Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Rookie weekend -NV #629 Round 7

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Rookie weekend -NV #629 Round 7

Now that the butterflies have settled, and I'm home from the track I can say I definitely fell in with the wrong crowd joining NESR last year.
    A year ago I was crusing around on my first bike/dinosaur age Katana in converse sneakers, too scared to take my hands off the bars to wave at other bikes, spewing oil, and having to adjust my idle at every stop light so the damn thing didn't stall. A little over a year later, writing my first race report. Thanks to the NESR crowd, I got geared up properly, and turned 12,000 street miles last season. After finding out about track days, I was hopelessly addicted, and after my first race weekend, addicted even more. All is can say is sheesh, thanks guys... It truly is worse than crack, and my bank account will never be the same...

We got to the track around 7 Friday night and after rattle can-ing the yellow number plates white, got started drilling for safety wire. Thanks a million Eric for the use of your drill press, Chuck for bringing it to the track, and a big giant thank you to Mike/Rambunctious for taking me under his wing this weekend. Getting me a garage space, drilling and safety wiring my entire bike, getting me where I needed to be on time, keeping me calm and focused, giving me countless invaluable pointers, and being my "rock" this weekend. Also, willing me a pair of tire warmers was beyond awesome! Mike, I swear I won't be a pigeon Your Mom's little dog was also really cute.

Thanks Greg for helping me with my stands, warmers, and being the "go to" guy. I know you had a dissapointing first day, but you perservered and were a huge help to me.

I was really nervous my first practice session, but stoked to be back at Loudon to apply some more "flow" after riding Thunderbolt. I just cruised, got warmed up, worked on being smooth and accurate, and came in relaxed. Second practice I bumped up the pace but still rode well within my abilities, didn't feel like was working too hard and was doing comfortable 1:40's. Huh, so this was the first time having any clue as to my average "relaxed pace" track times. Lots of work to do. On a side note, I dragged knee for the very fist time in the bowl during practice. It totally freaked me out, my knee went "bump'bump'bump" and I thought I was crashing, lol. Continued out of the bowl and realized I touched my knee down for the very first time Another nice realization was that the passes felt really comfortable, and were all a million times safer than at track days. I guess the main difference being that the riders at race weekends having the skill to pass, as opposed to most track day riders thinking they have the skill to pass, ripping around you then slamming on the brakes right in front of you into a corner... I didn't feel sketched out once the entire weekend by a pass, or watching a rider on the inside of me in 3 take the corner. Thanks everyone for making good passes
    I knew I didn't have the times to be in the running for any race I entered, but my goal was to get through the weekend, and ride smoothly and predictably, stay relaxed, focus on lines, body position, and flow. I was happy to work on all of the above.

Rookie Race:
    I hadn't had an oppurtunity to practice starts at all so I was a bit nervous for the rookie race. Once figuring out the grid and the process, warm up lap, etc. I was less confused. I was creeping a bit at the start but at least I didn't wheelie. I dropped in behind the riders in HW, and followed them around the track. It felt so slow, and I was frustrated having to brake in the corners so I didn't run into anyone but i had to force myself to chill out, and just finish the race. In the efforts of finishing without pushing myself at all I decided not to pass anyone, and just rode it to finish. Guess it wasn't the best time for any hero antics even though I was chomping at the bit. Once on track, the butterflies were gone, and after figuring out registration, tech, the order of the day it just got easier.

Race #12 HW Superbike, LW Gran Prix
    I decided to avoid the 600 races for Saturday, and figured since I wasn't doing the times anyways I would bump to HW with smaller fields, to get the experience but be a little safer out there. I didn't creep this time, but the start was so-so, and I basically held back so everyone would pass me before T1 I was pushing my pace, and in the bowl my whole rear end started wagging around. That was not a good feeling, and up until this point in time I had 100% confidence in my tires and suspension. Unfortunately, it was this weekend that I realized the limitation of running street/track tires (DCIII's) and stock suspension. That lap I turned my fastest lap time all weekend which was 1:39:6 but after getting sketched out with my rear tire sliding around had a more conservative pace, and just didn't trust the bike as much.

Sunday Practice:
    Practice #1
    After 2 laps the first practice session got red flagged, so I had just enough time on track to screw up T1, and then kick myself until the next practice session.

Practice #2
    I decided I needed to relax, the faster I tried to go the slower I got so I worked on getting my upper body more off the bike, a smooth transition between T9 and 10, and getting up off the seat out of T10. The practice felt awesome, and I finally was able to be aware of the help my outside arm over the tank could provide. ( I had just finally gotten my outside knee locked in to tha tank after riding thunderbolt.) So with this extra help, I felt really stable and smooth in the corners. Riding is funny, I feel like you start out like being paralyzed after a stroke. You are nervous, and you brain is way too focused on riding, and everything else swirling around that you lose all awareness of what your body is doing. After a time, you start relaxing, and have enough mental capacity left over to gradually start being aware of what each body part is doing. Slowy but surely, feeling returns to one part, then the next. Now I have an outside knee, and my outside arm on the tank. It feeles so much better. I was somewhat dissapointed with my times because the session felt so good, I was still running 1:41's. At least I was able to add another building block to my riding foundation, which will hopefully let me get faster in the future.

