Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Savvas Kosmidis #508 - CMP LRRS Round 5 Race Report

Savvas Kosmidis #508 - CMP LRRS Round 5 Race Report

When things REALLY don’t go as planned…

I had an awesome last race weekend, smashing my personal best and getting really comfortable on the Kawasaki Superbike. I was full of motivation and positive energy, also blessed by the legend #46 Valentino Rossi while in Indianapolis, I was hoping to get into the 17s and some podiums. The universe however had other plans for me.

I left work Thursday at 530. Traffic was ridiculous and I still had a lot to do in order to make it to the track. The ambulance got fresh transmission fluid and bigger tranny cooler in order to get better at towing. Huge thank you to O’Malley’s truck & auto body in Charlton MA and specifically Mike there who is constantly going above and beyond to help. The place is awesome, does excellent work and they are very fair with their pricing. I still had to go there though to pick it up. My good friends Panos and Yiannis found the time to actually save me over an hour form my trip and go pick it up for me and have it wait for me at my house.

The Kawasaki was getting its new colors at TSS Graphics in Stow MA so that was another stop I had to do prior to New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I left my house at 8pm and headed over to TSS. As I was coming off the highway the brakes felt kinda weird. And as i pulled into the TSS parking lot I pretty much had no brakes. Flashlight and jumped under the ambulance quickly revealed rear passenger brake shoe leaking brake fluid. Not so awesome start to the weekend. Quick call to Mike and he informs me about a little trick. I run down the gas station and get brake fluid, the vice grips on the brake line thats leaking and good to go!!!

I have to say at this point that I am beyond impressed with the work TSS did. Doug is one of the most creative people I have ever met, he legit took a bunch of information i threw at him and he created the most beautiful bike I have ever owned. It matches exactly the message I wanted it to have. a very proud Greek-American race motorcycle.

Arrived at the speedway around midnight, where my teammates Chris and Tanya were waiting for me. within minutes they helped unload everything the new to me garage and cooked me some delicious dinner (love you guys). I knew I had a long day ahead of me so I check a few things on the bike and went to bed.

Friday:
    Practice day with Penguin School has helped me improve a lot lately. Eric Wood is a great instructor and has great understanding of mistakes people do while riding. What I really like about Eric is his ability to communicate information. Several times he has caught on to things that I didn’t even realize i was doing until he asked me about it. Spent the whole day practicing and learning. Very confident that I was ready to destroy my goal for the weekend went out of the last session of the day, where the bolt that was the rear brake lever in place just fell of my bike. I pulled in and started looking around for that bolt in order to fix the issue for saturday. Another issue I experience throughout the day was very soft feel on my brakes. So with some help from neighbors and friends I bled the brakes and we were good there. The kawi was in need of some fresh oil and brake pads so I took most of my friday night working on that while Chef Tanya made us another delicious dinner. My coach and friend Gino arrived Friday night at the track. He stopped by the garage and helped me figure some stuff out and checked a few things for me as well. Also throughout the day was I getting constant feedback and advice from my other coach and friend Bill Tanz. With fresh oil in place and brand new pads I just waiting for my friend to arrive early Saturday morning so I can pass tech and do some racing!

Saturday:
    I woke up and I could smell 17s and great racing. The weather was just beautiful. Panos arrived around 830 with the bolt and spare parts. We fixed the rear brake and off to tech I went. I got the pleasant surprise there to be invite to the Elite Lightweight Practice Group #6. It really was an honor and it felt great to share the track with the fastest of New England. I had to take it easy in practice to bed in the new brake pads plus I had the ASRA qualifying to really push. So I only went out for three laps. As I was coming in I noticed my name up on the board and 1:18.6 next to it. That felt awesome because it came so effortless and with minimal braking. I just knew that 17s would easily happen during the race but how low into them was I going to get.
    Time came for ASRA qualifying and I headed out. Turned a decent outlap and put my head down to see how fast I can go. Coming up the hill in T4 the bike caught to false neutrals from 2nd to 3rd gear, I just thought I didn’t press hard enough to get the gear properly and kept going. On that lap I got the pole position for my race, but I wanted more because there was plenty of time left. Next lap as I was entering turn 6 aka the Bowl I grabbed my downshift, let the clutch go and all hell broke lose. I heard a very destructive noise coming from underneath me and the rear wheel immediately stepped out to the point that it locked the bike side, I immediately pulled the clutch and shut the bike and lift my arm up high hoping nobody was coming hot behind me. Rolled the bike off the track and smoke is coming out of it. i am at the point that I just want to cry but then I realize it all happened in a very dangerous spot and I am still standing. Walk of shame back to the garage, with a quick stop to the officials to explain that the green stuff in my belly pan is Motul V300 oil which is green and NOT coolant. Taking the belly pan of quickly revealed the engine is blow and the crank/piston has gone through the cases. NOT awesome at all. I am in horrible mood and really not sure what to do, but while I am staring at the motor hoping it will fix itself my teammates take out my long loyal Suzuki SV650 and take the rain tyres off and replace them with Race DOTs so I don’t have to cancel my races. I haven’t ridden the SV on dry since the Race of Champions in October 2014 but I know the bike handles like a dream and is exceptionally set up by Bill Tanz and 6ZerO SpeedWerks. No practice, no warning and haven’t gone over the bike in a while, I decide to do what I have to do in order to get the points for the classes I am chasing.

