Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

box to ship mountain bike

box to ship mountain bike

anyone got a big boxing laying around near Westborough, MA?

my parents want to empty out their shed...and I'm going to ship a mountain bike to CA

I figure I'd check here before asking local bicycle shops...or even a box for a LCD TV might work

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: box to ship mountain bike

When i worked at a bike shop we would give the box to anyone who wanted it. we would also package a bike for like 40 bucks, which is a pretty good deal for piece of mind. there are some useful packaging parts that new bikes come with that are good to have as well. like a piece that keeps the forks from bending because the front wheel is off. again they should be free since they are just going to throw it away anyways if they are going to charge you for the box just go out the the dumpster and there is most likely a box out there. some asshole shops charge for everything. a mom and pop bike shop is more likely to just give it for free.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

hmm...I didn't know that, thanks!

I checked with Landry's in Westborough, and they charge $55 to pack and $10 for the box...bicycle barn is closed, but I'll call them too...other shops are a little far

I can get you one in Chelmsford.

its been a few years since i worked for a shop for 55 might be a fair price. 10 bucks for a box that was going into the trash is ridiculous. i can guarantee they don't reuse their boxes unless they do a ton of internet sales of used bikes. keep in mind it will be an additional at least 50 bucks to ship it.

not sure where you are but, check with Gear Works in Leominster. great shop. think they only charged me ~$40. dropped it off and away it went to the new owner.

i've bought a few bikes from them as well. always leave happy.

EDIT: duh, Westborough.

Last edited by typeone; 01-23-13 at 12:51 PM.
    Beta 200RR

thanks Clinton! I stopped by Landry's, and they didn't have one...they told me I'd have to go to Natick and it would still be ten bucks.

I tried the bicycle barn in Westborough (10 mins up route 9), and he gave me one for free!

the bike has clip less pedals, and I wanted the standard ones anyways, so I bought some standard pedals from him for $12

he said: drop the front wheel, handlebars, and seat, tape it up, and I'm good to go. No need to remove the rear wheel!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-25-13 at 03:28 PM.

via priority mail: not possible (based on size)
    via USPS parcel post: $104
    via Fedex: $81
    **via Fedex account dropped to $61 (as I understand it, the more you ship on your account, the cheaper it is)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-27-13 at 12:01 AM.

If it would work for you, check grayhound. You'd drop the box at a local depot and then pick up at the local depot in Ca. It may take a little longer but it could be much cheaper.

good tip!

I researched it before when I moved out to CA and IIRC, it was also about $60-$80...but it's a good size box