Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

round 3 race report AM #122 brady

round 3 race report AM #122 brady

good Friday, sucky Saturday, Happy Fathers Day

I was really psyched to be racing this weekend, and my three preferred races were one-a-day and early in the schedule. I also had clip-ons for the first time and loved the feel of them in practice.

good Friday: AM GTL

A final check of tire pressures before taking off the warmers revealed the rear was almost 2 psi lower than expected. I should have added a bit but said screw it and went to pre-grid.

I got a mediocre start, ended up mid-pack into T1, and was 7th at the end of lap one. But the tires felt great, I was hungry for action, and I got some. I passed an out of region racer and tailed new friendly nemesis #276 Shane Lewis for a few laps as he tailed RSP #769 Keith Draghi. I got by Shane (don't remember where) and was then right on Keith's rear tire for a lap, losing him on corner exits but up his tailpipe in every braking zone. I think I got beside him in T1, T3 and T6 but couldn't make it stick. I may have even passed him inside T6 just to have him cut back inside at T7. This was the best dice I've ever had, serious fun, but I still wanted to get past and be done with it.

The next lap I decided to take him in T3 with an over/under pass. He was taking the defensive inside line under braking so I pulled even outside and then cut underneath up the hill, at which point I had a long rear tire slide right beside him. I backed off slightly to regain my composure and thought about the few missing rear psi. I knew Shane was still close by and tried my best to stay on pace. The next lap exiting T2 I had an even bigger slide that almost popped me out of the seat and Shane shot by. I was second guessing every exit drive now but managed to keep Keith and Shane in sight, helped by a lot of lapped traffic, several crashes and the accompanying yellow flags. Shane eventually got past Keith, who started coming back to me towards the end but I had given up on getting by.

I'm glad I stayed close and focused. On the last lap Keith got pushed wide by an expert in T11 and I was amazed to sneak by and get the extra place for what I thought was 5th. Turns out the leader had retired a few laps from the end and I stole a 4th out of 19. My best lap of 1:23.86 was a second off my PB, but not bad considering all the dicing and traffic.

sucky Saturday: AM LWSS

I rode both full practices which is unusual for me, felt good enough but was several seconds off race pace as usual. My goals for the race were a better start than Friday and to be extra relaxed and smooth, because that would make me fast. I drank a lot of water, ate extra vegetables, chilled in the shade, sang soothing songs to myself and felt at peace with the track.

I did get a good start from 1B and slotted into T1 right behind #769, but got passed by 2 more before T3 and spent the rest of the race feeling relaxed, smooth and watching everyone fly by me. It was like I forgot it was an actual race and was enjoying the beautiful day instead. I was also still uneasy from all the rear tire slides on Friday and ended up not even pushing hard enough to feel what was going on with them. When new AM #212 Lou Peck flew by me I tried to get pissed and came back alongside him into T1, promptly hit a false neutral and watched him ride away. Looking at the times later he was kicking my butt anyway and it was a lost cause. I was turning consistent 1:25's when I know I can run at least 2 seconds faster. 9th out of 14.

About the only positive from this race was a ton of practice passing Novices in new places including T8, which would pay off on Sunday.

Happy Fathers Day Sunday: AM F50 Lights

I blew off the first practice for some extra time with the kids in the morning (wouldn't have been there in time anyway), rode the second practice and felt smooth, slow, whatever. I wrote a list of improvements to make in every turn, vowed to get more amped up, brake later and twist the freakin' right grip like I knew I could.
    I had called my Dad Saturday night and tried to convince him to come watch for the first time, didn't think he'd show but he called before the riders meeting and said he was on his way, cool!

AM F50 Lights starts at the back of the AM HWSS field but in the same wave. The only other time I ran it last year I didn't pick up any spots on the start and got stuck all race in a conga line of early brakers, so I was determined to get by them instead.
    Four entries (one a DNS) were a lot for this race, including my old Novice dicing partner Mike #938 on pole.

At the start I trailed #938, but we both got by a HW bike or two into T1. A big thanks to RSP #559 who bogged at the start, pulled close alongside by the pre-turn, but didn't pinch me out at the pit wall or the apex. Close, fast and safe, those runs into T1 were a blast .
    The conga line formed again through T2, but checked up way harder than I expected into T3 and Mike was stuck at the back of them, all on the left. My back end was dancing all around and the traffic jam was coming up quick so I took the right side of the chute as an out and accidently got by #938 close but clean. He got me back over the hill, I think I got him again outside T8 and held it before a red flag ended the first lap early and we regridded.

Second start was more of the same, Mike in front, #559 close alongside into T1. I held back in T3 this time, waited until the bikes ahead stretched out a bit, and realized my tires were sticking well and I had some confidence again. I had a great dice with #938 for a few laps before taking him outside T8 again and setting off after some HW bikes, picking off a few before the end. #559 got by me but I was happy to keep him in sight for the rest of the race, even happier when I realized he was a HW and didn't affect my first win! I was also back in the 23's, and my Dad had made it in time to see the whole race. His eyes were as big as saucers, he said we were all crazy, but he was really happy to have seen it. 1st out of 3 starters, with an improved string of 1:23's to end the race and a best of 1:23.36.

PS: all the out-of-region racers I talked to were very friendly and excited to be there, next year I'll try to meet more of them.

Thanks to:
    • the corner workers for looking out for us
    • my infield pit mates Doug, Ty, Brad, Bruce, Sal and Jill for the good company and help
    • Continental tires for the predictable grip, long life, and contingency
    • my Dad for coming out and watching me win!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by brady; 06-19-12 at 07:37 AM. Reason: throttle is the "right" grip apparently
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Re: round 3 race report AM #122 brady

great write-up, sounds like you had a great weekend

:thumbup:

Nice write up Brady... You're an animal out there!

Already can't wait to be back in July!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

good job man. First place is first place no matter how many people are in the race.

I love those unplanned passes. had one last weekend when I thought I was gonna go right up Tyler's ass in 9 and wasn't about to grab the brakes for fear of low siding so I just went around him into T10. it worked and I was really happy cause I've never passed anyone there before.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    good job man. First place is first place no matter how many people are in the race.

I love those unplanned passes. had one last weekend when I thought I was gonna go right up Tyler's ass in 9 and wasn't about to grab the brakes for fear of low siding so I just went around him into T10. it worked and I was really happy cause I've never passed anyone there before.
    That was a sick pass! I was impressed.

Once is enough though.... No more!

Quote Originally Posted by tsanterre View Post
    That was a sick pass! I was impressed.

Once is enough though.... No more!
    thanks. I impressed myself. not sure I can pull it off again against you because of how much you've improved.

Congrats on your 1st win Brady!

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Nice job! Hopefully you will be back in the 1:22's for next weekend!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats on a fantastic weekend Brady, including your first win! Awesome!

#559 is Kevin of RSP racing and yeah the guy is rock solid when it comes to his lines, glad you were able to dice it up a bit with him =)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    Personally I'll count it as real if there are at least three finishers. Which also happens to get me contingency $ .

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Nice job! Hopefully you will be back in the 1:22's for next weekend!
    Thanks, that's the plan!

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Congrats on a fantastic weekend Brady, including your first win! Awesome! #559 is Kevin of RSP racing and yeah the guy is rock solid when it comes to his lines, glad you were able to dice it up a bit with him =)
    Thanks. I'm always happy to have an orange bike to dice with.

Good job Brady and nice to meet your Dad, we'll be in the same general area in July hope to see you then.

Nice work Bro! You were going well out there. Good racing with you!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

I look at it this way Brady....

YOUR STEALING FROM ME!!! YA HEAR ME!!! STEALING!!!! THAT'S MY POSITION!

kidding. always a good race when your around. congratulations on the 1st! I'll see you on the grid!

Quote Originally Posted by doug1611 View Post
    Good job Brady and nice to meet your Dad, we'll be in the same general area in July hope to see you then.
    thanks, see you in July (Sat only, though, Sunday is my 4 year old's birthday)

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Nice work Bro! You were going well out there. Good racing with you! KB
    Thanks, I'll try to keep up next time!

Quote Originally Posted by catahoulabuldog View Post
    I look at it this way Brady....

YOUR STEALING FROM ME!!! YA HEAR ME!!! STEALING!!!! THAT'S MY POSITION!

kidding. always a good race when your around. congratulations on the 1st! I'll see you on the grid!
    I got to work on my stealing, seems like you always take it back the next race! That GTL was the most fun I've had on track.