Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

PeaPod #343 LRRS weekend summary 04-2019

PeaPod #343 LRRS weekend summary 04-2019

Short and sweet.

Bumped to expert this year. Rainy, cold, damp, dry weekend. Typical Loudon.

Saturday day Race 2 - GTL - Started in the back, finished in the back.

Saturday Race 7 - Lightweight Grand Prix - Decent start, decent race, stunning finish.

Saturday Race 10 - Ultralight Superbike -
    Started in the back, finished in the back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PeaPod; 04-30-19 at 10:17 PM.

Re: PeaPod #343 LRRS weekend summary 04-2019

Whoa that's right, you're an expert now aren't ya?
    Can't wait to read about the races when you spell em out. Videos?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

Saved for long version

This weekend was my first in the expert class after having a fairly decent year in Amateur last year, and three previous seasons of racing. I'm certainly no natural talent at this sport so this is when time and practice pays off.

It was a typical NE weather with a forecast all the week before of rain, then when early sign up came it changed to sunny, so Sign me Up! Well the next day it all went back to rain for the weekend with a little bit of low 30's to boot, argh. I was going to be content throwing the weekend away with that forecast, so I was in no rush to get to the track, and planned to get out as soon as I could.

Sauntered in about 11:00am on Saturday, skipping both wet practices and with a bike I was not sure had a working clutch in it. The previous Friday I was shaking the bike down at Thompson and apparently had the clutch adjuster too tight. I wound up loosing the clutch midway through that day and did not realize it was the adjuster until after calling the day.

Saturday day Race 2 - GTL -
    So I almost did not make this race. I had to unload, tech, search down and collect my rain tire that had been stored in upstate VT for the winter, and mount tires all before the second race started. I was running behind and in no hurry to get on the track in the conditions that were slowly beginning to change from rain. Figured if I didn't rush, then I wouldn't have to mount rains and go get wet. I know wah wah. hehe

Well, my friends Mirek and Jesse were having none of my wishy-washy BS and attacked the tire change for me as I got suited up. Third call announced just as we all finished up and I rolled onto the grid for my first expert race about as prepared as my bike looked (and I had been working on it for 8 weekends already), lol.

I had a pretty lazy start and slotted into last place I think going into turn 1. Not really concerned as I was using this race as a practice session to get reacquainted with the track and my rain tires had no heat in them. Ran quite a few slow laps the first third of the race and then my visor began to fog up. I never had this problem in the past, so not sure why, but I was having a difficult time seeing. Around lap 11 I binned it in turn 3. Not sure what happened but I realize I was not focusing on my riding, and was only worrying about my vision. I got the bike up with the help of the corner workers and was able to get back in the race. Cracked my visor open and finished the race with a little bit clearer vision. Finished 11th out of 14 starters with the riders behind me either crashed out or pulled off.

Saturday Race 7 - Lightweight Grand Prix -
    So this was an interesting race. Things were drying out after the 4th race and this one was really a tough call, but DOT's or slicks were probably the right choice. Oh well, I had my rains on and again did not want to change tires in the short time I had to make the call. I think I was one of two in the field with rains on. I did not know what to expect, but hoped i was not about to burn up $400 in rain tires.

I started well enough this race, and managed to gain one spot going into turn 1 placing me in fifth. I was able to gain another spot in turn 3 going to the outside of #76. I was now in fourth place and waiting for the attack of the experts behind me on slicks. The track was mainly dry, but still fresh and cold after the rain. I was running hard, but also babying my rear tire on the exits as much as possible. I was surprised, but the flock I was expecting did not come by me. I also was having a good time tailing third place and keeping in close contact. I began to find there were areas where I was faster and started to plot a move. On the fifth lap I made my move coming out of turn three and finished the pass going into the bowl. I couldn't believe I was in podium contention in my first weekend of expert! I kept expecting a retaliation for the spot, but did not see any wheels come up on me. So i put my head down and just ran as hard as I could without looking back.

I went on and made my fastest laps of the race at the end, nearly 2 seconds quicker than I had been going. One thing I found, it is a really interesting feeling going through turn 9 on rain tires in the dry. It felt like I was was running over crumbs or something, and that held me back a bit through there. Anyway, I managed to finish the race in third place with a 7 second lead over fourth. I was dumbfounded and ecstatic all at the same time. Didn't even know what to think as I imagined any chance of a podium for me was gone once I entered the expert ranks. But dammit, I was there for the start, I was there for the finish, and I was the third fastest at the finish that day. Weather and tire choice aside, I guess that is all it takes.

Saturday Race 10 - Ultralight Superbike -
    Again, I gridded up toward the back due to no points in expert class last year. I had a pretty poor launch and then some weird mis-shifting going on so my entry into one was in last place. I got a bit behind, but then started picking back up. On the second or third lap I managed to get Isaac going through turn 11 (thank you for not squeezing me into the curb!!). And then a lap or two later got my rival from last year, Ben, going into turn 3. I latched onto #85 after that and couldn't quite catch up to make a pass, but had a fun time trying. Finished 9th out of 12.

All in all it was a very memorable weekend for my first venture in the deep water. I crashed in my first race, podiumed in my second, and finished about where i expected in my third. The weather played havoc, and I realized you can never know what to expect and how much fun you can have even with such spotty forecasts. Just enjoy the friends and time you are there! I always seem too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PeaPod; 04-30-19 at 10:16 PM.

Congratulations again rob! Cant wait to see what comes of this year for you and a lot of us. Looking forward to seei g everyone in afew weeks and kicking back with some more stories.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

Do you have a pinlock? I swear by them.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Nice. In those transitional races on cold days, rains will almost always allow you to be faster. as everyone else tippy toes around trying to figure out grip, you know you can go pretty quick right from the start. LW bikes won't even shred the tires much due to the temps.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Mgiossi View Post
    Congratulations again rob! Cant wait to see what comes of this year for you and a lot of us. Looking forward to seei g everyone in afew weeks and kicking back with some more stories.
    Here, here!! May weekend is right around the corner! Expect to see you there with the new whip!

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Do you have a pinlock? I swear by them.
    I do, I just never had a problem with fogging up in the rain previously. Although I don't think I ever used this specific helmet in the rain, so that might be it. Maybe it doesn't vent as well as the others I used in the rain.

I also always figured the pinlock would make the lens slightly more distorted if you don't get a good clean seal. Kind of like the bubbly screen protectors you see on people's phones. One reason I don't use screen protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Nice. In those transitional races on cold days, rains will almost always allow you to be faster. as everyone else tippy toes around trying to figure out grip, you know you can go pretty quick right from the start. LW bikes won't even shred the tires much due to the temps.
    Yeah, I think it was partly due to my confidence in the tires. I was surprised how little I actually beat the tires up. They were not too bad considering, and I will still be able to use them. My buddy on his 600 however, those tires shredded in 8 laps, ouch.