Race #1 Ms. Match

Sadly, there were only 4 of us, I knew going into it that everyone else was a hell of a lot faster. I got a good launch and was pulling away from Kerry when I missed a shift and dropped back. I tagged along behind her for the first lap and half when I had the biggest "oh shit" moment of the weekend. Driving out of T 10 I spun up my rear wheel and the whole bike started sliding from side to side. Life flashed before my eyes, and I 110% thought I was going down. I don't know how the hell I saved it, but it scaredthe bejeezus out of me, and my times suffered for the entire rest of the race. The minute I was off track, several people came up to me including Mike who was right behind me when it happend, and said "holy shit, nice save." I guess even the ambulance radio'ed in that I almost ate it. What sucks, is that now I am at that point where I am running into tire and suspension problems, which is right about where things get expensive. I am hoping to get a built track bike over the winter with suspension already on it, but will definitely be getting some better tires for the next race weekend. I am definitely no meat fist with the throttle, but my drive out of corners had my rear tire spinning all weekend, especially T3, now T10, and T12... I almost think I need to take them in a gear higher so I'm in the less meaty RPM range where it won't have the torque to spin the rear wheel...

Race #8 HW Supersport
    I was a bit bummed I hadn't entered Race #3, thinking I wanted to stay out of "the meat grinder" after seeing the small field. I was running this race with a guy I had done my Rookie Race with, and after keeping an eye on his times knew I was faster in the corners so at least I would have someone to race against. He was gridded to my inside, and my plan was to take him in the launch because I knew he wouldn't be able to pass me. I had a wicked strong launch and had him, when the bike directly in front of me stalled dead. I had to grab brake and veer so as not to take him out but unfortunatley gave him a heavy knee smack as I got by by the skin of my teeth. The guy I wanted to pass had the lead, and I spent the next 2 laps braking behing him in the corners looking for a way to pass. His line was all over the place, which made me too scared to pass him. I missed a shift out of T 12, so he pulled away on the straight, and then I was too far behind him to take advantage of him landing on the beach in T3. I wish i'd been there to take the pass, but oh well. The rest of the race i just relaxed, worked on my corners, and got through it a bit frustrated.

Conclusion:
    Overall, I had a blast this weekend. I learned the ropes, didn't crash, avoided some really hairy situations, and came out unscathed. I was happy with some things, others needing miles of improvements. But, I am hopelessly addicted, and will be there for October

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Femmekat; 09-06-10 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Re: Rookie weekend -NV #629 Round 7

Congrats on your first weekend! It was good talking to you Sunday morning, seemed like you were pretty excited after your first day.

Definitely let me know a little in advance if you're gonna need those Dragons for the October weekend and I'll make sure to have them for you.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

It was great to see you out there. Glad you had fun. That's what it's all about. Just keep up the track time and the speed will come.

You've come a LONG way in a short time!

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm no expert edited as such.

Last edited by Manny; 09-06-10 at 11:03 AM.
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Way to go! It was nice seeing you out there!

As for your suspension, If you haven't set your sag you could start there and play with the stock suspension a little (if it is adjustable)

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Congrats on a good weekend. Those little mishaps are learning experiences whether you know what you did or not or how you saved them. Once you feel funny stuff happen its not so much of a surprise next time. I've had near high sides, tanks slappers, front and rear slides, after all of them I just get to the next corner or 2 and make sure things are good (check brakes after a tank slapper before you actually need them) and then forget about it, put my head down and keep going.

I think if the tires are a part of the problem it could be mileage more so than needing "better" tires. not sure how much you've ridden on that set and how much has been on track but a new set of Rosso Corsas (DCIII replacements) could be fine. but also for the price of the Dragons its almost a no brainer to go with them. you just have to monitor your hot pressures quite a bit more than you would with street tires.

also you could be spinning the rear entirely because of the suspension. I know at the beginning of the year some of the BoMo guys had made some changes for you because you were spinning it. Could be just a set up issue rather than tire. When you go in October find Peter Kates and have him take a look at it. 5-10 minutes and he'll have a few knobs turned and things will be better.

Hey Lauren congrats!! I might try and do the October RR not sure yet. I'm also at the point where my rearshock is holding me back a lot . . . hence why i high sided in T12 a few track days back. I just have the feeling id try and keep up with someone i shouldn't and end up ejecting myself again lol

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Yeah, I was having some problems at Thunderbolt with the rear as well, ended up shifting up to a higher gear and at lower RPM's I stopped spinning it so badly. It doesn't really seem like that is an option so much at Loudon, I think if I tried to stay in 3rd gear in T3 and T11-12 I would end up lugging the engine and lose stability in the corner to avoid the wheel spin driving out of the corners....

I am cracking open my owners manual right now to see what options I have with my stock suspension... Kates set the front when I bought the bike, but I havn't messed with the rear much at all. The wear I was having at the Bomo day a while back was more due to improper chain tension (too tight) than the suspension it seemed...

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

ya you should def be in second gear entering 11 till the exit of 12 . . just be very smooth on the throttle

edit through t 3 and 4 def 2nd gear too

www.bostonmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    I'm also at the point where my rearshock is holding me back a lot
    Youre not.

And Lauren, I bet you just need the suspension set up, and unless the tire is super shagged, I'm sure its good enough. It was probably a combination of suspension, tire (maybe) and getting a little too excited and hamfisting it.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

After speaking with Q, he said 1:39's were definitely pushing the DCIII's a bit.... maybe that they were good into the mid 30's but past that definitely lacking.... They do still have some life left, BUT I bought them last November, and they have over 4,000 street miles, 9 track days, and one race weekend which is pretty incredible for a street/track tire. I am also OCD about checking my hot pressures... after every session on track I check and adjust as needed throughout the day.

A guy from WERA that sold me some parts a couple weeks ago knows quite a bit about tweaking the stock suspension on the first gen R6's so we will be having a powwow this afternoon to see what I can do...then I will definitley have it checked out by Kates.

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Youre not.

And Lauren, I bet you just need the suspension set up, and unless the tire is super shagged, I'm sure its good enough. It was probably a combination of suspension, tire (maybe) and getting a little too excited and hamfisting it.
    come on man its my current excuse why i'm not faster . . . . dont ruin it

www.bostonmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    come on man its my current excuse why i'm not faster . . . . dont ruin it
    Excuses are SOOOOOO 2009. Im slow as shit because Im a big pussy.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post
    After speaking with Q, he said 1:39's were definitely pushing the DCIII's a bit.... maybe that they were good into the mid 30's but past that definitely lacking.... They do still have some life left, BUT I bought them last November, and they have over 4,000 street miles, 9 track days, and one race weekend which is pretty incredible for a street/track tire. I am also OCD about checking my hot pressures... after every session on track I check and adjust as needed throughout the day.

A guy from WERA that sold me some parts a couple weeks ago knows quite a bit about tweaking the stock suspension on the first gen R6's so we will be having a powwow this afternoon to see what I can do...then I will definitley have it checked out by Kates.
    don't listen to the cheese eater ( Q). That's Freddy on the Repsol behind me at a BoMo day last Sept. Check out what tires are on there. He was smoking me like always and I was doing 1:28s at the time. but yeah that much mileage and that many track days I'd swap them for sure.

and Dan. Rule #72: No excuses, play like a champion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rookie weekend -NV #629 Round 7-dsc_4561-jpg  

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.734 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm sure Q was talking about the condition of them also. DCIIIs are good into the low 20s at least.

They have been great tires....and holy crap have I gotten a lot of use out of them.... I'm sure for street they are good for a couple more thousand miles

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

They have been great tires....and holy crap have I gotten a lot of use out of them.... I'm sure for street they are good for a couple more thousand miles
    Time for a second set of wheels! Corsa IIIs on one set for street use, and Dragons on the other for race use. Then, if you decide to stop riding the R6 on the street and just race it, you'll already have those wheels for rain tires.

she has 2 sets of wheels if i remember correctly??

www.bostonmoto.com

I actually do have a spare set of wheels...just need to clean up the rotors a bit

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Congrats on a good rookie weekend. I remember passing you in LWGP and you were predictable and on the line, so it's no surprise that faster riders were able to pass you cleanly. Keep up the good work and in a few race weekends, you will have built up enough speed that I won't be able to catch you in LWGP!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

I actually do have a spare set of wheels...just need to clean up the rotors a bit
    Then you've got the perfect setup! Get those rotors cleaned up and you're good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Congrats on a good rookie weekend. I remember passing you in LWGP and you were predictable and on the line, so it's no surprise that faster riders were able to pass you cleanly. Keep up the good work and in a few race weekends, you will have built up enough speed that I won't be able to catch you in LWGP!
    Yay! Thank you! It means a lot to me I didn't want to be a pain in the butt to pass, lol.

And regarding suspension, apparently my bike has adjustable spring preload, rebound, and compression damping so definitely room to tweak it before going aftermarket...

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Rookie race finishes:

Lauren:

Greg:

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Awwwww thanks Chuck! That will get sent to Mom and Dad (whom are in denial that I have a bike )

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Great job Lauren! It's been fun with you and Greg at TDs now I'm going to have follow you into the racing.

Last edited by FirstDuc-1098; 09-06-10 at 04:25 PM.
    Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast