Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Race report- The Ups and Downs of USCRA #754 (long)

Race report- The Ups and Downs of USCRA #754 (long)

So my first official race report! I have to share because I am sure many of you can relate to my up and down race day.

It was bittersweet as this was my last race day of the year. I am not going to make it to Barber in October so I was both excited and bummed. The day started off chilly, but good. The first practice out felt slow. The track was bumpy although it could be because I ran Mosport 3 weeks earlier. I was running about 3 seconds off my normal lap times so I wasn't as slow as I thought. Then I jumped on a sidecar for practice. I had been the monkey on this rig at Mosport, but not at Loudon which is much more technical. The first lap was a mess. I was not in the right place at the right time. My foot kept getting caught, and I felt like I was working 10 times harder then I should have been. I tried another lap and was still out of sorts so I thought I would give it one more lap. I didn't even technically finish the 2nd lap as I missed the transition in 12, got thrown backwards and quickly realized I was not going to be able to get back up while accelerating. As he started going through the gears, I realized, he is only going to go faster so I let go at probably 40 versus 80. I rolled down the pavement a bit and got off the track. Leathers ripped a bit (new ones were on order already anyway). It was as easy a get off as them come. No helmet damage and I walked away. Too bad my driver did not realize until 1a that I was not on the rig

So after passing off the sidecar gig to someone else, I focused on my CB. The second practice went much better and I was ready for the race. Middleweight Production has a lot of those pesky 2 stroke RDs so I knew I needed to get a good jump. I went into turn 1 third with one RD and Rabbie ahead of me. Rabbie is always ahead as he is super fast. The only time I beat him was 4th of July in the rain and he crashed. One of the RDs that I was dicing with in practice also got ahead of me. I stalked him for about 2 laps and latered him in turn 7. I then apparently pulled away and kept 2nd place. Pretty happy although once you taste victory, there is nothing else really like it. Also I think that means I got second in the championship!

Next up was the Lightweight Supervintage race. This is a very competitive class with the 3 of the top people running engines built by the same guy. Rabbie walked away again, but I got a good start and went into turn 1 third from the second row. Dick was ahead of me. Rabbie, Dick and I all have the same engine builder. Out of all of them, I have the least horsepower (hoping that will change over the Winter), but I do weigh the least so that is my advantage. Dick also had a new set of tires which helped him pull away from me the first 4 lap, but by 5, I could tell he was tired and I was on the move. I caught up to him on the final lap (6) and showed him a wheel in 6, 9, 10 and then finally the entry to 12. He shut the door on me so I was hard on the brakes, but still determined. I came out of 12 knowing I needed the a good drive. I gave it a whole lotta throttle, started to really move and then saw the ground. The rear end came around on me and I was on my ass. Knowing everyone behind me was looking for the checkered, I quickly got out of the way. It happened quickly, but I know exactly what I did wrong. Thank you to a13x and jro for corner working. Alex, I positioned my bike so that the gas would leak down the crevice to make your job easier

So a 2nd place, a personal best, and 2 crashes to end my racing season. I have a swollen, bruised elbow and a few other bruises to show for myself. I am going to try sidecar racing again next year and the solo bike will be good as new or as new as a vintage bike can be by Feb as Roebling and Daytona might be an option in 2010.

Thanks for the support that some of you give our little club. Also I want to thank a certain someone for all his support and for helping me get faster this year! You rock

Until next year....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Re: Race report- The Ups and Downs of USCRA #754 (long)

ACK!! The elbow....:cringe:...hurts.

I have to ask, do you know of a guy named John on a green RD400? I forget his number...387 maybe?

Hey Kerry,

Thank you for your considerate bike dumping skills! Was crazy that I watched that whole thing develop and the next thing you know I'm running out there dodging wacky old geezers and getting that baby of yours outta 12.

You looked good out there thou and hey that's the way it goes sometimes. Look forward to the next race!

Boston --> San Diego

Hey Bergs....the elbow is turning pretty colors now. I am proud of it I am not sure about a John on an RD. I don't know him personally, but if he is up at the track, I am sure I have seen him!

So Alex, could you predict that crash? I felt like it was so textbook, but I don't want to look like one of those racers who you see and want to cover your eyes when they go by for fear of what might happen!

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    So Alex, could you predict that crash?
    I could only predict something 'interesting might happen' due to the attempted pass (stuff) into T12. Anytime someone goes for that move you're most likely going to have something happen to one of the riders (ride thru the grass, contact, crash, etc)

I will say I saw a large number of vintage iron go for that pass, which is a pretty aggressive place to go for one!

(ask me how I know all this.. guilty as charged)

At anyrate you look fine out there. I def didn't cover my eyes when you went past. Some of the other guys thou....

Boston --> San Diego