Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RSP Racing EX #86 Round 1

RSP Racing EX #86 Round 1

Cliff's Notes: Racing is awesome, 1.2 seconds off my PB in Round 1, new setup feels great, ready to attack Round 2.

It was a long racetrack week for me; left for NJMP last Sunday, got home at 11pm Tuesday, worked Wed then headed to NHMS for a 01:30 arrival on Thursday morning. Unpacked, and hit the air mattress. Thursday was garage setup and slinging tires with Tony and Graham, and getting a mini-workout in since it was my only travel and riding free day last week. Thursday night was "sort out Sav's Hawk" night, and it provided some amusement.

Friday (practice): Signed up for Penguin practice to shake down the bike and myself after the winter. NJMP was fun, but is a very different track and I wanted to regain the feel for the new fork and brake setup. Nothing spectacular, I realized too late my Qtsarz GPS lap timer was left on all winter, so the battery was stone dead. Felt the bike out, got some laps in and felt comfortable.

Friday night the crew started rolling in and I helped with some unloading the hung out. Great beginning to see the rest of the track family after a long winter.

Saturday (Lightweight Grand Prix): I ran first practice on my existing rubber, then switched to a fresh set for second practice and the races. No laptmes because my transponder number was on file incorrectly, and I didn't catch it at tech inspection. For LWGP, I was wearing a custom made shirt decorated by Annalisa Boucher, due to losing a drunken bet that I could beat Chuck and his Superbike SV in the final round last year during LWSB. I'm a good sport, so I went and grabbed my shirt, ripped the sleeves off, and rocked the shit out of it. Pictures are floating around, but I'm not gonna be the one to point them out to you. I gridded dead last in this race due to having zero Expert points in the class from 2012. I got a decent launch, but couldn't find a way to stick my bike into the pack going in T1 from the back and outside. Two of the TZ250 riders "battled" with me for the first lap, passing me only to be repassed by me under drive, since those bikes don't have any torque and couldn't find free track to open up. They both eventually got clear and checked out, going on to finish 2 and 6 places ahead of me. I ran an uneventful race, finishing 19 of 21 starters with a best lap of 1:23.8, at the end of the race.

Saturday evening was fun filled as always, even though I'm limiting myself to two adult beverages per night. As usual, RSP Racing kept the trophy ceremony lively, although our "GET ON THE BOX" routine is now part of LRRS norm, and doesn't require much input from us.

Sunday (Lightweight Superbike): I elected to skip first practice, as it was cold and I had a decent number of laps to this point. LWSB was a last minute addition for me, I wanted to feel out all three LW races to formulate a plan for the remained of the season. I was gridded towards the back of this race also, and again managed a decent start, managing to keep the back of lead pack in sight for the first lap or so. Eventually they began putting some pavement between us, and I had no one directly in front, but I could feel hot breath on the back of my neck. BJ Worsham (311) came around me, gave me a thumbs up up the hill, and eventually gapped me. Lap after lap, Ben Travisano (130) would pull up next to me at the end of the front straight on his Monster 696, and I'd shut the door on him braking into T1. I knew Ben had some HP on me, but since it was taking him almost the length of the front straight to catch up, I wasn't too worried about the race finish if I could keep him behind me. Drilling down towards my 2012 pace, my last lap was a 22.5...but it wasn't enough. Even tucked in tight, Ben managed to sneak 1 bike length ahead of me at the start finish. That was a bummer, but I ran a good race, and running a stock bike in a Superbike class means you're gonna deal with stuff like that sometimes.

Sunday (Lightweight Supersport): This is, in theory, my bike's most competitive class. It eliminates the bikes with motorwork. Of course, in the Expert classes at LRRS, all that really does is reduce the grid size; the guys in this class are still crazy fast. That showed almost immediately, as the top 6 finishers clicked off sub :23 outlaps. David Dayon (611) was behind me through T2, but got around and checked out up the hill to join that front pack. Once again, I could feel the heat behind me, so I knew I was leading the "second pack" of whoever wasn't running 20's during this race. This turned out to be my RSP Racing teammate Bill Coolahan (47) along with neighbor Adam Butler (820) and Eric Connolly (26). From every perspective except mine, it was apparently an exciting race to watch as Bill crept and stalked me looking for a way past. In the end I managed to hold him off, for an 8th place finish at the checkered. This race saw half 23's and half 22's, with a weekend best of 1:22.213 in the last lap. I'm happy with the pace and consistency, especially since reviewing the Qtstarz data gives me some clear input on how to get back to, and hopefully smash past, my 2012 PB of 21.0 in Round 2.

Overall, I had a good weekend on the track and a great weekend at the track, and I'm looking forward to Round 2 in May. As always, having my teammates, my track family, and so many friends there to share the weekend with me really makes this all worth it. Of course, thanks to all the great companies and organizations that support RSP Racing; Tony's Track Days, MTAG Pirelli, Dyno Solutions, Sportbike Track Gear, 434 Racer, Brunetto T Shirts, KNOX, GMD and Woodcraft. Also, Crossfit Wallingford, without which there is NO way I could have done three races, let alone done better on Sunday than Saturday; I'm typically a full second slower on the second race day. My recovery time is so much improved from last year that I could confidently have gone back out and raced again on Monday.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: RSP Racing EX #86 Round 1

It was a great time and it's only gonna get better going forward! I managed to see all your races this weekend. Sunday I was missing the last two laps cause I was getting ready for my races but it was great seeing you on and off the track. Thanks for all the help, the tires and the laughs. Most important thanks for keeping me around for awards, I had no idea it was gonna be that fun.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    but I could feel hot breath on the back of my neck.
    you sure it wasn't just smutty creeping on you?

haha such a great weekend! and i am so bummed i missed out on seeing you rock the "hand crafted" shirt on saturday, jeez. nice job on the races, looking forward to the next!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sav, good hanging with you, it def only gets better as the season goes. Award ceremony is a must, it's a blast(especially if you're drunk).

Jen, I assume Sav has told you about your mission?

PS- Smutty is creepy as fuck.

PS...never put 4 droplets of water on Kurtz's head. Ever. Unless you want to get wet.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

good job this weekend.. but there is work to do!

lets make another bet Mike... for your precious 1$ bill??

yes I have heard of my mission, ugh how has this been put on me?! don't you know where i'm from??? haha i've already been warned by jim and frenchy for the same requests before I even left the track

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    PS...never put 4 droplets of water on Kurtz's head. Ever. Unless you want to get wet.
    Escalation is a natural part of retribution. Consider that a life lesson there youngster.
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoulabuldog View Post
    good job this weekend.. but there is work to do!

lets make another bet Mike... for your precious 1$ bill??
    I'm listening...
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
    yes I have heard of my mission, ugh how has this been put on me?! don't you know where i'm from??? haha i've already been warned by jim and frenchy for the same requests before I even left the track
    Better get cracking!

Jen..add one for smutty too.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
    I don't know what mission was actually put on you, but I can assumed based on the three names already mentioned...so, me too

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

I had a lot of fun this weekend, you were a part of it, and we all raced motorcycles. See ya in a couple weeks, hopefully I can be on the inside of a few more of these jokes next time around!

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

group party at the ambulance next round lol

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    group party at the ambulance next round lol
    Only if you get one of these Sav...

Jen..add one for smutty too.
    Get in line!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    I don't know what mission was actually put on you, but I can assumed based on the three names already mentioned...so, me too
    Dude, you don't think I got your back? I included you in my original request to Jen via Sav.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Get in line!

Dude, you don't think I got your back? I included you in my original request to Jen via Sav.
    I don't have the same races as you bitch! I got my own line!

Yes he did! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Only if you get one of these Sav...
    Order me one NOW!

Order me one NOW!
    hey! lmao

Yes he did! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Order me one NOW!
    The girl, the pole, or both? !

We can make the pole out of parts I have lying around my garage.

Not so sure the same can be said of the girl.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I had a lot of fun this weekend, you were a part of it, and we all raced motorcycles. See ya in a couple weeks, hopefully I can be on the inside of a few more of these jokes next time around!
    That'd mean you'd have to stick around at night tough guy!

RSP Racing EX #86 Round 1-388978_4871897190333_1770203115_n-jpg

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

The fact that you're not 100% positive you can't on the second makes me want to send some cadaver dogs over to your place... creeEEEEEeepy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The fact that you're not 100% positive you can't on the second makes me want to send some cadaver dogs over to your place... creeEEEEEeepy!

RSP Racing EX #86 Round 1-weird-science-jpg