Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I suck Apparently- LRRS R5 ECK #929

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Red face I suck Apparently- LRRS R5 ECK #929

WELL it’s been one year since I’ve been on the hallowed grounds of NHMS. Though I’ve been dealing with MUCH work stress I have not felt mentally capable of being able to separate the two worlds safely to commit hanging it out there on the track. I would not be able to live with myself if I happened to injure someone else because I was not fully committed to the ride. To that NO liquid treats. This was a pure focus weekend!

Goals for myself:
    Take it back to the basics.
    • Brake makers
    • Turn in points/ Quick turn in
    • Throttle application RP and application %
    • T6 downshift. The stock motor has been providing me some challenges (Over the years) so I need to concentrate on fully engaging the change and a later release
    • Nothing crazy. 22’s should be expected. 21 would be astonishing. 21’s would be insane.
    • What the hell’ I’ll throw in LWSB. Just to get a race in on Sunday

I arrive Friday evening and did not have a box of Hawk parts to piece together.  It was great to see everyone again. Over the year I have sporadically checked up on some report to know that a lot of people have stepped up their games. It was nice to talk with them about their success. Bed earlyish.

Sat: Roles around and I am excited to make first practice! I strap on the lap timer as I wanted to slowly roll in and see progression of what I was working.

P1. I roll out and AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This feels good. I’ve got a good focus about what to do and it is time to execute my plans. Not expecting a lot “let’s see what we’ve got”. 2nd full lap. 24’s. push the marks deeper and earlier. 3rd lap 23’s. I’m feeling good. I left plenty out there. Let’s push the marks deeper and earlier. 4th lap 22’s. Still I left plenty out there. Let’s push the marks deeper and earlier. 5th and final lap 21.5. I am astonished. Only 4 full laps and 2.5 seconds of my PB with the stock motor. I had not expected that considering I was just working on something as simple as just trying to hit my marks. Practice what I preach. IT WORKS!!!!!!!! I also noticed the rebound was kicking me up on the front and rear. I may have been out of the game for a year but I am not numb to what the bike is telling me. I need to control the front and the rear just a little bit and turn in 1/8 rebound on the front and 1 click on the rear rebound.

P2. Being pretty stoked with the 21.5 from the 1st session and knowing I left more out there. Let’s work on the slower sections. Small bike (40-45 HP) that’s all I’ve got. 1-2, 3-4, 9-10, 11-12. I roll out and team buddy Steve is in front of me. Let’s see if I can hang knowing all too well that he is faster than me. It is a far stretch for me to really keep up but lets give it a shot. I suck….I deviated from my game plan and focused more on Steve and was cooking things. Sorry Steve, I had to forget you for the remainder of the session. Back on track I am hitting my marks and working the slower sections. Carrying more entry speed, more trail breaking, sooner and more throttle applications. Everything feels good as well as the suspension adjustments. The rear feels better! Lap 3 I pit in and roll down hot pit and add another rebound click and off I go. 2 more laps and a 1:20.5. GTFO Hell. I just made my weekend. Only 1.5 out from my PB.

P-89 2nd out of 5 and a 1:22.111
    I’m pretty psyched about this race. The Stroker and BillyGoat to of the most sincere people I love. Well there is that and they race HAWKs. BJ W. and Scott L. is out there as well on the front row and if I can clear the front I may have a chance to be in a decent position for the rest of the race. I know I’ve brought a banana to a gunfight but let’s see if I can hang with them. I’m pretty good with starts to let’s DO THIS. Reds drop and this little bb is mostly past the first row before and the front is frigging pointed at 9 o’clock. Down boy!!!!!I know you want to go but don’t buck me of….. I ‘m pretty much next to Johnnie and he obviously just throttles on and lead us into T1. Frigging Johnnie looks back as we are just about to complete the first lap and waves by by as he unleashes the extra 30 hp he has over me. F-er. Let’s study him and let’s see where there is an opportunity. Oooooo T3-4 door opens up as I take a shallower line (Practiced) to lead up the hill. Then he powers on. Ooo, I see he is slow out of 10…. I see that I can roll up on him on the exit of 2. OHhh ANOTHER opportunity in 3-4. I beat him up the hill and pinch the left side a little more. Then he throttles past  into the bowl. Next lap, he gains probably 1+2 seconds as I missed the downshift in T1. I make up some good time in t3 again. Hey J are you reading this. Chip Chip away and I’m back on him by 9-10. Last Lap at 1a I notice he swung it wide and he is going to have a bad line out of t2. This is my opportunity in T3 to make a pass if and only if I can be somewhat in reach. I being a hard drive at 1A and I’ve got my momentum. My front tire is at his rear tire as we enter the t3. Sorry Johnnie. Not today! I take him before tip in to 3apex. I get my good drive and favor more the left side of the track and lead into T6. Hmmmm AM traffic in T9-10 bocks my rolling exit of t-10. Awe crap. Ricky, Seth roll past me entering t11 as we roll up on some more AM traffic. Crap I know they are going to spook them and which way are they going to go……. The hesitation for a split sec in focusing on the 12 exit and drive, Johnnie quickly snatched the T12 apex. NOooooooooo. No matter what, he would have just squirted past me once we got out of 12 to the line. What a fun race to be able to hang with him. Best lap……1:22.111 Hey johnnie next time you see me tapping my tail like on MOTO GP you follow me and we’ll go faster next time 

Eugene Berrio Jr today finished second in the P-89 Lights race at NHMS, part of the August 15th round of LRRS's 2015 championship.
    Berrio Jr rode his #929 On Track Media Honda Hawk GT, definitively finishing in second place, a position he held for the entire race. Holding second place from start to finish, Berrio Jr powered through the stripe 0.507 seconds adrift of John Linn and a comfortable 6.838 seconds in front of William Morey.
    Berrio Jr recorded a scorching timed lap of 1:22.111.

I'll have to finish the rest later but cliff notes for the rest.....

ULSBK 5th out of 12 1:20.182 Frigging 13 year old Alex Dumas. Boy can ride. And he might as well of been on a 600 once he got on the straights. Poof gone!!!!
    Eugene Berrio Jr today finished fifth in the Ultralight Superbike race at NHMS, part of the August 15th round of LRRS's 2015 championship.
    Berrio Jr piloted his #929 On Track Media Honda Hawk GT, thrillingly finishing in fifth place, a position he held for the entire race. In a nail-biting conclusion, Berrio Jr accelerated past the stripe 1.372 seconds behind John Linn and a razor-thin 0.215 seconds before Eric Shaw.
    Berrio Jr clocked a impressive timed lap of 1:20.182.

LW SBK 17 out of 24 1:20.987
    Eugene Berrio Jr today finished seventeenth in the LW Superbike race at NHMS, part of the August 15th round of LRRS's 2015 championship.
    Berrio Jr piloted his #929 On Track Media Honda Hawk, ultimately ending the final lap in seventeenth place, a position he held for the entire race. Holding seventeenth place from start to finish, Berrio Jr powered through the stripe 4.505 seconds behind Brad Erling and a close 2.812 seconds ahead of Keith Draghi.
    Berrio Jr clocked a excellent timed lap of 1:20.987.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Re: I suck Apparently- LRRS R5 ECK #929

Good to see you back out there Gino. Looking forward to riding with you this weekend at Thompson.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

NEXT TIME!!! good having you there Geno.

Go Gino Go!

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Nice job, dude.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Go Gino Go!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Good to see you buddy! And a 20.1 after all that time away.... awesome!

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Enormous amount of respect.
    That rear tire was TOAST. And you were drifting a 27 year old bike with 40 something hp

Haven't gotten to that one yet my little spoiler

I felt like Justin Timberlake/Jimmy Fallon...
    So Good, SO good.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

that canadian is fast. he was doing better lap times than me on my 600 at Summit (and probably VIR)

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Great to have you back at the track on a bike this weekend Gino!!! thanks for the support!

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

giving away probably 300# doesn't help and giving away 2 at the start!!!. more to come on that.... I suck!!! frigging 11 years and that is the first time I ever did that!!

Gino

For those interested.. I'll continue......

Race 9 ULSB. The one that is always try to excel at! add to it it is race 9 which is just after my previous race 7. That is less than 20 min from the previous race on a normal day...Saturday we saw shorter race schedule (6 laps) due to weather and some Legends racing extending beyond the allotted time. The races are shorten to 6 laps to try and fit in the remainder of the day. I'm all jacked up from racing with Johnnie. Knowing that 30 hp is a tough thing to giveaway at the beginning...... i need to smash the start to even be close to him for the race. I’m in the last grid position. 3rd row. This needs to be mistake free. I need to make this good. I’m ready, the red drop and...... no go..... fl_luck..... You can’t start a race in neutral idiot!! U SUCK!!!!!! This is the first time in 11 years that i have ever botched the start. I finally bang it in after the RPMs drop, which seems forever and get on with the chase. I peg the limiter in 3rd going into first to avoid the upshift/downshift and hammer thru 1 and make my first pass in t1 on the outside. Next is Scott L. and J-cav. Really Cav???? in the breaking zone. I get a good roll out of T3-t4 considering the low entry and "Is this Clarky?". "Can’t be, he kills this shit" as i pass him into T6. Things get settled in and everyone is rolling pretty well now. Crap I’ve now lost the element of surprise. Wait there is one more. I peg he exit of t10 and now on the left of Rick Breen going into T11. i get in between him and the entrance into T11 and hang onto it to the left apex and he is right there. I give it a squirt and I’m on the perfect line to T12 and the straightaway. 1 lap one done and there are 5 remaining and 4 people that I might be able to real in????? Alex, Andy, Eric and Johnnie. Having never raced Alex the 13 year I wanted to find out his strengths and weaknesses. This was going to take some time but would be worth the resonance for a good safe pass. Immediately I find that he is great on the brakes and has gobs of power on the straight. How can I make this happen??? My strengths remaining are the chicanes so that means T2 into T3 which I have 100% respect for what he was doing. This is going to be tough giving up probably HP and defiantly weight. Forget experience. He has plenty!!! What do I have left??? Traffic! When? What lap? Can it be done? I can see him chomping on the bit for Andy... but then Andy's HP reals in Eric Shaw on the straightaway. I know the rocket is going to roll past Eric quickly. We roll thru the lap and there is some traffic in T11 and freight train 4 riders long from 11 to 12 and i am lucky to be able to NOT get captured in the traffic. I'm still in the hunt! Alex rockets past Eric on the straight. How quickly can i get around Eric??? I'm on his tail in T1. It has to be T3. The drive out of T2 puts my front tire to the right of his rear tire. Have you ever wondered how loud of a thump a 450 4T sounds with your head next to a pipe? Just talk to me!!My ears are still thumping. I try the left of the entrance. He comes left. I go right just to give me the opportunity to capitalize on any mistakes. But have to settle in and work the low T3-T4 line and it puts me right on his tail. He knows I’m there. That's enough.... The group of us happen upon another AM in T11 and again we freight train past from 11-12. Phew! i made it again. Let’s do this.. Last Lap...Another lapper blocks the group except for Johnnie inT12 and this allows me to set up a drive and a draft on the front straight. The drag race ended up having to negotiate another lapper that allowed another pass. Eric went right to swoop around while i went SHALLOW left to take the shorter line. IT WORKED! It also put me in a great opportunity to work my chicane and onto Alex coming out of T2. Is this it????Side by side into T3 and he is going to take Andy on the inside as my plan is to take Andy on the outside but there is a plan "B"..... Alex slightly upsets Andy...Plan "B". Break harder and back across his stern and Drag race to T4. Let’s just say that I saw his front wheel 6" from the left side of my front tire in between my left arm and tank... it was tight!!!!!! I push it to the bowl and ultimately to the Finish line in 5th place. Oh you know that 2 second give away at the beginning and those 2 laps they took away from us.......could have should have.... Best lap of a 1:20.1 and i had a clear shot at two people. But you know what, this race although not meaning a lot for me meant a lot to me!

LSBK 5th out of 12 1:20.182 Frigging 13 year old Alex Dumas. That Boy can ride!!!!! And he might as well of been on a 600 once he got on the straights. Poof gone!!!!
    Eugene Berrio Jr today finished fifth in the Ultralight Superbike race at NHMS, part of the August 15th round of LRRS's 2015 championship.

Final race to come later A race that i had no part of being in i had the time of my life!. TBC

Berrio Jr piloted his #929 On Track Media Honda Hawk GT, thrillingly finishing in fifth place, a position he held for the entire race. In a nail-biting conclusion, Berrio Jr accelerated past the stripe 1.372 seconds behind John Linn and a razor-thin 0.215 seconds before Eric Shaw.
    Berrio Jr clocked a impressive timed lap of 1:20.182.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 08-19-15 at 06:48 AM.
    Gino

Quite possibly the highlight for my season to see you out there again. You are still the Hawk master in my book. Your racecraft always has a chance for the top of the box regardless of any disadvantages. I wish I had the chance to play a part in this race report but not too be. Great job getting right back into the fray despite the layoff and your other factors.

I would be careful showing John too much, that guy has definitely stepped up his game. I hope I get the chance to battle with you guys again, I miss that. I was planning to get to Thompson this coming weekend so we can all share some stories and lies

CCS #68
    2016 Husky FS450
    Huge thanks for all the support from MotoSport

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Good to see you back out there Gino. Looking forward to riding with you this weekend at Thompson.
    i agree. i need some Gino time.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports