Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

03-05 r6 wheels, rotors, rain tires

03-05 r6 wheels, rotors, rain tires

I am looking to buy a set of wheels, rotors, and rain tires for my 04 r6. These will be used for rainy track days at Loudon. Hopefully they will never have to be used, but that is probably wishful thinking. Ha Ha. Let me know what you have available.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 03-05 r6 wheels, rotors, rain tires

I'm not certain, but I think the 05R6 came with different rotors on the front that will not work with the 03-04R6 calipers. However, the bolt pattern for the rotors (I believe) is the same, so you could swap rotors. Anyway, you might want to check compatibility with the 05.

2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I'm not certain, but I think the 05R6 came with different rotors on the front that will not work with the 03-04R6 calipers. However, the bolt pattern for the rotors (I believe) is the same, so you could swap rotors. Anyway, you might want to check compatibility with the 05.
    I think you are right. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder! I think the R6S are the same as the 03 04 rotors but I am not sure if it is all of the r6s's or only certain years.

Quote Originally Posted by smarblewnec View Post
    I think you are right. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder! I think the R6S are the same as the 03 04 rotors but I am not sure if it is all of the r6s's or only certain years.
    Yea Wookie hit it spot on. The 03/04 and all the R6S versions run standard forks/brakes and the same rotors. The 05 was the only one with USD forks and radials.

Since I don't race... only track days. Maybe I will upgrade to the 2005 usd forks and radials. Of course that would mean a whole new front end. Anyone have a rear-ended r6 that wants to sell the front?

If I remember right (I may be wrong on this, GMD could answer it better) but the regular forks on the 03-04 and R6S aren't as rigid as the USD forks on the 05. Which also means they have a slightly more flexible frame on the 03/04 than the 05... so switching to an 05 front end on a frame made to be used with regular forks could result in some ridiculous suspension issues.

I looked into the same thing when I first started racing on an 06 R6S.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    If I remember right (I may be wrong on this, GMD could answer it better) but the regular forks on the 03-04 and R6S aren't as rigid as the USD forks on the 05. Which also means they have a slightly more flexible frame on the 03/04 than the 05... so switching to an 05 front end on a frame made to be used with regular forks could result in some ridiculous suspension issues.

I looked into the same thing when I first started racing on an 06 R6S.
    Wow, I should have you on retainer for everytime I think of modifying my bike... Ha Ha. Thanks for the info. In that case I am back to just looking for rain tires, wheels and rotors. I'll probalby just put something together on ebay.

Right now I am running Michelin Pilot Pure tires but have never had a rain day. I am guessing it would be a lot more fun if I get a rainy track day to have a true rain set of wheels and tires. I'm doing all 5 BoMo days this year and am guessing it will rain during at least one of those days. Also, the Pilot Pure's are only 1 season old but have been in the freezing cold over the winter. Probably down to -10f or -20f. I know this can affect racing compounds but I am hoping because they are street tires they will not have lost much grip.

Thanks for the link. I was already talking to CEO about buying them, and I did.

Now I am only looking for wheels and rotors.