Race #2 - GTL
    I was gridded in the second row, got a bad start since the SV has a completely different clutch than the SV and i went in T1 probably 15th. I gave it a lap or two to get used it without really pushing. The SV tips into the turn much quicker than the Kawasaki so several times I had to readjust my line and turn in points. I quickly figured it out and starting to push to test my luck. What I really love about the SV is that it is very forgiving to me. Several time I was hard on the bars or trail braking deeper than I should and all it did was shake a little bit underneath, kinda like a tap on the shoulder “hey dude, don’t do that, thats wrong”. So i started to pass some people, and made it all the way to 9th place in front of #584 and his R5. With a few minutes left and me totally exhausted he easily passed me into the front straight. I chased him down to catch him on the brakes in T1 but I tipped in too aggressively which caused me to adjust my line and ran wide. I never got another chance to stick a pass so I took my 10th place finish and a new Personal best lap on the SV : 1:19.009

10th Place - Best Lap 1:19.009

Race #7 - LightWeight Grand Prix
    I was gridded in second row on the right for this one. I got a much better start than GTL and went in T1 in 8th place. I put my head down and stuck with the front pack for 2 laps but then #49 Steven Heider, Dave Dayon and myself got stuck behind Ted Temple and his very powerful SV Superbike. We all tried several paces in various parts of the track only to get seriously out motored on the exits of the turns. Ted rides that bike very well and he was able to keep his position and us behind him. Great race and it showed me that the SV still has it in it to be competitive

10th Place - Best Lap 1:19.3

Saturday night ended with great steak dinner with great company, a hot shower and early bed time. Besides the misfortune of blowing up a motor and almost high siding myself to the moon it really was a great day. I rode the bike that I love and got decent results, I saw my coach race motorcycles again, and I made some great new friends.
    The Central Mass Powersports crew really is great and these guys have created a fantastic environment. The neighbors of Plaistow Powersports are also awesome people full of knowledge and always willing to help.

Sunday:
    Woke up in a much better mood, fully rested and hydrated. The forecast was giving us a lot of sun and heat, which means sticky tires but heat exhaustion as well. I kept pounding water hours before even getting on the track. Skipped Sunday practice (typical tradition) and hoped the front tire from Daytona had enough life to take me through my 4 races. At this point the SV and I had fallen in love all over again, and it was like nothing has changed more family and friends arrived as we got the first call for my first race, i didn’t have much time to welcome them, Helmet ON - World OFF.

Race #4 - LightWeight SuperBike
    I ws gridded in second row on the left. I got an amazing start and went into T1 right behind Peter Gaboriault #81, my happiness didn’t last long as I totally blew T2 and Seth Hahn and Scott Mullin went underneath me and Mr Doucette got me on the brakes in T3. A lap later Sam Greenwood #228 passed me in T6. I stayed with him for a while but i started to get very tired with a few laps left. I was getting heavy on the bars and as a result the bike was not steady in the turns. David Dayon passed me as well and Steve Heider followed shortly after to push me in the 9th place were I actually finished the race. Came back to the garage only to find out that not only I was riding the SV fast but I had a new Personal Best done on it!!!

