Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Car trailer to rent

Car trailer to rent

I'm kinda out on my ass here but would like to know if there is a car trailer I could rent from someone, be it here or elsewhere I couldn't care less.

Round trip is 600 miles.

Payload is roughly 5k lbs.

Width of vehicle is in the neighborhood of 80".

I have extensive tow experience and am covered for trailer incidents.

Looking to have something secured by this weekend in order to take the trip early Sunday morning.

Compensation is a given, it's just a matter of finding a happy place for both of us.

No U-Haul.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 10-03-16 at 05:40 PM. Reason: 80"

Re: Car trailer to rent

I don't loan out my trailers but, in the odd coincidence that it fits the bill, I am traveling from RI to Bangor, ME this weekend. I'll be going up empty (19' equipment trailer), coming back with a vehicle. If you need to haul something north, it could line up.

I know you said no U-Haul. But they really aren't bad at all. I use them for swapping cars at work all the time. As we don't have the space to keep on onsite. plus the trailer already has tire straps.

For $58/day you really cant beat it. Biggest thing I have put on one has been a 2016 RX350 that weighs about 4,300.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car trailer to rent-13246348_10100402398098206_7353923482526403338_o-jpg  

Just curious why no uhaul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Low confidence in their product and absolutely not a consideration on a trip of this distance.

Penske has nice trailers. And I towed a Uhaul all the way from Florida with no issues but I was picky on which trailer I hooked up to. They wanted to hook me up to some old junk but I demanded the best trailer they had.

Jeff

Have you considered a front wheel drive sedan with snow tires?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    ...but I was picky on which trailer I hooked up to. They wanted to hook me up to some old junk but I demanded the best trailer they had.
    Exactly my point. I've no desire to drive somewhere just to end up haggling on quality of product.

Unless someone is very generous, I think you might be stuck with UHaul...at least I was when I made a similar post a few years ago on here. Since I waited too long to reserve, I got stuck with one of their older trailers which wasn't rated for the load I put on it (4600lbs) but they still gave it to me. You get it for 24hrs so I drove down to Long Island the night before and back to Boston the next day. It actually worked out great -- I had no issues round trip, about 500miles.

At the time, I couldn't find any other place to rent a car trailer. Penske wont even let you rent their car trailers unless you rent their truck.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Paul, what's your tow vehicle?

My rig may fit the bill, it's 3,800 lbs empty though so you're looking at nearly 9,000 lbs. to tow.

CCS/LRRS #83

how far if you don't mind me asking. I did east haven ct to new bern NC to turn and burn right back in august. just under 1,400 miles in 30 hours.

Although I would make sure you get one of the newer silver trailers. the orange ones are the old beaters.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Unless someone is very generous, I think you might be stuck with UHaul...at least I was when I made a similar post a few years ago on here. Since I waited too long to reserve, I got stuck with one of their older trailers which wasn't rated for the load I put on it (4600lbs) but they still gave it to me. You get it for 24hrs so I drove down to Long Island the night before and back to Boston the next day. It actually worked out great -- I had no issues round trip, about 500miles.

At the time, I couldn't find any other place to rent a car trailer. Penske wont even let you rent their car trailers unless you rent their truck.

Yeah they suck dick. I went through so much shit with them trying to get a trailer. I'm on the phone explain that I am towing with a BRAND new full-size 3/4 ton truck and would not let me rent without using their freight truck...

Thanks, Scottie. Trip's been cancelled. Let the great trailer debate begin!

As far as me and U-Haul, having a wheel fall the van off at 3am in I95 north in PA was hugely inconvenient at the time. That situation sealed the deal.

Yea, uHaul left me and some friend stranded on the side of a highway once. The transmission went out on the truck and we had to wait for hours for them to come out to us. Their local trucks suck.

I've had better luck with their trailers though.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

every trailer I've used from them, I have immediately taken it into my service dept, to check lugnuts and tire pressure before I even loaded a car. 6 trips later I'm still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    every trailer I've used from them, I have immediately taken it into my service dept, to check lugnuts and tire pressure before I even loaded a car. 6 trips later I'm still going strong
    How many issues has service found?

2012 Tiger 800 XC

UHaul vehicles are garbage and I would try any avenue to not rent anything with an engine from them but, I've found their trailers to be pretty decent. The axles they use are way overkill for the suggested loads and overall construction is much better than most typical trailers of similar usage. If they sold their trailers on the open market, i would probably buy one cause they can take quite the beating. That being said, they do get abused and maintained by in my experience idiots. Its worth walking around to verify everything is intact but tha's no different than I do before a far haul with my own which are meticulously maintained.

nothing that was super alarming.
    Worst thing was that a tire was less than 5 psi low.

but I have noticed at least in southern CT, the bigger trailers are hard to find, so they aren't just sitting at a lot growing weeds, so as these things go in and out of stores they are being inspected more. After renting so many I found a guy up the shore that always keeps a mint one on hand. So I've got no problem getting it from him.

Also I WISH I could buy one of those trailers.

Lug nuts weren't this issue during my trip. The driver's front wheel bearing had failed at some point earlier on but the vehicle was already making so much road noise that neither of us heard the thing grinding into oblivion. I'm happy no other vehicle was involved when that wheel disconnected from the van and started making its own way north.