Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wanted: Bird cage

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Wanted: Bird cage

Far fetch I know...I bought a cage for my parakeets (I have two) but I find it too small. I want for them to have lots of room to move around. More room to put more toys, ladders, etc. for them as well.

It should be a cage safe for parakeets...meaning the spacing between bars need to be the smaller ones, not the big spacing like a parrot cage where a parakeet could get seriously injured sticking their head in-between.

Let me know if any of you have this...

EDIT: Didn't even notice there was a "wanted" section on here...admins feel free to move?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MissTwisties; 06-24-10 at 06:42 PM.
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

Re: Wanted: Bird cage

7 parakeets, 1 cockatiel here so I thought I would offer a few tips.

I frequently see (and have purchased several) bird cages for pennies on the dollar out on the Saturday morning yard sale circuit. I keep these for various rescue missions, vet trips, etc. You could possibly find a similar deal with a little legwork. However, it seems that most people buy the cheapest and smallest cages they can, so most of these cages are garbage. I did pick up a decent Hoei cage this way, though (Japanese brand, good quality).

Currently my 7 parakeets reside in a large cage I purchased from an outfit called "birdcages.com". This is exactly the cage I have:

http://www.birdcages.com/bird-cages/...flightcage.cfm

This cage is pretty fricken huge. They have lots of other cage sizes there. While mine is designed for slightly larger birds, I have never had any issues and I have never noticed my parakeets to attempt to do anything like stick their head(s) between the bars. I actually don't think it would be possible unless you had a really psychotic parakeet that also had access to a lubricant. Parakeets in general seem to enjoy being in their cage - at least mine do. They have no interest whatsoever in getting out. Fact is many/most of the toys you put in the cage are potentially much more dangerous than the cage itself.

This cage is a bargain for the price; the stuff you see in pet stores is ridiculously overpriced.

Last edited by mojobreakfast; 06-25-10 at 01:33 PM.
    no bikes currently

Probably needs some cleaning but would this work?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Mojobreakfast....thank you for your post. I found a cage the same day I posted this, dimensions are 22 x 18 x 18 inches. Pretty good size cage compared to what I had before. I was able to put cute toys in it but I have yet to see the birds climb the ladder or play with any of the stuff I put in there.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."