9th Place - Best lap of 1:18.496 (new PB for now) and new PB Outlap: 1:22.272

Race #6 -SuperTwins
    with only 8 minutes or so to rest between LWSB and this race, I put my sweaty helmet back on and gave my teammate Chris Dove a hug and headed out with nothing more than hopes and dreams (lol). I was in a great mood though to have brought the SV in such fast times in the previous race. I was gridded in second row all the way left (worst starting position). I got a decent start went in T1 mid pack. As we were coming into the front straight the leader Dennis Levensque lost control of his Ducati 1098 (yes that is correct, Ducati 1098, I race a class or two up on this particular race) and crashed leaving his bike right in the middle of the track. It was a tough situation as we all headed in different directions to avoid him and the bike. Luckily nobody else went down and Dennis was up on his feet and was pushing the bike to the pits. Red flag and restart. This time I got a better start and went into T1 in second place. It was too long until Tim Hogan passed me and then Rick Doucette. I stuck with Rick for a few laps and as I was getting tired Dave Dayon Passed me and went immediately after Ricky. He was able to pass Rick as well, and I tried to chase them. I wasnt able to catch them but I kept them near until the end of the race.

5th Place - Best lap of 1:18.5

ASRA Thunderbike
    This is another race were I go against bigger bikes (much bigger bikes) yet I love it because it forces me to push harder in the turns to make up the lack of horsepower against those machines. also this race was 12 laps, 12 long hot sunny laps… I was not in the greatest mood because it was during this qualifying that the motor blew up on the kawasaki.
    I was gridded in the front row on the right. I got a terrible start, bouncing and wheeling all over the place, Tim Hogan had to put some serious effort to avoid hitting me and i went into T1 dead last. After a lap I was behind Keith Draghi and his Ducati 1100 Evo. I wasnt able to stick a pass right away and that gave the leaders a chance to pull away. By the time I went by Keith in T3 on the brakes the leaders were about 4 seconds ahead of me. I put my head down and focused on closing that gap. With 7 laps to go the red flag came up. A brake much needed for all of us since we were exhausted from the heat and also a second chance for me to use my strongest card against those bikes, my STARTS!
    My awesome friends and teammates showed up at the pregrid with towels, water and an umbrella to protect me from the sun.
    This time I was gridded on the front but all the way to right side. Got a fantastic start and went into T1 in first place! Stayed there for a full lap until Tim Hogan #44 and his Ducati 749 got me on the front straight. I stuck with Tim but all the distance I was covering in the infield he was getting back on the straight with not enough room for me to outbreak him in the turns. With two laps to go I made a major mistake out of T12 and that allowed Douglas Fogg #65 and his Buell 1200 (!) out motor me in front straight. I chased Doug very hard, getting next to him on every single turn on the brakes only for him to get on the gas and pull away from me. I got in front him coming on the front straight for the last time but I didnt stand a chance as he got on the gas and beat me by 100ft or so.
    I took my 3rd place and several laps in the 18s as well as a new PB!

3rd Place - Best Lap of 1:18.1 (NEW PERSONAL BEST)

Race #11 - Thunderbike
    I didn’t have much in me (or at least thats what I thought) for my last race of the weekend. I was gridded in second row on the right. I got an incredible start and went in T1 in second place right behind Scott Mullin. Seth Hahn didn’t take too long to show me that he is faster than me (he turned a 16.4 in that race!!!) and he scooped right by coming out T2. Rick Doucette followed couple turns later and finally on the front straight Tim Hogan got by me pushing me to 5th place. I put my head down and chased Tim. I tried to stick a pass in T3 and T11 several times but i just couldn’t make it stick. I eventually blew T3 which allowed Harlan Hildebrand and David Dayon to pass me but I was able to get them right back. With one lap to go I looked behind me on the front straight and both of them were RIGHT there, I put my head down and got on the brakes in T1 later than I ever have securing my position for the remaining of the lap and taking home another 5th place finish.

5th Place - Best Lap of 1:18.550

and that wrapped up my weekend. I took my time on the cool down lap and made sure i waive to every single corner worker and EMT staff who spent two very hot and humid days out there protecting us and keeping us safe. and God, did we keep them busy? I think there were over 20 red flags this weekend. I really appreciate all you guys do for us, and I am sure everyone who races and our families do. You guys ROCK! Also huge thank you to Tom Blanchette for sending out 2 big industrial fans on the pregrid to keep everyone cool for the weekend! much appreciated and respected.

Got a lot of people to thank and I really apologize if I forget everyone. All my sponsors of course, Central Mass Powersports, Alexander Academy, Butler Performance Machining, Jonathan Dixon from Advanced Traction and his incredible work on the Kawasaki, TSS Graphics for making the Ninja very beautiful (and patriotic), Bill Tansey and ZerO SpeedWerks, Scott Mullin from SVM, Gregg Spears, DNA High Performance Filters,Eric Wood from Woodcraft and Penguin, Pirelli Tires, GoPro.

The awesome friends and family I have. Gino and Pano, all my family <3 , the awesome dude from Plaistow Garage, Dave, Shawn, Eric, Rick. The BoMo dudes that are super cool and supportive, Jim, Scott, Brett, legit everyone around us that gave me a hug when the Kawasaki blew up and wished me best or even joked about it to make me laugh. We learned a lot this weekend I developed a lot as a racer and as a person. I usually let my emotions to get the best out of me, but I was able to block all negativity off and have a very productive weekend with very good results to allow to keep chasing my championships and of course a very special to me 3rd place finish in a national event series.

We win some we lose some, yes I wasnt expecting a blown motor 3/4 through the season and I wasnt expecting to jump back on the SV and almost make it into the 17s. Clear proof that Geometry and suspension are by far the most important thing in race (Coach Tansey ZerO has been preaching that to me ever since I met him). This whole incident may put Daytona and Race of Champions out of the picture for this year that makes me really sad because it is an even I was looking forward to. We will see what happens. For now the Kawasaki is with Scott Mullin and Souhegan Valley Motorsports for a tear down to see what happened with the motor and make plans about what we will build and do different going forward. I am in search of a first gen EX650 motor (06-08) currently. We will bounce back and come back stronger from this I have no doubt it.

The SV will be the racebike I will be attending the September round at Loudon Road Race series and the extra expenses of the Ambulance repairs and now the blown motor have taken New Jersey and Summit Point out of the picture for 2015. I will also would like to wish good luck to all the Manx GP competitors who start their adventure this Saturday at the Isle of Man. I WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR!

Huge thank you and tons of love to all of you who support and follow my racing. Know that i am not giving up any time soon and those set backs only increase my drive and desire to go faster and do better.

thank you for reading,
    Sav #508

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Savvas Kosmidis #508 - CMP LRRS Round 5 Race Report

Dude. That bike looks so sick!

Way to go on the 18s too man!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Way to go buddy, tough start to the weekend and you made the best of it!

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Can't wait to get lapped by that awesome looking bike!

How'd you get kicked out of the rsp garage? Too much nip?
    Grats on the times though, that's huge.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Can't wait to get lapped by that awesome looking bike!
    lol don't hold your breath on that one

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just put the bodywork on the SV... no one will know :p

Isaac LRRS/CCS #871 ECK Racing | Spears Enterprises | GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media
    Bike: SV650, Bride of Frankenstein

that wheelie start was key for me to steal a 1 lap lead! Wish I could have done more to play... good job this weekend in the heat.... it was rough.

Can CMP get the Kawi fixed for next round?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    For now the Kawasaki is with Scott Mullin and Souhegan Valley Motorsports for a tear down to see what happened with the motor and make plans about what we will build and do different going forward. I am in search of a first gen EX650 motor (06-08) currently.
    Why not CMP?

Also, you have a spare motor, in the 08. The motor you just grenaded is a stock bottom end with some head work, so they should be able to take the head off that motor and put it on the 08 motor in no time, if you don't wanna ride the bike with a completely stock motor.

We don't know yet the level of damage in the blown motor.
    And it's with Scott because I have been talking with Scott for a while about the motor I want built.
    There is no point putting a stock motor on the Kawasaki. That's what I have the SV for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by catahoulabuldog View Post
    that wheelie start was key for me to steal a 1 lap lead! Wish I could have done more to play... good job this weekend in the heat.... it was rough.

Can CMP get the Kawi fixed for next round?

I'm glad I was able to help you grab the lead lol

Yes CMP can throw in the stock motor in a few minutes but that's not what I'm trying to do right now.

Good job at round 5, Sav - welcome to CMP racing. Enjoyed having you and your people in the garage.

I'm all setup for round 6 whenever you can come up. Lil bbq action tonight, just me and Malcolm.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    We don't know yet the level of damage in the blown motor.
    And it's with Scott because I have been talking with Scott for a while about the motor I want built.
    There is no point putting a stock motor on the Kawasaki. That's what I have the SV for.

- - - Updated - - -
    I'm glad I was able to help you grab the lead lol

Yes CMP can throw in the stock motor in a few minutes but that's not what I'm trying to do right now.
    gotcha.... the old SV wins AGAIN!

Scott already told me the work I want done will not be completed by next round.
    And honestly I wouldn't expect it too. Scott is busy and Spears is busy and we will be using a lot of spears parts.
    There are actually a few things I want fixed on the bike. Small things here and there from lack of TLC over the years probably.
    Ideally all the work gets done prior to round 7 so I can at least plan to do Daytona or not.
    Knock on wood the old realiable Tansey Machine is bulletproof and should allow to get some points in the September round.
    Fingers crossed