Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RSP Racing #721 Race Report - Rd 2 2017

RSP Racing #721 Race Report - Rd 2 2017

tl;dr: Consistent times, got a new PB (on this bike, not overall) and had some fun!

Friday

The usual Friday. Pack the truck and trailer and get going by the afternoon. This time I had Missy and Jamie with me! Arrived at the track around 6, went through tech (and like everyone else, was pestered about my numbers), and grabbed some Brookside with the center garage peeps.

Saturday

First practice felt terrible, but after eating some food (thanks Missy!) I went out to second practice and was much more consistent with times and I was much more loose.

There was a pretty big delay after race 3 due to a pretty nasty incident involving two riders, one of which was sent to the hospital (and almost by helicopter). Both riders are alive and doing relatively okay. Before we knew that though, everyone was in a really somber mood. Hopefully everyone heals up okay!

Anyway, onto the races. Apologies for not having the correct finishing order or anything. Trackintel (such a wonderful website!) still doesn't have race results from this weekend. But laptimes are there at least.

Race 6 - NOV Formula 3

Gridded 1A. Got the holeshot! Apparently throughout the first six laps I gapped the rest of the grid so far that I was going through T2 while the 2nd place rider was coming out of T12. I got by a few riders in the MW pack. I kept thinking I was seeing a rider behind me, and thought it was the 2nd place rider, so I was pushing as hard as I could to fend them off, all the while my team was practically joining hands at the front straight to try and tell me I had miles between me and the next rider (which I didnt see lol). Then I made an oopise. On lap 7, entered T1 a little wider than I wanted to, hit the bump (while off the brakes) which is totally fine, but I think I was a bit too hard on the bars. It upset the suspension, and combined with cracking the throttle a bit too early, I ended up in a light lowside right into the grass. Gave the corner marshalls a thumbs up, and they helped me get my bike up to the NASCAR oval where I did a quick look over, and ended up getting back on and finishing the race. I was dead last, but whatever. The funny part was that I entered the track behind the 1st place rider, #642 Phil Wilkinson, which left him a bit puzzled when we drag raced to the finish line. Haha good stuff.

It sucks to crash out of 1st place, but I ended up with a new PB for this bike (1:26.9). So it wasn't a total loss!

12th? of 12?
    Outlap: 01:30.558
    Best lap: 01:26.923

Race 10 - NOV Formula 2

Gridded 3C. Not a bad start. The first two rows beat me to T1, but I managed to keep them in sight for a whole lap. Had a few good battles with the riders who were around my pace. I was really just out there to try and reduce my times, which didn't happen, but I was super consistent, with pretty much every lap in the 1.28s. And this time there weren't any incidents! Haha.

7th of ??
    Outlap: 01:34.721
    Best lap: 01:28.278

Saturday night was fun. Watched the dash from the T6 bleachers, went to the awards ceremony, ate at Brookside again, and got some tasty ice cream. Shawn and Lea brought a Moscow Mule care package. I forgot how tasty those things were, thanks guys!

After watching some eventful cornhole matches, I went to bed fairly early to get ready for the next day.

Sunday

More of the usual. Wake up, practice, eat, get ready to race.

Race 6 - NOV Rookie 3

Gridded 1B. Another holeshot! I was able to stay in 1st for about 3 laps until I was passed on the brakes going into T3 by someone on a blue SV. I'm not sure who that was, but they were haulin'. I tried to chase after him, but he kept pulling away. At some point (my memory is hazy on this) another rider on a white SV also got by me and checked out. On lap 5 lap Phil was showing me a wheel in every corner eventually getting by me coming out of T12. I got him back on the brakes into T1 and held him off for another lap, but he got me again coming out of T12 and this time he held on longer going into T1 and I couldn't get him (sound familiar? haha). He was pulling away from me like crazy and I found out why later. He hit a 1.25 trying to keep ahead of me. Nice work dude!

4th of ??
    Outlap: 01:30.148
    Best lap: 01:28.168

Another great weekend in the books!

As usual, some thanks to be had; My awesome teammates RSP Racing; My amazing sponsors, MTAG Pirelli, Mad Scientist Moto, SportbikeTrackGear.com, GMD Computrack Boston, Tony's Track Days, Knox, Armor Bodies, and Brunetto Tshirts; All the amazing staff at the track, registration, the officials, flaggers, corner workers, and EMTs. You all make this place run like a top and keep us safe (especially this weekend)! And always last but never least, my wife Missy (and pup Jamie)! Thanks for coming up to support me this weekend!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Re: RSP Racing #721 Race Report - Rd 2 2017

Thanks to chainwheel moto for the awesome pictures as usual!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Re: RSP Racing #721 Race Report - Rd 2 2017

Great job last weekend. It was a pleasure to finally meet you off the track.
    Definitely had me super confused on the last lap coming down the straight. Can't wait to race with you again soon

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION