from this race I found out that 7 had so many entries that they split it into 7 and 7A, so we had a bit of a longer break than expected.

Race 8 - NOV Formula 2

Gridded 5A (again). This time I got a killer start, shooting past 3 of the rows in front of me, ending up 5th or 6th into T1. I felt like I was on fire (maybe literally due to the heat, lol!) I hung onto the front runners for ages, only losing a few positions from the faster guys. Apparently it was so hot out that even when setting proper hot pressures the tires would actually get hotter out on the track and go up a psi or two. I found this out on the second to last lap when my rear slid out in the exit of T6. Luckily I rode it out and didn't give the T6 bleachers a show. One of the best parts of the race was the photo finish between #969 and myself. He showed me a wheel coming out of 12 and I could see him in my peripheral all the way to the finish line. I crossed the line 2 100ths of a second faster. Crazy!

Looking at TrackIntel I did two 1:27s, one of which was only 3 10ths off my PB from last year. Half my race was in the high 20s and I got a top 10. By far the best race of my career.

10th of 22
    Outlap: 1:32.191
    Best lap: 1:27.107

Friday Night

Missy arrived with Jamie! I was super happy to see them, and I honestly don't know how I do this racing thing without them. We watched the AMA Supermoto practice, which was absolutely wild. The dirt section was 1000% better this year with way crazier jumps and drops. After that we got some takeout Brookside (again, haha) drank some beverages of the adult variety (Pete did a scotch and whiskey tasting! I need to bring mine next round.) and chatted with friends.

Saturday

Practice was business as usual. Trying some new things in 1 and 3. Things felt pretty good. Earlier this week Christian Smutnick re-posted a photo from a few years ago of his ridiculous pink '92 Fieldsheer suit. I remembered that he and I are basically the same suit size so I asked him to bring it so I could wear it in one of my races. It has absolutely no armor in it so I was able to pull all the armor out of my A*s suit and fit it in. The result was a suit 2 sizes to small for me, but the photos ended up hilarious!

Race 2 - NOV Starter 1

Gridded 15D. This was the first race I've done with the amateurs so I was a bit nervous, but that immediately went away once the lappers started catching up later in the race. Those guys pass quickly and safely. I found out fairly quick that this suit did not fit me well at all and I was barely able to hang off the bike, so as a result I slowed down a bit to avoid putting too much pressure on the bars and/or fatigue myself too much.

For some reason Race Monitor was messed up or something and I thought I did 32s or 33s. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I still managed to drop into the 20s and even got a PB outlap of 1:30. I also got another top 10, but I was only 8 out of 11, but I'll still take it!

8th of 11
    Outlap: 01:30.896
    Best lap: 01:29.854

Saturday Night

There was so much going on this night. The AMA Supermoto races, a concert by a band I had never heard of prior called Jackyl, and RSP Racing's 2nd annual Raffle/BBQ to benefit the Karen Hornbecker fund. I wanted to watch the Supermoto races, but ended up helping out RSP Racing with prep for the BBQ. They needed all the hands they could get and besides, track security was making it a huge pain in the ass to get over to the dirt area to watch so no loss anyway.

The party was a huge success. The food was awesome and apparently they raised a ton of money. I was glad to be able to donate some awesome prizes this year. A pair of two Disney theme park passes and tshirts and free pizza vouchers from my sponsor Moto Pizza. I forget who won the Disney tickets, but Dan Pleatea and Pete Gaboriault won the Moto Pizza shirts/pizza, which is where I got this gem:

We ended the night with some cornhole and 90's tunes on Steve Heider's awesome Bose "sonic penis". That sounds dirty. Seriously though. It's a phallic speaker tower. Hahaha.

Sunday

I didn't sign up for any races Sunday in an effort to save energy (and money, lol). It was nice to relax and enjoy the races. I helped out in the pits, dog sat, and cheered on my fellow novices for the first time in a while. It was pretty cool to see them race from a distance instead of being right up in there, but of course I still wished I was out there.

After the races were done because I was staying for the Tony's Track Day on Monday I got to have my very first Sunday evening Brookside visit (for those counting, this was my 3rd visit this weekend!).

Monday

My first track day this year, and my first since Palmer last July. I was excited to ride Loudon in a more relaxed environment and work on some stuff I wouldn't normally be able to in a quick practice. It was awesome to work with Gino, Woody and Kyle in the blue group. I learned more than I have at any track/race day. I was pushing my brake and turn markers all over the place and learning some new braking and body position techniques. I wasn't timing myself, but I'm 99% positive I was going faster than I ever was. Thanks you guys, you really helped me improve. I can't wait for round 4!

Also, thanks to Jen Reese and Chainwheel Moto for the awesome photos as usual.

Photos from Jen:

Photos from Chainwheel:

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Re: NV #606 Race Report - Rd 3 2016

Remember, it's better to look good than feel good, and you look FABULOUS!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice