Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aerostich or similar

Aerostich or similar

If anyone is selling a used high quality street riding jacket or one piece (roughly 48s Aerostich size; 5'10 220#) I'm all ears. I already have a vanson leather one piece suit for track riding and a separate pair of leather track pants that can be used for street, but what I'm looking for here is street specific gear for riding short and long distance in all weather on street machines from speed triple upright to sv with clipons to rolling couch Road King. March to November.

I get it that the sizing is critical and I'm not a run of the mill shaped guy so chances of finding something used are kinda slim...IF I end up buying a new Aerostich 1 or 2 piece, which model should I get, and who should I deal with to get properly fitted? Should I consider other manufacturers? Any big reason I shouldn't go with two piece over 1 piece?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Aerostich or similar

I prefer the one piece, I had two piece separate textile jacket and pants, sold them when I got my Aerostich one piece. The convenience of the one piece is what won me over, although the two piece roadcrafter is almost as easy on and off. The one piece forces you to wear the pants, you can't use the "I'm just going in a short ride and only wear the jacket" excuse.

My Roadcrafter is a 46S if you wanted to try it on, I'm 5'8, 30" inseam, 190-210 lbs. I also have in my gear closet at the moment a Teiz powershell, Teiz Lombard, Olympia odyssey, and Olympia Avenger, if you wanted to compare a few brands/features.

Thanks Matt...how/where did you get fitted for the Aerostich and why do you have so many suits?

I did this a while ago Aerostich Sizing Tool
    They came back and said I would be a 46R with the legs shortened 3". I found a good deal on a previously owned but still with tags 46S so I tried it and it fit pretty well.

The Teiz Lombard is my wife's, but my brother also has one. The Avenger is a mesh/textile suit, I only wear it on the 90+ degree days because it's definitely not as protective. The powershell and the odyssey I got to compare to the Aerostich, to see if they improved on a couple of my nuances with the Aerostich, mainly the ventilation and the styling. They each have their pros and cons.

Edit: Check the ADVrider flea market, used roadcrafters pop up for sale pretty often. I'll keep an eye out.
    Double edit: here's one 48S Error | Adventure Rider

Last edited by MattR302; 03-29-17 at 01:34 PM.

Wow thanks! Sent them a message

Kinda bummed, found one for sale in advrider that was my size, a Roadcrafter two piece for 400 (grey so not too obnoxious)...seller said it was mine if the guy who was waffling didn't pay by the end of the day...but he did.

Lifer

Just order one up, full custom. Do it once and be done with it. I am reasonably confident that you will wear it enough to make the expense worthwhile. Get exactly what you want, not something close that happens to be available 2nd hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I get it that the sizing is critical and I'm not a run of the mill shaped guy so chances of finding something used are kinda slim...IF I end up buying a new Aerostich 1 or 2 piece, which model should I get, and who should I deal with to get properly fitted? Should I consider other manufacturers? Any big reason I shouldn't go with two piece over 1 piece?
    I'd do exactly what I did over again: 2-piece roadcrafter. Loaded with all the armor. Then have the pants modified.

2 vs 1 piece : I think there is very little downside in the 2-piece. The 2 zippers make the suit marginally harder to get on and off. Marginally at best. And the upside is the suit is way more flexible and possibly cheaper to buy because you can mix 'n match sizes in leu of more customization.

I'm an odd size; my inseam is shorter than my torso suggests. I wound up with a 48R jacket mated to a 48S pant that still needed 2" taken out of the thigh. I now have a suit that is the perfect length and fits my torso well, yet still has space for the biggest baddest wool sweater I own. I believe I would have had to modify the top and bottom of the suit had I gone with a 48S onesie. I believe the 48S jacket would not have fit my shoulders comfortably and the 48R pants would have been too long below and above the knee. So more expensive 2-piece, fewer modifications. YMMV, of course.

It goes without saying that the flexibility of being able to detach the pants and just use the jacket with jeans is super handy. It takes moments to zip/unzip the pants to/from the jacket. It's very easy.

Also they sell an "ellipse" adapter thing which I eventually bought as well. This zips in between the jacket and pants and changes the angle that the jacket and pants mate at. You can have something similar sewn into the 1-piece.. but I believe the zip in thing is way cheaper than that adapter. I use the adapter on sportier mounts (ie the SV) and take it out for long tours on the 'strom. Makes the suit even that much more flexible.

