Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Round 2: EX978 Race report

Round 2: EX978 Race report

This isn't much of a race report.

Went into this weekend estatic. Thought I had my motor sorted. Brand new set of rubber (sorry Tony). I also have been worked like a dog lately during our "slow" season so I took a mental day on Friday, got in 40 or so miles on the bicycle in the AM, then took my time getting up to the track Friday night.

First practice, bike will not hold a damn idle...causing me to turn my idle up causing the motard to run extremely hot. Also, James came by and said I was pissing out fluid. Add to that, my brand new motor was losing all power as the practice went on. I was dangerously slow out as my rear was going everywhere which was either due to new tires with incorrect cold pressures or whatever fluids I was dripping getting on my rear tire. Not sure which, but I pulled in. After inspection, my left side case cover is leaking fluid. I goop it up and go out for second practice with no leaks but my bike still will not hold an idle. About 5-6 laps in my bike is all of a sudden bogging out. I look down and its pissing oil out of the left cover again. I get off line and pit in. My gooping did not hold and the loss of the gasket was killing all oil pressure. At this point I am highly considering just calling it quits for the weekend

I run over the the motard section of the center garages and score a spare gasket from Dave and Trevor Arvidson (these guys rock) and I am yet again pulling my motor apart. I am extremely sick of this, but hey, I should have known that when I signed up with a motard. Get it back together, no more leaks, but still no god damn idle.

I crank up the idle and head out for my one and only race for Saturday. The bike is just sitting here revving, running super hot and of course it dies as soon as they let us onto the track from pre-grid. I kick forever, scott greenwood kicks forever, I think bill cool kicks forever, and just as I'm about it give up it fires up. I start the race after the third wave from pit lane. Race is red flagged after 4 or so and back to pre-grid I go. My bike is on absolute fire, most likely overheating at this point, so I am FORCED to shut her down knowing good and well she may not start. After awhile she did and I make it to through warm-up and onto the grids in dead last. I start in dead last, and finish in dead last. My goal here was to make a finish as I crashed out of my prior two races the weekend before and was yet to finish a race for the season. Top it off my bike had no balls from being way to hot and I had practically no laps under my belt for the season. I turned a few 22s not really trying to hard, which is nice as my pb is 21.3, so I think if I ever get this sorted I will be able to get my times back.

After races I NEED to fix my idle problem. I pull the bike apart yet again, and get the carb off. I have to leave for a grad party, but I get back up to the track at midnight and fully disassemble, clean, and check specs on my carb. I put it back on and get to bed around 3am. Everything was clean, as I expected as I JUST did this over the winter, but I need this fixed.

Next morning, start it up, still no idle. I turn a few laps in first practice then head in. Dave comes by and helps me try to diagnose my problem. We check my valves, again I knew these were fine as I just did them Friday, and they are in spec. Dave spits a ridiculous amount of knowledge at me and we pretty much decide it is my intake valves as we have ruled out almost everything. That's my weekend. I didn't do my remaining two races as I wasn't going to get frustrated. I helped my friends in the pits, had a good time watching, and headed home. When I got home I pulled the head off dropped it off with my local shop. They're ordering me up new OEM valves, keepers, and springs all around and shipping it out to Millenium Technologies to get the seats cleaned up. North Reading Motorsports is really my one and only sponsor. They have always been excellent to me, they give me a great deal on parts and knowledge, and have always helped me out so I am letting them send the work where they believe is best. I have full confidence it will come back perfect.

I am sad to say I may not make the classic. I will be there to watch regardless, but I may not be racing. Some serious money is going into my bike over this break, and if it doesn't fix it I am not willing to make the trip up there and not be able to race. If everything is in working order and in time, you may see me sign up solely for the supermoto race. If everything is not in working order you may see me sign up soley for the supermoto race but on a yz250 somehow fitted with my current road racing wheels.

