Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

PeaPod #343 LRRS weekend summary 07-2019

PeaPod #343 LRRS weekend summary 07-2019

Short and sweet.

Not proud to admit it, but four weekends and four crashes, seems to have become a habit now.

Saturday day Race 2 - GTL - started 9th, finished 14th, had to put 'er down on lap 12.

Saturday Race 7 - Lightweight Grand Prix - brought out the spare bike, started 9th, finished 16th.

Saturday Race 9 - Ultralight Superbike - started 5th, finished 16th.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: PeaPod #343 LRRS weekend summary 07-2019

Saturday day Race 2 - GTL

Gridded up ninth out of 18 with two DNS. Tach was stuck at 5k RPM for some reason this weekend and so couldn't find my normal starting rev point. Decided I would take some friends? advice from the previous weekend about starting lower in the rev range since I had no point of reference. Had a poor start and got railroaded into the first turn.
    With that I was not aggressive in making passes and settled into a nice pace with two others at the back of the pack. Coming out of turn 6 on the first lap, I had a quick little slide getting on the gas, quickly realizing the track was greasy. We diced it up for quite a few laps but I was getting held up, and after not completing a few overtakes I finally had to make one stick. Got it done in turn 9 - 10 and was off, starting to run down my laptimes. Well it was a little slick out there this weekend and I noticed it a few times where my rear was a little loose getting on the gas.
    As I was coming out of turn 1, apparently I had not quite finished the apex and got on the gas a little too hard, sliding the rear out something fierce. The front got in on the action and I was wholesale sliding the bike sideways. I remember asking myself why I wasn't lowsiding though? It was quite an interesting feeling. So then I decided I should start to pick the bike up. When I attempted that, I could feel the grip come on and almost start to pick me up and throw me over, I said f-that and pulled the bike back down. That's when I realized, I was aimed directly at the pit wall and was not going to be braking in time or getting this thing sorted out. I kicked the bike out and away from me so I would hopefully slide to stop sooner than if I were to try and stay with it. It sort of worked as I do believe I lost some speed, but I still ended up slamming into the wall right behind my bike. The bike had hit some air fence bounced up when it hit, landing on top of my legs when it came down. I struggled to get free from under the bike, but could only manage to get one leg out as the bike was getting jammed in the air fence and pit wall when I tried lifting it out of the way. It took a bit for the turn two corner workers to get over to me and help lift the bike up since they had to cross a live track. My left leg was hurting pretty bad, but luckily I was able to put weight on it and it supported me, so not broken which meant I got to do the walk of shame, hauling my busted bike off the track.
    While I wasn't setting any laptime specials in the beginning, once I got free I was starting to bring them down, unfortunately the greasy track and my eagerness got the best of me in this race.

https://youtu.be/93JiKQ_854U

Saturday Race 7 - Lightweight Grand Prix -

So I bent my rear rim to total failure in the previous wreck and some other misc. damage which I did not have the time/want to fix to get out for my final two races. Luckily I had picked up a "cheap" spare bike a year or so ago and finally had a chance to use it. I had maybe fifty laps on it and it was not dialed in at all, super stiff compared to my normal bike. I gridded up after determining my leg was not totally fubar'ed and I could support myself with no issues. I again tried the low rpm start and again had a crappy start, going into turn 1 in last. Since this bike was so stiff, I had a hard time going fast with all the bumps and cracks/crevices Loudon has, just was not comfortable. I didn't really have much of any battles since I was so slow and the race was red flagged after six laps, mercilessly ending this poor race.

Saturday Race 10 - Ultralight Superbike -

Well after riding the b-bike like it was in race 7 I decided I had to adjust something. I don't usually mess around with my suspension too much, but this year have decided I need to be more involved. Pete Kates had put in a new spacer in my forks earlier in the day because my pre-load had been set up in the interim with a too long spacer. I thought reducing pre-load might help, but then decided to check my rebound and compression settings first. When I did that I noticed both had been set at full hard, all the way in. WTF??? I don't know how that happened as I swear I had checked them at the beginning of the year and set them. So I adjusted each a few clicks out and set out to grid.
    I might as well go three for three, so I had a crud start again into the first corner in last... This race was pretty much a repeat of race 7 where I was just not comfortable with the bike yet and could not get going. The adjustments I made to the forks worked wonders and I was certainly more comfortable there, but the rear was a bit stiff and the front still needed some more tweaking. Luckily Tony has some trackdays coming up in August and I will be using those days to work on the setup.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

QUOTE]As I was coming out of turn 1, apparently I had not quite finished the apex and got on the gas a little too hard, sliding the rear out something fierce. The front got in on the action and I was wholesale sliding the bike sideways. I remember asking myself why I wasn't lowsiding though? It was quite an interesting feeling. So then I decided I should start to pick the bike up. When I attempted that, I could feel the grip come on and almost start to pick me up and throw me over, I said f-that and pulled the bike back down. That's when I realized, I was aimed directly at the pit wall and was not going to be braking in time or getting this thing sorted out. I kicked the bike out and away from me so I would hopefully slide to stop sooner than if I were to try and stay with it. It sort of worked as I do believe I lost some speed, but I still ended up slamming into the wall right behind my bike
    [/QUOTE]
    I believe you made the right chose to exit!
    Looking at the video you can see you where still on two wheels pointed at the inside wall!( Nice blackly) Never seen someone crash there like that glad your ok never good when the bike hits you. Nice to have air fence placed there, we are lucky to have a lot of it here.1 Track was slick as it always seems to be after a Nascar weekend. High track temps made Tire chose important also softer compounds where the better chose for the weekend. Better luck to you for the rest of the year.

Last edited by MUZ720; 08-04-19 at 06:22 AM.

My bike will step out there if i'm running a really good pace, but never like that. Good job doing what you could.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube