Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Summit Point (WERA) - June 2 & 3, 2012 - Race Report

Summit Point (WERA) - June 2 & 3, 2012 - Race Report

Well, the weekend was short and this race report will be much the same way.

Saturday, June 2nd - Being that I had only a handful of laps from Friday's NESBA trackday, I was dualy pleased to see that I was both very consistent and also well within 1s of the front runners, many of which had completed plenty more laps than I. I was entered in the MW Solo (16 laps) and was prepared to pace myself and finish well. I got a great start and had 1st place from row 2 but, with my limited experience at Summit Point, I parked it going into T1 and lost numerous places in the process. Knowing why things unfolded the way they did, I dialed in my patience and started to pick away at the field. As the laps progressed, several pass attempts were made by a trailing rider (bike #37) and we soon were both fighting tooth and nail for 6th position. During this time we were closing in on the 5th place competitor, whose pace a dropped considerably, however on lap 11 the #37 bike had a massive crash in T9 which caused the race to be red flagged. I would hold on to 6th place for my first WERA race as well as first race at this new-to-me racetrack.

Sunday, June 3rd - This is where the weekend took a bad turn and was also cut short. During the second practice session a water pump seal let go which emptied the cooling system's contents into my bellypan by the end of the main straight. That in turn sent me into a lowside as I exited T1 since the rear tire was now being drenched. I had posted a personal best and was setting up to improve considerably over that but the chance to make good on that on Sunday is something I will have to attempt at a later time. The bike was damaged though as I type this I am uncertain how much damage was sustained. My brand new leathers are now fully broken in and I tore up my Held Phantoms pretty well.

All in all, other than the mechanical issue, my first WERA event was an incredible experience. The entire WERA staff was impressively helpful and patient with my countless questions and two of them even went so far as to check on me after I came back on the crash truck....something I did not expect at all!

Thank you to Priv for getting the correct parts in and on time and also at an unbeatable price so I could service critical areas of my 4Runner prior to leaving NH. If you are not already contacing her for your car and truck parts you are seriously missing out!

I would also like to thank Rob at Lithium Motorsports for getting an order of Continental tires to me on short notice.

Finally I must extend a HUGE thank you in the direction of my two top supporters for making this trip possible, Code Red Assembly and Boston Moto. Without their help this trip would have had its own unique challenges to overcome. Your level of support has been unmatched and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Now it's time to put the bike back together and prepare for VIR and, at some point, complete my unfinished business at Summit Point Raceway!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 06-05-12 at 07:44 PM.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Yay! On the the good bits.

Boo! On the bad bits.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Full Tilt - Full Time Trackday Guru's Avatar

Re: Summit Point (WERA) - June 2 & 3, 2012 - Race Report

Sorry to hear about your crash Bergs, but great job all in all - glad you're ok.
    Wish I was there with ya.

Mike
    Am #124

Sounds like a blast (minus the fall). I hope to do a WERA event next year just for the hell of it!

Glad you had fun Paul.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

take the opportunity to update your ride

Word.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Sucks about the crash Bergs, but sounds like it was still a fun weekend!

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Way to go Bergs, wish I coulda been there to help you learn your way 'round... but then again, the last time I raced there I came home on percosets with my first ever dislocated shoulder. Glad you fared better!

CCS/LRRS #83

Damn that sucks about the crash. Sounds like a good time.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Thanks for the props Bergsyyyyyyy

Also sorry you fell down but glad it was a good time/learning experience over all. Any time you need anything I'm here!

The guys at work were laughing at me cause I was talking to them all drugged up from getting my teeth yanked, so all in all, a great experience for all

Bopida Beepoo

Nice report. Too bad about the crash. What kind of bike are you on and did you like the layout of the track?

Thanks all. The weekend was exceptionally fun and entertaining regardless of the major setback on Sunday. I am, however, very glad that it happened in practice rather than during competition where the bike could well have taken out other riders and that's the silver lining I'm concentrating on....that no one else was involved.

Mike (Rambunctous) - The bike is a 2002 Honda F4i and the layout of the track presents its own challenges. That said, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

In other news, I am very disappointed to report that the damages to the bike are much worse than I originally anticipated. I knew the steering stabilizer and front fender were affected but it's looking like the forks might have an issue and I know the exhaust from the collector to the muffler have been severly damaged. In light of this, I'm not sure if VIR is in the cards now.

If there is anyone who has an idea as to where I can source a replacement hi-mount and/ or full exhaust (hi-mount) PLEASE contact me! The header and intermediate pipe are the ones I'm really after but I'll take the entire system if it's available. The rest I can figure out but the exhaust is a biggie.

damn bergs, i havent been carrying my iphone around lately. i didnt even see the txts about this. give me a call when you get a chance

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Glad you had fun at your first WERA event...sucks about the crash. At least you didn't get hurt.

I have a bike you might be interested in for a very resonable price. Give me a call this weekend and we can talk.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Bergs, give me a ring if you need a hand wrenching around. I'm a wizard at flashlight holding.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Bergs, give me a ring if you need a hand wrenching around. I'm a wizard at flashlight holding.
    If he offers to take off his robe and wizard hat, run away!