Okay, sizing. I found this to be a pain in the ass. Everyone says "just call them" and I did. But I expected a bit more hand-holding here. I'm not a clothes horse and could give a fuck about mens suit sizing. I don't even know what I don't know about sizing. I did their checklist and then called. Support by phone was not consistent from one call to the next and it left me underwhelmed. Basically it boiled down to them sending me a suit that was close, but in stock. Naturally I had to pay for this and the shipping. I tried it on, called them and we chatted about what felt good/bad while I sat on the bike in the garage. This part of the deal was okay. But they still weren't conclusive. "Oh yeah, you totally need a 48R" or whatever. Much more "well, what do you think?" vagueness. Maybe others are more in tune with their sizing and can help here. I also think others fit off-the-shelf stuff more readily than I. (See comments about torso/inseam.) So more YMMV. Unfortunately I don't see any way around this back and forth shipping. In the end I was happy I was ordering an off-the shelf jacket without alterations as I could at least return that. The pants were mine once altered though.

They do pop-ups at some events and in cities now and then. I guess they go to San Fran all the time and have a tent setup somewhere where you can get measured. Or you can go to the factory and get measured too. Supposedly they are better in person and can give you more feedback about what size/style/alterations would be best. They also used to charge a flat rate for all alterations.. no more. Now you pay PER alteration. Which blows.

Next, options. As said, I like the twosie. I think its the way to go. I ordered mine in grey with black wear patches. I think it looks okay. YMMV. The big thing I'd make sure you get is ALL OF THE ARMOR. Lots of debate on the quality of the armor. But I've crash tested mine and I think it works good. The suit comes with knee, elbow and shoulder armor. Add the hip armor, which is unfortunately an extra. But skip the dinky back pad they sell. Instead get the adapter sleeve they sell for putting the beefier back pad they sell for the Transit into the Roadcrafter. You can buy the Transit pad from them or buy the same damned thing for half the price from Revzilla. The pad is just a rebranded "SAS-TEC" back protector. Saves you like $50.

I had problems with the smaller zippers (pockets) breaking. I've broken two zippers now and they replaced the fist one no cost, no questions. I meant to send the pants in for repair etc this winter, but forgot. I low-sided in West Virginia in '15. Zero injury. Rode away. The suit is damaged but still functional. I was going to repair it mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Remember, it isn't as waterproof as they say. Mine leaks, especially in the crotch.

I still think it's worth it. I've used the everlovingpiss out of mine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

By the way, I think my suit would fit you well. If we ever cross paths you are naturally welcome to try it on.

Mind the funk!

Right about the time you posted this, I was halfway to their event in New Jersey, right across the river from Manhattan. Yeah, spur of the moment, drove almost three hours each way to the pop up, as they call it. The chances to see and try all the stuff and get fitted don't appear to happen all that often around here so I made the drive.

Didn't read your post till now, but it's funny, because I arrived at all the same conclusions, pretty much...even what suit to go with out of all the options. They recommended a 48s one piece with 2 inches out of the thighs or, if two piece, Size 50s jacket, and two inches out of the thigh on 48s pants. I think with both they recommended $180 tailoring to rotate the shoulder/sleeve seam.

I decided to hold off on ordering because i found a used 48s one piece for 350 shipped online. I'm gonna see how I like that one for now. After wearing the new stuff, it's awesome. Hopefully the used one is pretty good. Aerotech keeps a file with the fitter's notes from my test session. Excellent chance I'll be ordering some new stuff at some point, using that custom fit. The woman helping me was very helpful but didn't take one measurement, actually; it was all trying sizes and styles and sitting on some bikes they had there to see what didn't feel good as far as pinch points or whatever.

Don't discount used. Got my Tourmaster onesie off these here forums for $100 and have absolutely no regrets. Best piece of street gear I own hands down!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Sweet. I've heard they have their shtick down way better in person.

Surprised about the arm rotate thing. I find mine pretty comfortable as shipped. Although I do favor uprights like the ADV crap.

Yeah the main pressure in the suits was more or less a crease running across the front/top of the biceps while in a riding position on a naked sportbike

Lifer

Ars or clipons? I've not tried mine on a bike with clipons.

I shouldn't have even called it a sportbike...I was sitting in some retro triumph at the time with mx style bars...very much like the position on my speed triple...when I would imitate the position I'd be in with clipons, it would actually decrease the pressure a bit on the biceps.

Interesting about that pie shaped piece to add to the 2 piece suits to accommodate a more track like posture; I wasn't aware of that.

One thing I noticed while doing all of the test fitting was just how much flapping material I've been riding with my whole life on my arms and torso...never had a street jacket or suit that really hugged my body everywhere. That should be nice for decreasing wind resistance and buffeting

Lifer

Now you have me wondering, have I ridden the 'stich on the SV since I went all track bike on it and installed woodcraft rearsets?! Can't remember. Bike still has bars though.

The ellipse also helps with the back pad. I don't think the roadcrafter was designed with any back protection in mind. The beauty of the armor setup I recommended is that it is all velcro'ed into the suit. It all comes on and off with the suit. No 59284 separate articles to take off when you get to the office.

It's also entirely possible that I just like a looser jacket than others. I always size street gear to fit at least one heavy layer on underneath. In the summer riding in shorts and a T under the suit I swim a little. It still protects. (Exhibit A: My crash in WV.)

Anyway. I dig mine. Think you're going to dig yours too.

Got the suit in the mail today. Took it for a rip on both the Road King and the speed triple. Pretty psyched, seems to actually fit better than all the off the rack ones at the pop up event! Tag says custom, wouldn't be surprised if the prior owner had similar tailoring as I needed. It's in way better shape than I expected; it's all red and neither side is faded at all. It appears the only armor is thick padding in the knees and elbow areas, longish pads to cover shin and forearm too, but it doesn't feel like there is any hard armor anywhere...will have to look into it a little more as far as what's in there compared to what's available.

Anyway, not looking for a suit anymore. Thanks to nhbubba for advice and to Matt for pointing me to advrider; probably saved me a thousand bucks!

Lifer

Roadcrafters are incredibly stiff off the shelf; they require break in. They get much more comfortable with time.

Sounds like the armor in yours may be older armor. May want to consider upgrading. IIRC the new stuff may slip right in replacing the old. The new armor has a light plastic skin on the outside of the armor pad. Yes, the armor is obscenely oversized compared to the stuff you see in road-race leathers, etc. I believe this is to counteract the armor-float effect seen with armor in most textile suits. Even if the armor floats out of place somewhat, you're still protected.

I think you can call Aerostich and give them the suit S/N or something and get a list of alterations, repairs, etc. If you were to really care. May be good to know if you ever order a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Roadcrafters are incredibly stiff off the shelf; they require break in. They get much more comfortable with time.

Sounds like the armor in yours may be older armor. May want to consider upgrading....

I think you can call Aerostich and give them the suit S/N or something and get a list of alterations, repairs, etc. If you were to really care. May be good to know if you ever order a replacement.
    Thanks, I didn't know this. I will be calling them. The lady I spoke to last week showed me how you can find the build date inside the left chest pocket on many suits but mine doesn't have a date there anymore. According to forums, the writing washes away. The padding in my suit feels like some kind of memory foam. Slowly regains its shape after being compressed.

I think that means it's an old(er) suit.

I could totally be mistaken though, if it's still red. The older ones I thought had a rep for becomeing the pink power ranger suit with just a few UV rays.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Nice! Glad it fits you well. I don't think they serialize the suits, usually they just write "+2 in above knee"or whatever inside the chest pocket. I think on Aerostich's website they show test results showing their soft armor compared to traditional hard armor. I added an old A* back protector insert to mine with some adhesive-backed velcro, and surprisingly it hasn't turned into a gooey mess on hot summer days.

Lifer

Yeah, looks like I'm wrong. I was sure they had S/N's.. now I can't find it anywhere. Guess not.
    Build date and size info is written in sharpie on the inside of the breast pocket on the coat, knee pocket on the pants. Writing in the pants is illegible on mine already.

Maybe they track by buyer or something. Guy at work had a 10 year old suit. Called them up and just asked for a new suit to the same specs.. couple weeks later he had a brand new, crispy, non-faded suit cut exactly like his old one. No measurements taken or exchanged.

I've got some stuff that would fit.
    First Gear TPG jacket and Pants and/or Tourmaster Jacket
    Located in Plaistow NH

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

I've had a 6 or so combinations of suits and jackets. And I do a fair amount of multi day tours so I'm in weather pretty often. My last purchase - 6 years ago? - was the Aerostich Transit Suit. I wish it had been my first cus it would have been my last.

I prefer the two piece. I never really got the hang of a quick in and out of my one piece and I like being able to shed the jacket easily for lunch or whatever.

I don't think they make the Transit Suit anymore...pity because it is the only truly waterproof suit Ive tried/owned. I don't think they make the Transit Suit anymore but there appears to be some availability for the Transit Suit 2.

Seriously...as NHBuba says, don't be like me with a half dozen suits because you wanted to save money...!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I already bought a used one piece, so I'm all set. Will probably be getting a new two piece at some point but for now I turned up the safety and comfort factor for $350 and it seems to be in great shape and fits very well. All in all, given that I don't really give two shits how I look in it (like I'm wearing Santa clause's snowmobile suit haha) mission accomplished!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

When you're ready for the 2 piece look me up, sold the bike so it's just sitting.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast