Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AK47

AK47

Im in the market for a new gun and to also upset my girl. Im learning towards an AK47. I hear good things about Romanian, Hungarian and Russian made AK's. I would like to get something soon. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance for pick up. Please PM me if you have or know someone selling an AK.
    I want to stay around the $500.00 range.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: AK47

For $500.00 you are only buying a Romanian AK. They are under $500, usually in the $395 range everywhere but Mass where they tend to run a bit higher.

Russian and Chinese AK's are much higher. The last Chinese one I saw was $800 and I wasn't paying that for it. It still sold within 2 weeks. That was 2 or 3 years ago.

I have a Romanian WASR10 and have never had an issue with it. I'd buy another one. The are built a little cheaper than most of the others, but I have never heard anybody say theirs had problems.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

I have a Romanian wasr10. They are known to have some common problems such as a canted front sight, bad triggers, and wobbly mags. Just go somewhere that has a few in stock and pick the one that shows none of these problems. I picked mine up at the Springfield gun show last year, just wait until the last day and went with cash. You can usually get some good deals that way.

"When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

The only problem I have is in my area of Vermont I only know of one gun store that has any AK's. Last weekend I went to take a look. they only had 2 in stock and seemed to be pretty over priced from what I've read online. I've been thinking about ordering one online and just having it shipped to an ffl dealer. Anyone ever done this?

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't you just have it shopped to you? I have shipped a gun and I'm not even a us citizen.

On 2 wheels since 1970 Vintage Biker's Avatar

How about a DIY AK?

I built both of these in 2005. They started out as plain-Jane
    Saigas (Russian-made). One was a .308 and the other a .223.

paging LXPONY.......

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't you just have it shopped to you? I have shipped a gun and I'm not even a us citizen.
    You can't buy a gun from a dealer and have it shipped to you, (center/rimfire) my advice would be to call around as AK's are still running at inflated rates. Let me guess the dealer you called is the only ffl within 50+ miles so thinks it's ok to pork customers. Call manchester firing line, I know it's nh but their prices are pretty fair and always seem to be under their competitors to get a feel for what the market is. Oh and you didn't mention if you wanted a folder or not and have you thought about an AK-74?

Last edited by G21forme; 10-25-11 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    You can't buy a gun from a dealer and have it shipped to you
    This is true, without an FFL. Not that it pertains to AKs but you could get a type 3 FFL (Curio and Relic) and have firearms shipped to your door. Mostly surplus stuff at pretty good discounts.

07 S4RS

Take into account the cost to ship and the transfer fee and you will probably be in the ballpark of your local dealer anyways. What AK's were they selling and what was the price? I would drive to another dealer somewhere and see what they have. Ok maybe I'd call and see if they had an AK in stock before I drove. Me I'd drive anyways because I'm never looking for anything specific.

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

That too, you can try to buy one online and have it shipped to an ffl bust most will not do this if it's an item they could get for you from their own distributors.

Also, you could check out www.northeastshooters.com

They have a classifieds section as well as a large list of dealers and reviews.

07 S4RS

Siaga's are the only Russian AK's available. Just like Vintage Biker did, if you want them to look like a real AK-47 you have to acquire those parts and build them that way if you go the Siaga route. No Russians AK's were ever imported to the US. AK's that are of similar quality to original Russian ones are Chinese, Egyptian, and Polish. Most of those are milled and not stamped and usually run around $700-$1000. You can search online and find a AK and have it shipped to your local FFL (most likely a gun dealership) and it will still be Mass compliant since AK's do not have flash suppressors or a bayonet lug per say.

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    paging LXPONY.......
    LOL... Here I am... I am the resident expert on AK47s and AK74s...

PM me if you have any questions or want advice on where to find decent AK47s in MA

Here is one of my favorites- SLR105r converted over by my man Chris Butler from AKUSA...

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Siaga's are the only Russian AK's available. AK's that are of similar quality to original Russian ones are Chinese, Egyptian, and Polish. Most of those are milled and not stamped and usually run around $700-$1000. You can search online and find a AK and have it shipped to your local FFL (most likely a gun dealership) and it will still be Mass compliant since AK's do not have flash suppressors or a bayonet lug per say.

You have some incorrect info here but will just say this, if you want as close to Russian AK as possible, your best bet is to by an Egyptian or Bulgarian AK47/74 as they were all built with Russian tooling. I have 3 SLR105s and they are dead-original to Combloc Russian Spetsnaz guns still used today in Chechnya.

Hey Adnan....I mean LXPONY...Is that the mag I dropped..I mean fell on my foot?....excellent AK's you have...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post

Hey Adnan....I mean LXPONY...Is that the mag I dropped..I mean fell on my foot?....excellent AK's you have...
    That was my AR15 dumbass! Luckly I think it did more damage to your foot then to the mag!

Thanks guys I ended up buying a wasr10 yesterday afternoon. I checked for the wobbly clip and and the front sit learn both weren't bad. I picked it up for 464 with 2 30round clips and 1 40round. plus 2 boxes of ammo.

I want this so bad

It's magazine not a clip, and congrats.

I had to file two small nubs on my WASR just inside the mag well so I could use my 75 and 100 round drums. Mine has run flawlessly. What ammo did you get? You need to be careful because there is a bunch of corrosive 7.62X39 ammo out right now. It is Yugoslavian. It's not bad ammo just clean your rifle and barrel after you are done shooting with hot water then whatever cleaning stuff you like. We had some at our club for our open house and I didn't clean my rifle for 2 days. I got it just as it started to corrode the muzzle brake and gas port.

I went the Saiga Russian route. Mine was manufactured at the Izhmash plant which supplies the Russian Military with their arms. Imported by Arsenal Inc.

It's probably one of the highest quality AR's you can buy (not the best but definately up there) but you're gonna pay for it.

Last edited by Billy; 10-26-11 at 03:14 PM.

I know I'm going to piss off the AK nuts but I changed all the furniture out to more modern "tactical" furniture. I'll have to snap a photo of it when I get home.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Chinese

Before the wood furniture.

Last edited by PinHead; 10-26-11 at 05:26 PM.
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I know I'm going to piss off the AK nuts but I changed all the furniture out to more modern "tactical" furniture. I'll have to snap a photo of it when I get home.
    Meh, I had 2 ak's in the past one with modern furniture and one bone stock. It's your rifle do what you want with it but put plastic on a mosin nagant and I will hunt you down like a dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast