Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RSP Racing AM#447 - LRRS Round 1 - Mustang

RSP Racing AM#447 - LRRS Round 1 - Mustang

I always say I'm going to write these reports as soon as I get home Sunday...this Round I actually brought my laptop, thinking I would write part of the report each day...before I forgot most of the details...apparently I failed...

Thursday
    I signed up for my first Friday Practice ever, so headed up to the track Thursday after work. I arrived around 1030p to a very sparse paddock, a locked garage, and a serious lack of Casa de RSP in the infield. A quick call to 816 revealed that no one knew I was coming Thursday night Luckily 434's camper had an extra bed, so I didn't have to sleep in the car...

Friday
    Practice felt surprisingly good, with my laptimes slowly dropping. Only managed to get into the 25s though...so that was disappointing seeing as how my PB is 1:23.0xx. Regardless, it was great to be back experiencing post-track activities Friday night.

Saturday
    Was coooooooold and windy. I waited until "2nd practice" to go out, and again was in the 25s/26s. Not pleased, but I felt decent out there. I was gridded 2nd from the wall, 2nd row, in my LWGP wave...got an OK start - but so did everyone else! If I remember correctly, 769 and I fought several times for 4th/5th until the 3rd lap...and that was the majority of the activity for this race. Keith got a lead on me, and though I kept him in sight, I couldn't reel him back in. I did pass 1 or 2 experts in the wave in front of us, so I was happy about that, and was reeling in a final expert for the last lap or two. I finally planned my attack for the exit of 12, put my head down, and motored past him about 20 feet from the start/finish...and about 5 feet later saw 226 Brett Larson somehow sneak between me and the wall and somehow motor past me, taking my 5th place by about a wheel. Final: 6th in LWGP, best lap in the 25s I think.

Sunday
    Less wind = good. Practice felt better; even clicked off a couple high 24s. I was in Races 9 and 11 - hanging around all day not racing sucks... Race 9 LWSS is one I was looking forward to all winter, as I did relatively well there last year, and 769 and I usually have some good battles. I get what I thought was an awesome start, took the holeshot, but didn't accelerate as quickly as I could have through 1A and 2. As I exited T2, 769 and I made contact and I went down (T2 hates me, really). Bike spun forward, I went lateral into the airfence (which landed on top of me somehow). Though only going 50mph, my bike somehow took Kurtz's lower off before it hit the wall at nearly 10g's (thanks Qstarz for that data). Once I was sure I had stopped moving and no bikes were coming at me, I got up, saw the field of scattered debris, and just began picking up parts. Once the corner worker got my bike, I tried to re-grid...but due to the impact I couldn't move the shifter. DNS for LWSS.

Got back to the garage and the RSP and ECK guys went to town on assessing and fixing my bike as I blew off steam (wub you guys, thanks again). I had to get it tech'd again, as I was now the only person registered for AM Thunderbike --- and though I didn't want my first AM win to be due to lack of registrations, I certainly wasn't going to give up my first AM win due to a shifter! Two trips through tech and a rearset stolen off 769's SV got me on the grid for TB. I only "planned" to do a lap and a half, as that was all that'd be required for me to technically complete the race, and I was missing a windscreen and fender w/a borrowed rearset and tweaked forks...but once I got out there a switch flipped in my brain and I had to complete the race. I wasn't going to "win" my first race by bitching out - if the bike would ride w/o being dangerous, I was going to do it. So, I pressed on, actually keeping up with the back of the MW wave in which they placed me...and once I decided to not pit in I put my head down and passed the back MW bike. So technically I think I still won Best lap in the 26s, and my first trophy.

End
    After coming in from LWSS, I was literally ready to give up racing. After 20 seconds in Thunderbike, I was planning how to be ready for Round 2. This racing thing really is like some kind of sick fetish, even for the "thrifty" ones among us. Though I have plenty of crap to do otherwise, I've already spent 4 hrs working on the bike trying to get it ready for Round 2.

THANK YOU to my RSP Racing teammates, the ECK boys as well as those noobs a couple garages down...all my sponsors below, especially Tony's Track Days for the training, Sportbike Track Gear and Knox for the stuff that kept me safe, and Mad Monkey Motorsports for the awesome laptimer that allowed me to understand why my forks and fairing stay are tweaked . See yall in a couple weeks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Re: RSP Racing AM#447 - LRRS Round 1 - Mustang

Nice write up Bill! You had your boogie on in TB!

The wait for race 9 drives me nuts, too. Sucks about the LWSS. You should just rename T2 to T1b and be done with it. Glad you made it back out for TB .

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Way to go Bill! Glad you were able to get back out there.

Nice write up also. Keep on Keepin' on!!!!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Glad to see that you got back on the horse and did the Thunderbike race. You were a trooper for staying out there the whole race when you really didn't need to.

As for LWSS, shake it off. Not much to get pissed about, things happen. Get the bike fixed and come back to round 2 clear-headed.

You have a whole support group willing to help.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Nice write-up for the weekend. I was corner working Turn 1 (out by NASCAR Turn 1 Oval Wall) and saw both of you guys tangle through Turn 2 on the first lap. Bummer that you couldn't re-start LWSS, but at least your buddies got your bike back together for ThunderBike! You can't win a race on the first lap, but you need to finish all the laps to do well, when there are others still out there competing. As cold & windy as it was in April, I'm looking forward to nicer weather at LRRS Event# 2 in May. Congrats!

good job getting back on the horse.

Good job getting back out there after that little incident. Oh, and next time you arrive at the track and find yourself abandoned and forgotten by your team mates, you're welcome to come knock on my door if you need emergency shelter!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    The wait for race 9 drives me nuts, too. Sucks about the LWSS. You should just rename T2 to T1b and be done with it. Glad you made it back out for TB .
    T1B, I like it! And it shall be written...
    Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    Way to go Bill! Glad you were able to get back out there.

Nice write up also. Keep on Keepin' on!!!!
    Jeez Eric, I saw you Friday I think but was still asleep so didn't realize it was you till later. Sorry your weekend didn't go as planned We'll catch up this month hopefully!
    Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Good job getting back out there after that little incident. Oh, and next time you arrive at the track and find yourself abandoned and forgotten by your team mates, you're welcome to come knock on my door if you need emergency shelter!
    Thanks Roland!

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

I am coming for you RSP mother son of a guns in MAY!!

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

I believe I shall take the role of RSP public relations and respond with "Bring it, beeyotch!" :-p

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice recovery Bill and great times for the first weekend back.

It was frustrating seeing you get back to the pre-grid in time and then not being able to shift, but you came back hot. Adam and I were watching you in T3 and you were killing it. Nice passes and smooth riding to boot. Looking forward to gridding up with you next round. Hopefully I can at least keep you in my sights for a couple laps....

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |