Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RSP Racing #43 - LRRS Round 1 - 2013

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

RSP Racing #43 - LRRS Round 1 - 2013

RSP Racing #43 Race Report – LRRS Round 1 – April 2013

As with all of my reports they are for me to look back on when I am (more) senile and cant remember anything. This makes them long and probably boring to most of you. I don’t care (another bonus of being old) so read through it if you like, if not the results are in bold =)

Pre-Weekend
    I flew into CT a few days earlier than normal so that I could get some seat time before the race weekend at NJMP with the fine crew at Tonys Track Days.

The Thursday before the event I managed to lock up my back to where I couldn’t move a muscle, literally. Somehow I got to the couch in excruciating pain and just lay there wondering if I was going to have to call an ambulance with a back board.

I had never had back problems before and I am very familiar with pain but this was scary. I had never been so completely incapacitated. Anyway, I popped tons of ibuprofen, some muscle relaxers, and lots of icy-hot patches and tried to sleep. Friday I woke and was able to bend slightly…enough to sit up for a brief moment and then back to the couch. More meds, more rest. I was thoroughly pissed because I signed up for the penguin practice day, hoping to get some time on my beloved SV before the race weekend but it was not to be.

As the day wore on I began to feel slightly better so I finished tossing my crap in the trailer and headed up to the track, stopping every 20-30 minutes to stand up or my back would lock up again. HUGE THANKS to my RSP teammate Mike Kurtz for helping me to unload and get my trailer set up.
    Again, meds and rest once my family showed up to the track.

Saturday I woke up and felt worlds better, meaning that I could actually stand up straight. I was unable to really do a lot and my mobility was crap. There was absolutely no way I was missing out on points for the weekend so I forced my leg over a bike and went out for practice.

It was very painful but manageable, the worst part being that I really couldn’t transition any of my weight to the right which made T1A, T3, and especially T10 “interesting”. There were several times when I thought I wasn’t going to make T10 and was going to hit the grass on the outside of the chute.
    Practice was slow while I just tried to figure out just what I could get away with.

GTL
    My favorite class by far which for 2013 they increased to 25 minutes for the endurance race. Normally I would love this as my physical condition usually gave me an advantage later in the race but today I was dreading the extra time.

I was gridding in 1B next to LRRS legend Rick Doucette(#6/1) on my left and Glenn Coolbeth (#95) and Seth Hahn (#91) finishing out the first row. I know that on my best day I might be able to hang with these guys but I had my doubts about doing that well today.

I got a fairly poor start and ended up 6th going into T1. I made an immediate pass to get into 5th and tried my best to make it to the checkered flag. I admit there were times when I was just going to give up and pit in but stupidity won out and I endured.

About halfway through I made a nice pass on Ted Temple (#52) on the inside of the bowl and just gritted my teeth and twisted the throttle to put some distance between him and solidify my 4th place running as the top three were long lost to the horizon.

All seemed well until with 5 laps to go my back locked up while tipping into T10 and I nearly binned it. I was pushing way too hard, too soon. I immediately lost 2 seconds every lap while I struggled to make it to the end. Unfortunately this left a great chance for Ted to catch back up and he made a fantastic pass on me on the 2nd to last lap. I simply had nothing left to give and rolled across the line in 5th place. Not where I wanted to be but considering my condition far far more than I had any right to ask for.

Outlap: 1:24
    Best Lap: 1:19.142
    Finish: 5th out of 17

Lightweight Grand Prix
    Gridded in 3B and got the worst start of my career. I don’t know what the hell I was doing or thinking but clearly my head was not in the game. I think I went into T1 in the back of the field as I got railroaded to the inside of the turn while the freight train went around me.

What happened next was a giant freak of racing nature as the pack ahead of me crazily swapped lines looking like a group of gerbils on crack while 8 bikes jockeyed for position. Seriously looking through these 8 or so bikes was like trying to navigate the titanic through some icebergs while drunk, blind, and using your feet to steer.

I made a few passes but then just gave up and decided to save my dwindling stamina for a race that I had a small chance in. I finished in 12th with really pitiful lap times. This was just one weird race.

Outlap: 1:26.3 (lol!)
    Best Lap: 1:20.117
    Finish: 12th out of 23

Middleweight Grand Prix – The Dash for Cash
    I have no illusions of actually placing high enough to earn some scratch but I did want to take the opportunity to feel out the GSXR now that it has a straight frame :-p

This was an exciting race despite being so unfamiliar with the bike. I am learning to trust the bike a bit but most of the confidence was coming from the new V2 Pirelli Supercorsa DOT tires put on by MTAG. These things are simply AMAZING. It got to the point where I actually tried to break the rear loose with the result being that I was lifting the front while at max lean…cool but scary at the same time.

I don’t remember much about this race because honestly I was trying not to poop in my leathers while I got used to the new speed and precision that a straight-framed modern 600 demands.

I know I made a few good passes and got passed a lot more but I did manage a few really cool things in this race; I got a new PB on the GSXR, beat a long-time goal of breaking into the 16’s, and I finally started to wheelie over the hill at T5. Incidentally this is really cool until you realize just how fast the tip-in for T6 comes up at >100mph. I distinctly remember thinking “hmm, I hope the front drops ‘cause I really gotta turn soon”.

I am still painfully slow on the GSXR compared to the front runners but at least now I am starting to develop some confidence in the bike. Hopefully I will carry more speed and break into the 15s next round.

Outlap: 1:25.5
    Best Lap: 1:16.840 (new PB!)
    Finish: 18th out of 27

Sunday Practice:
    I woke feeling TONS better. Still very sore but no more stabbing pain which felt amazing to me. I was amazed at how the human body could recover from basically being incapacitated to fit enough for racing in two days. I was expecting a LONG recovery period from the horror stories I had heard from the unfortunates who deal with chronic back pain.

Anyway, I skipped the 1st practices since it was too cold and I didn’t want to push myself needlessly. I did manage to get my name up on the board during my SV practice by turning some 1:18s which I thought was just plain awesome. I felt smooth and while not 100%, I was far better than the day before which got my spirits soaring.

Lightweight SuperBike
    Gridded in 3B and got a decent start, slotting into 4th from the start. I got passed almost immediately by ultra-fast guy Sean Byrnes (#111) while I tried my hardest to keep up with the front pack. Sadly it was just not to be. Try as I might, they slowly gapped me.

I got passed once more at some point during the race, I don’t recall where which pushed me back to my final position of 6th place. Considering the size of the grid and the fact that it was the first round after a long break without practice, I am pleased but will continue to strive for better. My first expert podium still eludes me.

Of note, in case any of the officials at LRRS read this, I would like to point out that one of the guys that passed me on my built superbike motor like I was going backwards in time was Charles Sandoz riding a 2013 ducati monster 1000 evo??!?! Really? Light weight my ass. Put down the crack pipe please. Thanks. It is bad enough having to go against the 105hp buells.

Outlap: 1:23.5
    Best Lap: 1:18.780
    Finish: 6th out of 23

Middleweight SuperSport
    Gridded in 3A this was an interesting race. I got a killer start and somehow ended up going into T1 in 4th place right behind the middleweight legends of Scott Greenwood (#4), Tyler Sweeney (#745), and Corey Hildebrand (#8)! I had a definite “oh shit” moment as I suddenly realized where I was and now had absolutely NO CLUE how to keep pace :-p Hell I still struggle with shift points on that bike!

I almost feel like I need to apologize to the guys that got stuck behind me although the next few laps were almost comical as I was passed repeatedly which thankfully points out just how damn slow I am on this bike.

It was fun nonetheless as riding that bike is both exhilarating and scary at the same time. I actually did some dicing with a few guys for as long as I could hold with them and made a few pass-backs which was just grand. I was pleased that I could recognize and seize the opportunities when they presented themselves, I am just so unfamiliar with riding the bike that I am still very prone to making mistakes which add up very quickly in an unforgiving and very competitive bracket.

I finished far better than I expected and had a big grin on my face when I was done. This is almost as much fun as riding the SV…almost :-p

Outlap: 1:20.731 (might be a new PB…unsure)
    Best Lap: 1: 17.231
    Finish: 9th out of 22

In Closing:
    Wow, what a weekend. The racing aside it was SO good to see all my extended track family once again. The people here really make this series something special so my thanks to those who are a part of it.

I was overwhelmed by the people stopping by to ask how I was doing (thanks all!) and the support I received from friends, family, and strangers alike. I would like to thank all the RSP friends and fans who made the trip up to lend a hand in the pits or just be a part of the festivities. You guys ROCK! It really means the world to us to have you there and sharing in this craziness.

I am very pleased with my results, especially with my physical condition and the rust of it simply being the first round of the season. There was a lot of adversity but with a little perseverance and a LOT of help from my friends and supporters, I would say this was a very good weekend.

Huge thanks to my wife Erin, my boys Emmett and Aidan, and our pooch Khan =). The support I get from you all is humbling.

A final thanks to my sponsors for all the encouragement and backing you provide! Spears Racing, Sportbike Track Gear, Knox Armor, Tonys Track Days, MTAG Pirelli, Dyno Solutions, Brunetto T-Shirts, EBC Brakes, and a special welcome to my new supporters for 2013: Nexx Helmets, Woodcraft, Armour Bodies, GMD Computrack Boston, Crossfit Halo and Motul.
    Seeya in May!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: RSP Racing #43 - LRRS Round 1 - 2013

Great job salvaging the weekend with your back issue. I can't believe you did all those races. You are a TRUE racer!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

you rocked this weekend!
    good meeting ya finally.. see ya in May

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

AMAZING weekend considering the pain you were going thru. Hell and to beat your PB in an April event. Guess that bike was really out of wack.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Great job salvaging the weekend with your back issue. I can't believe you did all those races. You are a TRUE racer!
    Eh, I dont know about that. I just didnt want to get zero points for the weekend. I am going to try to make something by the end of the season and since there is no way I am going to be winning many podiums (if any), I cant afford to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    you rocked this weekend!
    good meeting ya finally.. see ya in May
    Thanks, and same to you. I always love meeting the new folks and watching them progress. I know you have a lot of ass-kicking in you =)

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    AMAZING weekend considering the pain you were going thru. Hell and to beat your PB in an April event. Guess that bike was really out of wack.
    Yeah, the old frame was totally fubar'd. I cant remember the exact details PK told me but it was stuffed so hard back and to the right I was running something like ~91mm of trail and a few degrees bent to the right. The new platform feels worlds better and I know I am gonna catch crap for this but I am absolutely loving the new generation of Pirelli rubber. It is going a long way towards helping me to establish trust.

you gave me props for running 8 races but what you had to overcome with that back issue was far more ironman than being 100% doing 8 races.

I had no idea about the back issue, way to tough it out, that stuff scares the bejesus out of me.

Seems like some pretty good times and a lot of fun despite the circumstances. Good seeing you as always, weekend 2 is less than 3 weeks away!

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Congrats on the personal best and thanks for a good read.