Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV #606 Race Report - Rd 6 2016

NV #606 Race Report - Rd 6 2016

tl;dr: Crazy weekend with highs and lows. A new PB, my first holeshot, and my first podium!

Friday

Took a half day and drove up early as usual, this time with Missy and Jamie! It's great to have them back with me at the track. We said our hellos, went through tech, and got our usual Brookside dinner, had some drinks, and good conversation with friends.

Saturday

It was nice to just get up and practice instead of having to replace parts and/or go through tech.

First practice was okay. Just did my usual get out there and put around. Second practice was much more consistent, working on my lines in T1 and T6. I actually pulled a PB in practice (01:26.018) which is a first for me, so things bode well for the day.

After lunch we watched a great rookie race, with some really fast riders. Nice job guys! Unfortunately, in race 5, my garage mate Roy went down in T3, and ended up getting hurt pretty bad. He ended up taking a ride to Concord, but was alive and alert, just really banged up.

Race 6 - NOV Formula 1

Gridded 4B. In all the confusion around Roy's crash I ended up leaving the garage right as they were sending riders out for the warm up lap. Halfway to pre-grid I realized I wasn't wearing my gloves (facepalm). Went back to get them, but by then I had to start from hot pit.

When starting from hot pit, one of the grid marshalls (in this case Jim Rich) starts you by dropping an arm right as the first person goes from the grid, so not too bad. You can go balls out down the hot pit, but unfortunately need to slow down for the pit out lane leading to T2. This effectively puts you at the back of the entire grid. By the end of my first lap I think I had gotten through at least half the grid, ending up somewhere in the top 10. On lap 4, chasing a few people into the bowl someone went down in T3 pretty hard. Red flag went out and the bus rolled. It was going to be a bit so they sent us in to put warmers on, but the second I got my warmers on they announced that we needed to go back out, haha.

This time I remembered everything and got out to grid on time. Got a killer start and slotted into 3rd for almost the rest of the race, but on the second to last lap #923 James Paul snuck by me on the brakes in T3 to put me in 4th for the finish. I found out after coming in that I ended up getting a PB of 1:24.3 trying to catch #923. Talk about smashing the previous time. Over two whole seconds faster than last rounds PB.

Unfortunately, later that day I found out that I accidentally gridded in 4A on the restart, which resulted in a penalty of 1 full lap, putting me in 21st place. Not the end of the world though, Novice points don't matter, and I got a PB, so I'm still happy!

21st of 24
    Outlap: 01:28.070
    Best lap: 01:24.351

Race 10 - NOV Formula 2

Gridded 2B. Got another great start ending up in 3rd place for a few laps until #450 Frank Rounds, who was on a CRF450R blew by me like I was standing still in T3. We battled for a bit for a lap or two. I would get him on the gas, he would get me on the brakes, but then, again, #923 James Paul got me, this time I think on the straight. After that they both got away from me. And I settled in to 5th place for the finish.

I ended up with 4th place, because Frank got some sort of penalty of 1 lap. Probably for a wrong grid position like I had in the previous race. They're really cracking down on that stuff this weekend.

4th of 20
    Outlap: 01:29.424
    Best lap: 01:24.819

The evening was pretty uneventful. Missy and I ran some errands and got Brookside for dinner again. Our dog Jamie was hilariously humped by the Murphy's 15lb Bijon, Guinness (I think he's a Bijon. Don't quote me on that ). We tucked in pretty early.

Sunday

Rain tire dance morning! Luckily for me, I didn't have to switch. Went out for practice and clicked off some 27's and 28's. Not horrible.

The second I came in from practice they closed the track for impending thunderstorm, which was nutso. So much rain and wind, haha. After about an hour of that, they re-opened the track and continued the day. I think the rest of practice was cancelled though. And all morning races were reduced to 6 laps.

Race 8 - NOV Rookie 1

Gridded 2C. Holy hell. Best race ever! I had my best start to date. Got the holeshot and held first place for 6 laps (why couldn't the morning 6 lap races continue! haha). According to Missy for the first 3 laps I was a straightway ahead of the 2nd and 3rd place riders. All throughout lap 5 I could hear someone on my ass. Turns out it was #328 Andrew Spaulding. On lap 6 he got by me in the bowl, but I immediately shut the door on him before 7 and held him off until I blew 12 and he out-drove me on the straight. Because of my work on T1 this weekend I was able to out-brake him, but he cut up the inside of me before the apex and shut the door on me. I was then almost able to out-brake him in T3, but again, he was the better rider. The whole time I could hear someone else behind me. It was #368 Daniel Weems. I don't remember where he got me but it was right around the last lap. I figured I was getting tired and these guys were just catching up. Nope. According to Track Intel I was really consistent in 24's and 25's, just that they sped up and were doing 22's.

I crossed the finish line not too far behind Daniel for 3rd place, and apparently a full 13 seconds ahead of the 4th place rider. Such a fun race. I really enjoyed duking it out with those guys. I'm bummed I didn't get the first place finish, but to lose it due to those guys being faster instead of me being tired is more than okay with me!

3rd of 9
    Outlap: ?? (TrackIntel lost the outlap)
    Best lap: 01:24.394

I had such a great weekend. Some of the best racing I've had my whole career, a new PB, and my first podium. Although it feels a bit bittersweet seeing as there were so many awful things that happened this weekend (a few bad crashes, someone had a heart attack in the parking lot, and Gottier being hit by a car earlier in the week). I hope everyone recovers fully!

Thank you to everyone who supports me, including Moto Pizza, Mad Scientist Moto, MTAG Pirelli, my friends at RSP Racing, ECK, BT1R, the Center 15 guys, and last but not least my fiancee Missy. Thanks for everything!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Re: NV #606 Race Report - Rd 6 2016

Nice job this weekend, based on outlaps I'd say starting from hot pit works for you. Good times hanging with you and Missy in the garage, we must do this again, say at the start of October?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Nice job this weekend, based on outlaps I'd say starting from hot pit works for you. Good times hanging with you and Missy in the garage, we must do this again, say at the start of October?
    Thanks dude! Yeah I hear there's this racing thing going on first weekend of Oct.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

i find riding with conviction i had more focus and more drive to go faster. great job with the

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers