Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Round 1 NOV#613 report- I love you all, and ouch.

Re: Round 1 NOV#613 report- I love you all, and ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    there is no TD requirement. but ive yet to see someone whos never done TDs buy a bike and say.."im gonna go racing"
    Meh...that's what I did. My first time on any sort of track was for Penguin shortly followed by my first race the next day.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Meh...that's what I did. My first time on any sort of track was for Penguin shortly followed by my first race the next day.
    How'd it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    How'd it go?
    He was killed in the rookie race because he failed to safety wire his gas cap in compliance with Section 19.6 of the rule book. Damn Rookies.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

RIP Smutty

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    He was killed in the rookie race because he failed to safety wire his gas cap in compliance with Section 19.6 of the rule book. Damn Rookies.
    How does one safety wire boxers stuffed into the fill hole with duct tape over them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    How does one safety wire boxers stuffed into the fill hole with duct tape over them?
    I'll take a pic when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    How'd it go?
    I made expert the first weekend and podiumed in the dash on an ex500.

No it went normal. I had no idea what I needed in order to race though and was unprepared in terms of proper tires, warmers, etc. Finished my rookie race and got my license and started racing. I had raced dirt for a few years so I just came in with the mentality that this shit was easy because there wasn't any bumps. Lets race! Booyah!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

im no expert.
    I don't know you, haven't seen you ride, so I can't comment on that.
    ive yet to see someone whos never done TDs buy a bike and say.."im gonna go racing"
    In my Friday Penguin Basic license course, there were hands raised at the question " Who's never ridden on the track before?" It gave me pause, and you already know how dangerous I am.
    the pits is where the fun is. It's all business on the track
    Agreed, even though it's fun to be on the track right up until the game over part.
    especially if you pre-reg
    Trying to. Maybe you could help me out? I think I've registered for EX HW #1 MotoGP. Which practice is that?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

If nothing else you got an epic avatar out of it!

Paul_E_D

If I show up ...... . No one checked my tire pressure. No one told me I should.
    If you don't know that you should check your tire pressures before riding a motorcycle, then I'm very sorry you're riding a motorcycle. Ignorance of that as a new rider? Absolutely. Once you learn a thing or two about bikes (one of those things being, "the two tiny little rubber patches are all that's keeping my hairy ass off the pavement"), if you still don't check your pressures ever, my condolences to your loved ones.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting Doug is so ignorant of the operation of a motorcycle as to never have checked his pressures before - I know in fact he has, and simply forgot this time - but I'm responding to the ridiculousness of your hypothetical situation.

Similar to above, I'm still reasonably ignorant of what is required to pass race tech. If I show up with a bike that has previously passed, I can understand how this would be considered a minimal effort in principle. If I show up with a bike that has never been through tech I have no idea what to expect.
    But if you were going to do something for the first time, one would think you might inquire as to what the rules, requirements, general principals, and "nice to know's" are. I know I'm reasonably ignorant of what is required to fly a helicopter despite working for a company that manufactures them; but if I were about to go buy a shiny new bird and try flying it with my buddies, I'm fairly certain I'd ask around to see what I should be aware of first before turning the key; and certainly if I were about to enter a helicopter race or field of combat, I'd like to read the manual first. Point being, there is a rulebook published every year which outlines the tech requirements in great detail.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

In all sincerity, I'm at least glad I could serve as an example so we all could learn something.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    If you don't know that you should check your tire pressures before riding a motorcycle, then I'm very sorry you're riding a motorcycle. Ignorance of that as a new rider? Absolutely. Once you learn a thing or two about bikes (one of those things being, "the two tiny little rubber patches are all that's keeping my hairy ass off the pavement"), if you still don't check your pressures ever, my condolences to your loved ones.
    I never said I didn't know what my tire pressures were. That's something completely different. I was 41 front 42 rear. Same as I run for the street. I had heard about how riding on the track was just like riding on the street, only safer. I was ignorant. I was absolutely ignorant of the fact that my pressures should be adjusted for the track (yes, Doug's mistake was a bit different, but I expect quite a bit of other things were going on at this particular time). While there may not have been as much going on for me on my first track day as there is for anyone on a rookie race day, it's a mistake I easily could have made as well.

I actually did have something of a checklist to use... This check list said specifically about tires:

TIRES:
    Tires must be in EXCELLENT condition with plenty of tread remaining. If you are at or below the "wear indicators", please change them BEFORE track day. We offer complete PIRELLI tire service at all events and can put on new tires the evening before your trackday. Please PRE ORDER to ensure the tires are waiting for you.

I now know that even on my specifically non-track appropriate bike I should be lowering my pressures. I also know now that there are quite a few people who don't approve of my non-track appropriate bike. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    But if you were going to do something for the first time, one would think you might inquire as to what the rules, requirements, general principals, and "nice to know's" are. I know I'm reasonably ignorant of what is required to fly a helicopter despite working for a company that manufactures them; but if I were about to go buy a shiny new bird and try flying it with my buddies, I'm fairly certain I'd ask around to see what I should be aware of first before turning the key; and certainly if I were about to enter a helicopter race or field of combat, I'd like to read the manual first. Point being, there is a rulebook published every year which outlines the tech requirements in great detail.
    As I've said, I've tried to read the rulebook, multiple times. Again, I'm too ignorant to ask reasonable questions about many of the technical aspects. I'm also too dumb to figure out the class structures and why some are defined (production) in chapter 19, and others in 20, and what the hell the difference in a superbike and supersport are, but now I'm getting off topic. I'm not mechanically ignorant. I have, in my life, disassembled a 73 Kenworth down to frame rails and put it back together.

As to the flying a helicopter scenario, yes, if I were to go buy a helicopter, having not received any training I'm fairly certain that trouble would ensue if I made any attempt to fly it. I would expect, however, if I had just finished helicopter pilots school, and been given a shiny new basic helicopter pilot license that the school had covered enough basics to complete a very basic flight under good conditions. If, my license said race helicopter pilot, I would expect that I now have the basic knowledge to compete in a helicopter race.

I would also assume that if I made mistakes during that flight, and I knew about the mistakes and decided to post my mistakes, possibly to help others not make them in the future, that I wouldn't get admonished for doing so. I would also not expect to get admonished as a rookie for making rookie mistakes. They are called rookie mistakes for a reason. If I just got my shiny new helicopter license and you expect me to behave as if I've been making rescues in the Bearing Sea for the past 20 years, there's going to be a disconnect.

If "we" believe there is a gap between what's being covered in the basic license course and what's needed to be safe on the track, what are "we" doing about it?

Honestly I think Oxx and I got crossed up here because Oxx believed that Doug was making light of the mistakes he had made. I don't think that was the case at all.

Last edited by jasnmar; 05-10-13 at 03:23 PM.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

I would pay serious amounts of money to see the rookie helicopter race. Survivors advance to junior. Lol.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Actually I'm seeing some really good/valid arguements here. While text can never really convey the intent behind it, it does sort of boil the topic right down to its basic core. The problems arise when emotion is injected into the thread because the intent isn't obvious.
    I'm reading that a few mistakes were made along the way, the rookie seems to admit them and also to have learned from them. And is trying to do it publicly in order to show the more experienced riders that he has learned. This is where text can be tricky. His text could be perceived as taking it too lightly, but its text, you can't know that.
    I'm also reading that common sense should be a factor, and it definitely should. If we all only proceeded to race while strictly adhering to only what was said in the class, we could get into trouble sometimes. The instructors can only take you so far. In the case of not knowing pressures, if they didn't cover pressures then how would someone know to even check them at all? A possible gap in the classroom discussion, maybe it was covered and the rookie missed it. Either way the class is just a baseline. The rest is on the rookie to ask questions, observe, learn more, apply.
    I see good points all around, but text can be tricky.

Last edited by Slowpoke387; 05-11-13 at 09:59 PM.
    LRRS #387

The first rookie race weekend is a $(@& show, for anyone that has forgotten. The whole thing could really benefit from a mentor program, but that's what garage 18 is supposed to be. I was lucky last year, I was pitting next to Scott Greenwood and he was gracious enough to answer my stupid questions, not let me grid 10 minutes early and go out with cold tires, and help with everything else. Without Scott, I probably would have made a series of errors, and been rattled enough that I would have ridden terribly.
    Instead of holding Doug responsible for everything that went on, take some personal responsibility and help him or any other rookie, so the track is safer for everyone, and encourage the sport to grow. We all know who is racing the rookie race, grab one rider and guide them through the process.
    Anyone who needs a hand, I'm in center garage bay 2, number 413.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Someone just reminded me of this thread, so I came back and read it all. I am very glad I wrote it all down, even the fibs. Who would have guessed the crashes would get fewer and farther between? That I would bump after round two, drop time every weekend, pass some experts, have more points than anybody who started with me as a rookie, be 10th overall Amateur, and get 3rd overall in AM Thunderbike and Super Twins? I did seven races each round as an AM with no crashes and no mechanical failures. I eventually figured out that everybody had gone to the BBQ Saturday night after a few rounds.
    I sure miss all you folks.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

I would pay serious amounts of money to see the rookie helicopter race. Survivors advance to junior. Lol.
    I just laughed so hard I couldn't breath!! Just reading about a helicopter race and thinking wtf!?!?!?!? LOL

Thanks for reviving this old thread Doug I enjoyed reading it. Although I haven't met you I did manage to pick up your tone when I was reading the report and was confused for quite sometime what everyone was making a deal about.. but then again I'm a rookie too.. so I don't know any better heheh

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Doug needs to find his way back to the track :-(

Turn that frown upside down speedy, the old truck knows it's way there.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Thanks on whooping my ass in all the races we were together.
    I look forward to trying again Sav!

Coming back to this thread after a couple more years. Raced my rookie season in 2013, took '14 off, fell off the wagon for 2015. A much better record for my second year.
    -Dropped two seconds during the season.
    -Six races each round, plus I threw in the Dash and my own endurance race team for a total of eight races on the Classic weekend. 44 races, one DNF for a crash in T10 during RD1 on my last race of the weekend (while leading!).
    -No mechanical failures, no contact with any other bikes, no going off course.
    -Won the Amateur championship titles in Thunderbike and F40 lights, missed the LWGP title by 4 points, 2nd in GTL, 2nd in LWSB, 3rd in LWSS. 2nd overall in AM points.

A year to think about what worked and didn't, a great garage in Center 15, competitors willing to share what they knew to make the sport better for all, and the support of my family were entirely responsible for the gains I made.

And yeah, I checked my tire pressures.
    [IMG][/IMG]

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by carsick; 08-01-16 at 12:10 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123