One of the bigger things leading to my decision about the classic is that my landlord, after 2.5 years of no problems, has ended my tenancy at will so I need to find a new apartment, maybe new roommates, and move sometime in the near future. I may be out at the end of this month and moving home with my dad until I get it sorted, or I may have a bit more time at a significantly increased rent to stay here and find a place to move to. It is a very confusing process and I'm not thrilled about it as I absolutely love my apartment. This will not be a cheap/slow process and it is priority over continuing a shitty racing season. We'll see how it plays out. Always a chance the boy in me will pull the late nights and get myself to the track, but the emerging adult is really fighting that.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-22-13 at 11:54 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Round 2: EX978 Race report

Was sorry to se the issues you were having. I stood by and felt helpless as you kicked it and kicked it. Pretty much like Smutty did in most of 2011.

Hopefully, you'll get it sorted out and get it done by the classic. G2 needs you there.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I know your frustration dude. Been there. Hope you can get it sorted. Will miss seeing you rip at the classic for sure. But not worth it to waste money on races if the bike isn't going to start.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

damn this sucks all around. get a non-motard and ride more wrench less

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    damn this sucks all around. get a non-motard and ride more wrench less
    Its a catch 22...

I can't sell the motard unless its working...if it's working I won't want to sell it.

This thing is an absolute blast to ride and once I get it in working order I'm thinking my lap times are going to drop pretty quickly. I have a lot of room to improve on this and want to see what I can do.

You'll get it there. This just happens to be one of the lows of racing and you're stuck in a shitty mechanical rut. Hopefully you keep up your good attitude and manage to bounce out of it. I'm looking forward to racing with you out there again!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    You'll get it there. This just happens to be one of the lows of racing and you're stuck in a shitty mechanical rut. Hopefully you keep up your good attitude and manage to bounce out of it. I'm looking forward to racing with you out there again!

Big fish small pond...I plan to make up for all the fun I haven't been having this year.

Sux jay. That's part of the fun when racing a dirtbike for sure.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Its a catch 22...

I can't sell the motard unless its working...if it's working I won't want to sell it.

This thing is an absolute blast to ride and once I get it in working order I'm thinking my lap times are going to drop pretty quickly. I have a lot of room to improve on this and want to see what I can do.

you and those 2 stroke guys have more than a few screws loose.

you need to get that thing fixed for the special motard race if they do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    One of the bigger things leading to my decision about the classic is that my landlord, after 2.5 years of no problems, has ended my tenancy at will so I need to find a new apartment, maybe new roommates, and move sometime in the near future. I may be out at the end of this month and moving home with my dad until I get it sorted, or I may have a bit more time at a significantly increased rent to stay here and find a place to move to. It is a very confusing process and I'm not thrilled about it as I absolutely love my apartment. This will not be a cheap/slow process and it is priority over continuing a shitty racing season. We'll see how it plays out. Always a chance the boy in me will pull the late nights and get myself to the track, but the emerging adult is really fighting that.
    i hate the adult in me as well. LOL
    if theres anything I can do to help let me know. I got two extra rooms in the house lol.
    I hope it all works out man. shit like that happens. it was this kind of BS that forced me to buy the house.
    I will see you at the classic racing or not
    you are a super positive and passionate person keep it like that man. stay strong.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Best of luck there Jay. I understand the frustration of mechanical issues and I hope you get them sorted for rd3

Jay: buy a Honda. A real Honda, like a 600RR or some shit, they run forever.

Hope you get this stuff squared away, and we see you at the Classic...even if you jumped ship on me.

Shit, Marco got some sick pics summing up my weekend. I'm pumped how these came out, despite none of them are of me actually racing. Second pic I post here is probably my favorite compared to any racing shot all last season. Check out all his pics here: http://marco-delguidice.squarespace....s-round-2-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Jay: buy a Honda. A real Honda, like a 600RR or some shit, they run forever.

Hope you get this stuff squared away, and we see you at the Classic...even if you jumped ship on me.
    My first bike was an 87 f1 hurricane...second bike was an 03 RR. I have always liked my Hondas.

Jay. It is always a pleasure to share a garage with you. You are the most laid back guy out there. I think I would have been throwing shit if that had been my bike. But you just kept at it. I hope things work out so you can at least run the tard race at the Classic. We look forward to seeing you and Carla next round.

And Marco did catch the moment perfect.