Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RSP Racing #434 - LRRS Round 4 2012 Race Report

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

RSP Racing #434 - LRRS Round 4 2012 Race Report

Race Report – Rd4– 7/21-7/22
    AKA The good and the bad AKA “if it weren’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck at all”

As always this will be quite long. Look for results in BOLD.

Arrival
    I flew in from Montana at Midnight of Wednesday, woke early Thursday to begin work on the SV. I had blown up my SuperBike race engine at the last event and had relied on my friend and sponsor Gregg Spears of Spears Enterprises to put a package together for me. So in preparation I began removing the engine. Right on time the motor arrived and I got it installed. True to his word and extreme professionalism the engine fired right up and I was immediately impressed with the crisp throttle response and the speed at which it spooled up.

I tossed the plastics back on it, got the trailer hitched and my wife and I headed up to the track Thursday night. It was 2AM by the time I got our trailer set up and hit the rack.

Friday Practice
    I woke up at 6AM to get a head start on the remaining work before I could get out to break the motor in and turn a few practice laps. I had to replace tires on the GSXR and swap tires to a set that only had 1 race on them for the SV, change the oil in the GSXR, and re-safety wire the entire SV as everything had been removed.

I went out for one session on the GSXR in the late morning and was instantly reminded that I had very little idea of how to ride this bike. It is still very awkward for me to ride at pace and I am constantly fighting the bike. Still I managed to click off some low :18’s which I didn’t feel was too bad for being so new to the bike.

Back in the garage I finished buttoning up the SV, got it running, and rolled through tech. I was very excited to get back on my SV and out in the game as I really feel so much more comfortable on this bike. I took it pretty easy for my outlap as the motor is still fresh but wicked it up just a tad for lap two but as I entered T1 under hard braking the front end just dropped solid on me.

I braked as best I could and managed to navigate the 1-2 stretch but when I looked down it appears that my right fork tube ruptured and fork oil was dumping all over my rotor. I limped back to the pits, completely disbelieving my luck, and quickly got my fork off the bike and over to Pete Kates of GMD Computrack Boston.

Rather than wait for the fork I knew that if I was ever going to get competent riding the GSXR I needed more seat time so I went out for another practice session. Thankfully nothing exploded but I was amazed to find when I got back that Pete was already done with my fork! HUGE THANKS to Pete Kates of GMD for getting me back in the game so quickly!!!!

Renewed I quickly reassembled the SV. There was only two practice sessions left in the day but I was determined to make them. I got out for both and was very impressed with the new motor. It ran like a champ and pulled strong everywhere. I found myself hitting the rev limiter in places I had never before and my overall pace was up. Out of both sessions I managed to turn a best time of 1:18.8 which is tied with my personal best on the SV.

Saturday Practice

I was excited to get back out on the SV after some quick maintenance to the bikes (fluids changed in both) and ran both sessions on the SV, one on the GSXR. Nothing special to report except that I once again hit a 1:18.8 on the SV, tying my PB for the 3rd time but knowing that I had a lot more left to go.

GTL
    This is the race I was most looking forward to. I started from 1B next to Rick Doucette (#6) on my left and David Dayon (#611) on my right. I got a very good launch and had the holeshot until ultra-fast Glenn Coolbeth (#95) came around me on the outside of T1 and took the lead. I knew that I had Rick right behind me and that Scott Mullen (#24) and Seth Hahn (#91) must be there as well as they are both faster than me so I really put my head down and began to push hard. I was shocked that I was able to stay with Glenn the entire first lap and also that I hadn’t yet been passed. Thanks to Arcy of OTM for capturing my 1:21 outlap of fame :-p

I crossed the line in 2nd place for the first time since bumping to EX but I was struggling with rear tire grip as I had opted to stick with my slicks that I had been running rather than going with new (dumb dumb dumb). At some point throughout the next 2-3 laps I ended up getting passed by Rick and Scott but the race was red-flagged at the 5 lap mark when AM powerhouse Lou Peck (#212) had an unfortunate crash at the exit of T12.

After a brief wait on hot-pit we went back out to re-start. I didn’t get as good of a start this time and lined up for T1 right behind Rick Doucette who seemed to check up as a line of traffic went around us both and I was pushed back to 5th. Rick and Scott quickly separated themselves from the pack and left me to battle with Seth and Glenn for the remainder of the race. Sadly my traction issues coupled with Glenns masterful use of Amateur traffic kept me from mounting an attack although I did cross the line a scant .3 behind him. I think if I had another lap I might have been able to do something but cest la vie.

I did manage to get a new personal best as well as a new best outlap on the SV and also held onto my 2nd place in the points standing for GTL.

Outlap: 1:21.753 (new PB)
    Best Lap: 1.18.581 (new PB)
    Finish: 5th out of 13

Lightweight Grand Prix
    I put a new sticky Pirelli on the back courtesy of MTAG Pirelli and dropped half a pound of pressure from my norm under the reasoning that my slightly quicker pace and fresh motor required a bit more rear traction. The combination was magic. I could tell from my warm-up lap that things were working perfectly and my spirits were high.

I was set up in 2D (2nd row, outside) and got a great start but apparently both Rick Doucette (#6) and Scott Mullen (#24) did as well. I slipped into T1 in 3rd place directly on the rear wheel of Scott. I knew that both of these men were incredibly fast so I pushed as hard as I could and was surprised that I actually gained about half a bike on Scott going into T3 (I later found out he was still running his SS motor :/ ). In any case I stayed on the throttle as long as possible while the bike moved under me and gave it my all.

I was rewarded by sticking with both the race leaders throughout the entire race. The bike felt perfect; fast and loose, she carved through corners without a single complaint. I found that I was able to carry more speed nearly everywhere and leveraged that for all I could and was actually scraping my toes in most corners, something I rarely do.

I was rapidly tiring as the race went on but I was too close to the front runners to give up and pushed through it.

At the white flag my friends on the front straight timed me at less than 3-4 seconds behind 2nd place runner Scott Mullen which was simply amazing to me as typically I lose sight of both of them by the 3rd or 4th lap.

So it was that on the last lap, in the last turn my luck reared up again. Well, I can’t blame luck as it was fatigue and rider error that caused me to crash out in T11, forfeiting what should have been my first EX podium. I distinctly recall the feeling of the front tire giving way as I fell to the ground and slid on my butt. I had my hands in the air while I was still sliding while shouting in my helmet “ARE YOU F#$&ING KIDDING ME??!”

Continuing my luck I found out that the SD card for all of my races to this point was corrupt so I have no footage from anything.
    Still, despite the crash I am very excited for this race as it pushed me through a threshold that I thought I wouldn’t see for many years. Thank you to both Rick and Scott for the tow

I looked at my times afterwards and was VERY pleased to see that I had crushed my personal best by a huge margin in both outlap and lap times. Not one of my laps was slower than my previous personal best.

*EDIT** Also I had no idea that there were so many people rooting for me to take that third (Chipper, Wild Bill, et. al.). Sorry I let you all down

Outlap: 1:20.677 (new PB)
    Best Lap: 1:17.489 (new PB by 1.4 seconds)
    Finish: DNF

Middleweight GP – The “Dash for Cash”
    I had a one race break in between my crash and this race so basically I tried to put it out of my head and drag my exhausted body onto a bike that I knew was more difficult for me to ride. Downed some water and with a LOT of help and encouragement from my team and Erik (ct1200) I got back out there for the 12 lap torture session.

I was (and am) still very upset at giving up my first podium which was keeping me from getting my head in the game. Consequently there isn’t much to say about this race except that I was exhausted both mentally and physically and by the halfway point I was considering taking a voluntary DNF as I felt I was a danger both to myself and my fellow riders. Instead I dialed it back a bit and waved people past and did my best to keep the race line clear.

I did manage to get a new PB on the GSXR in the initial laps before exhaustion overtook me completely.

Outlap: 1:22.036
    Best Lap: 1:17.190 (new PB)
    Finish: 17th out of 23

Sunday Practice
    Sunday morning I began putting the SV back together after my crash only to discover that the damage was more extensive than the usual crash parts. The bike wouldn’t shift into 1st or 2nd gear. After a few hours of mechanical work I was unsuccessful and was forced to withdraw from Sunday’s lightweight races. This is very upsetting as not only is the motor brand new but I also wanted to run the race to affirm that I really was capable of running 17s.

I did a middleweight practice on the GSXR but felt out of sorts and honestly had lost any desire to be there.

Middleweight Supersport
    I was going to skip this race and go home however my wife and teammates talked me into giving it a go. My head wasn’t in it and I just rolled around. On the plus side I got a very good start but after my friend Christian Smutnick ((#316) nearly crashed twice in the same lap I decided that it simply wasn’t worth it and I just dialed it back and waited for the flag, completely upset with myself and my inability to move past the funk I was in.

You can see this mediocre race here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly_TVjV7M9k

Outlap: 1:21.572
    Best Lap: 1:17.454
    Finish: 10th out of 14

Conclusion

After an endless string of bad luck, the only thing I have to show for it is 1:17’s on the SV. While this is no small feat the sheer amount of money, time, and effort that it took to get there is nothing short of depressing. I am trying to focus on what little positive there is, I feel that the outcome of the next race weekend will be a deciding factor in the reminder of my racing career.

I would like to thank first and foremost Gregg Spears of Spears Enterprises for the fantastic motor that he was able to build for me in record time and get it shipped to me just in time to make the race weekend. None of this would be possible without his unwavering support.
    Also I would like to thank Erik (ct1200) for all of the help that he provides in our pits which is nothing short of incredible.

As always thanks to my wife, my family, my teammates, my friends, and the officials and cornerworkers who allow this to become reality.
    Finally sincere thanks to my sponsors listed below for all of the encouragement and assistance you have provided, it means more to me than any of you will ever know.

Finally, a few shots from this weekend

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Re: RSP Racing #434 - LRRS Round 4 2012 Race Report

Love reading your stuff Mike. Grats on the new times.

+1 for Erik. He was all over the place this weekend helping everyone out. THANKS

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Dude great job this weekend. When I heard you and Glenn were leading for as long as you were I was ecstatic. Congrats on the new pb and the FAST times and hopefully you can get that motor fixed cheaply and quickly for the next round.

Just give the GSXR some time before you get too aggravated on it and try adjusting suspension settings and such. It might take a while to get it right, but once you do...you will be moving on that thi....well..you are already moving on it. Nice job.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Looked really good out there this weekend, tough luck but you seemed to have made the best out of it. Thanks for the t1 pointers this weekend. In my last race I had a lot of open track and really worked on keeping my bike more upright before getting on the brakes and it really smoothed out the turn, something I need to focus on in all of my entries.

See ya in August.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    I am trying to focus on what little positive there is, I feel that the outcome of the next race weekend will be a deciding factor in the reminder of my racing career.
    are you fucking kidding me. you're fast on both bikes, don't let a little crash get you down. fix the bike and come back next round well rested. the only problem I see that hurt you this weekend was the lack of sleep. you're right there near the top on the SV, with the improvements you've really been making over the last year you might be showing Scott and Rick a wheel by the end of the year.

and 17s are shitty on the GSXR I can barely manage a 19 with much more seat time on this bike than you have on yours. you're doing just fine on that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    are you fucking kidding me. you're fast on both bikes, don't let a little crash get you down. fix the bike and come back next round well rested. the only problem I see that hurt you this weekend was the lack of sleep. you're right there near the top on the SV, with the improvements you've really been making over the last year you might be showing Scott and Rick a wheel by the end of the year.

and 17s are shitty on the GSXR I can barely manage a 19 with much more seat time on this bike than you have on yours. you're doing just fine on that thing.
    I mean you absolutely no disrespect but I would wager that I have a lot more time going around that track than you do, no matter what bike I am on. The crash has nothing to do with my considerations, it is simply a ROI. This weekend has cost me more than some people pay for their cars, I am trying to decide if this kind of a budget is worth the fun.

I mean you absolutely no disrespect but I would wager that I have a lot more time going around that track than you do, no matter what bike I am on. The crash has nothing to do with my considerations, it is simply a ROI. This weekend has cost me more than some people pay for their cars, I am trying to decide if this kind of a budget is worth the fun.
    you forgot to mention you have much more talent than me I think it took me 4 years on my 929 before I finally could even be called track day fast on it. then I immediately went faster on the 600 the first time I threw a leg over it, been on it almost 2 years now with a year and a half of racing.

you gotta pay to play. it shouldn't cost so much next round so divide the bike build and repair of this weekend by however many more weekends it lasts. I hope you stick with it cause I think you can be right up the front on the SV. you've been making good progress and you're just one step away.

Man, I thought I had a long weekend. You were looking great out there and seriously movin'.

I call BS.

Look at it this way: Bum deal on the bad luck but imagine how good it's going to be once you get out of this funk??

We'll see you in August then.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Last edited by snwbrdr435; 07-24-12 at 09:54 PM.

Great shot! Thanks for taking it!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Some sweat shots there Marco.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Thanks for the encouragement all, I really do appreciate it. I am feeling a bit better about it now that I have had some sleep and found the root of my engine issues (shift star). It is just damn depressing spending multiple thousands on a new mill to break it within 40 laps of getting it installed :-p This is why I cant have nice things!

you forgot to mention you have much more talent than me I think it took me 4 years on my 929 before I finally could even be called track day fast on it. then I immediately went faster on the 600 the first time I threw a leg over it, been on it almost 2 years now with a year and a half of racing.

you gotta pay to play. it shouldn't cost so much next round so divide the bike build and repair of this weekend by however many more weekends it lasts. I hope you stick with it cause I think you can be right up the front on the SV. you've been making good progress and you're just one step away.
    I meant to reply to this earlier. I honestly dont know that it is anything other than seat time. I think I have turned somewhere near 3000 laps around that place in the last few years which is enough to give anyone an edge. Still, thank you for the encouragement. I will be moving forward and running at the next weekend.

My apologies to all for being a whiney beyotch =)

Thanks for the encouragement all, I really do appreciate it. I am feeling a bit better about it now that I have had some sleep and found the root of my engine issues (shift star). It is just damn depressing spending multiple thousands on a new mill to break it within 40 laps of getting it installed :-p This is why I cant have nice things!

I meant to reply to this earlier. I honestly dont know that it is anything other than seat time. I think I have turned somewhere near 3000 laps around that place in the last few years which is enough to give anyone an edge. Still, thank you for the encouragement. I will be moving forward and running at the next weekend.

It happens. Now get it ready for next round.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Amazing progress with the PB's.

found the root of my engine issues (shift star).
    excellent.

the only thing I have to show for it is 1:17’s on the SV.
    "only"? 17's would be enough for most racers (but we know you're not "most racers").

the sheer amount of money, time, and effort that it took to get there
    it's supposed to be hard, right? Just don't forget about the fun.

Keep the racing and reports coming.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

shift star. cheap part compared to the rest. good time for an upgrade if it wasn't already a good one.

for me a lot of my track time for years was spent trying to have fun not really focusing on getting faster. I always worked on general stuff like being smooth and having good body position and good lines. I really need to focus on fixing single problems like fixing what corners are bad. I'm determined to actually fix some issues on monday.

Part of what makes you so damn fast is that ability to analyze and desire to push harder. It was great to see you running up front, enjoy it and the sick lap times for a bit! Not too many people can do what you did, congrats.

for me a lot of my track time for years was spent trying to have fun not really focusing on getting faster. I always worked on general stuff like being smooth and having good body position and good lines. I really need to focus on fixing single problems like fixing what corners are bad. I'm determined to actually fix some issues on monday.
    Different methods work for different people, it all depends on how you think and learn. For me, I collect a lot of data and analyze it, then pick a specific area that needs improvement and focus on it until I get it down. I hope your Monday worked out for you but if not feel free to contact me and I will help you if I am able.

Quote Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
    Part of what makes you so damn fast is that ability to analyze and desire to push harder. It was great to see you running up front, enjoy it and the sick lap times for a bit! Not too many people can do what you did, congrats.
    Thanks Bill. I cant say how much I appreciate the fact that you and Chip were cheering for me, and I am sorry to let you down. Next round I hope that your faith will be justified