Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diesel pickup, <$8000

Diesel pickup, <$8000

Pick-em-up truck. Diesel, extended or king cab, 8 foot bed. VG condition (no rust (or extraordinarily minimal), no major dents, etc). <300k miles. Well maintained (i.e. doesn't look like a shitbox and/or needs a ton of work...would prefer no work, but beggars can't be choosers). Would prefer not a "work truck," but I can always get a new grille. $6k or less for now, and within 3 hrs.

92-96 Ford F-x50 [no red interior!] or 04-up Most preferred
    97-03 Ford F-x50 considered, but not enamored with the body
    88-up Chevy anything
    98-up Dodge anything

Not interested in anything std cab or short box.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Re: Diesel pickup, <$8000

Good luck!!! Diesel's certainly are not cheap! I'm pissed every time I see a gasser of the same year as my duramax going for half the price Look out west if you don't want rust, might pay more to ship but cleaner on the long run. And if you do find one MINT make sure to get the frame and under body coated, not sure how bad salt is in CT but in NH its terrible!! One winter will eat your chrome!!

We did the math at work. Unless you are driving more than 30-40,000 miles per year or towing a heavy trailer, a diesel costs more to own.

But hey, motorcycles cost more as well - but some people like them.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-01-13 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We did the math at work. Unless you are driving more than 30-40,000 miles per year, a diesel costs more to own. But hey, motorcycles cost more as well - but some people like them.
    Diesels sound better, have more power, get better fuel economy, and tow better than a gas job. Id have a really hard time owning a gas tow vehicle now. So much better.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I can ask the guy who bought mine if he's ready to sell?

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Diesels sound better, have more power, get better fuel economy, and tow better than a gas job. Id have a really hard time owning a gas tow vehicle now. So much better.
    All true. Diesels also have better resale value and have appreciable resale value with over 150,000 miles, while most gas trucks do not.

Diesels also cost substantially more to buy, substantially more to maintain, and diesel fuel costs more in the US so the mpg benefit is muted.

We drive our trucks 15-20,000 miles per year. So we added up all the costs of ownership of diesel versus gas cargo vans. And what it boils down to is if you are not regularly towing a heavy trailer or driving over about 30,000 miles per year, the diesel versions cost more. Which is why you see big fleets of gas vans, pickup trucks etc.

If you prefer diesels, knock yourself out. I operated a few in my day. This is one of the last diesel tanks the US Army fielded: the M60A3 RISE PASSIVE TTS. They had a 1790 cubic inch air-cooled twi turbocharged V12. Around 1500 ft lbs of torque.

Attachment 34847

I bought this for 7200. Without the camper. I had to search craigslist everyday for nearly a month. I would search all of Mass, Vermont, NH, Me, Northern CT, and Albany everyday. I would open a ad that I wasn't interested in and use it as a marker so I would not have to look over stuff I already searched. I llooked at a bunch before I found what I wanted. I found it after a long search. 83k miles, original owner, garaged and spent winters in FL. 2 wheel drive. 7.3. The only higher cost so far is oil changes.
    The camper was the same deal. Search search search. I bought it and it was used one weekend. I paid 5200. The couple who bought it paid 10,200. Traded it in and I bought it from the dealer. I told him I don't want a warrenty and I will mount it. Just give the lowball price.
    The point I am trying to make is nice stuff is out there. You gotta be willing to search search search, travel travel travel, And not get fustrated. Keep searching. Your dream truck is out there nd its gonna be a great deal. Right now I am searching for a older unused two stroke dirtbike. I have found some in Indiana, and Pennsylvania, and NY. I just missed a 03 KTM that still had the nipples on the original tires. Guy bought the bike new and had thge dealer installed 3K worth of stuff back then. So the bike came with all the original stuff too. Everything still new. He never rode it except once down the street.
    Get searching and be willing to travel.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

This is definitely true. I probably would have grabbed the 3.0 liter turbo diesel Jeep GC, if one had been available at the time I bought mine.

It has 2/3 the hp of the Hemi, has 1.5 times the torque and gets better fuel economy than the Pentastar V6. Can't beat that for a tow vehicle.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    All true. Diesels also have better resale value and have appreciable resale value with over 150,000 miles, while most gas trucks do not.

Diesels also cost substantially more to buy, substantially more to maintain, and diesel fuel costs more in the US so the mpg benefit is muted.

We drive our trucks 15-20,000 miles per year. So we added up all the costs of ownership of diesel versus gas cargo vans. And what it boils down to is if you are not regularly towing a heavy trailer or driving over about 30,000 miles per year, the diesel versions cost more. Which is why you see big fleets of gas vans, pickup trucks etc.

If you prefer diesels, knock yourself out. I operated a few in my day. This is one of the last diesel tanks the US Army fielded: the M60A3 RISE PASSIVE TTS. They had a 1790 cubic inch air-cooled twi turbocharged V12. Around 1500 ft lbs of torque.
    Meh nothing good is cheap

Bill...get the tank. I am teaching a msf class with a student who is looking to sell his f250 7.3. I can get details if you want.

Love the ambulance 7.3 turbo diesel all day. That thing can tow my house probably

I got 19.9 on the hgwy at 55 with my 7.3. I change the oil in the oil injectors everytime. Huge difference. Most people don't and end up with issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    I can ask the guy who bought mine if he's ready to sell?
    If you talk to him, sure!
    I am teaching a msf class with a student who is looking to sell his f250 7.3. I can get details if you want.
    Assume this is passed already, but please

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

I asked just out of curiousity and he said hed need at least 20k for his 99. Truck was mint.

Bump, if you happen to see anything in your travels! Now have narrowed the search to just a 7.3L Ford. Still extd or crew cab, long box.

Want my ambulance? We can share haha

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    NCSA?

Totally gotta go with the prison cruiser!

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    If you're gonna come pick me up before every event, sure

Your craigslist skills are 12-25% greater than mine
    1 - greater than $8k, and has multiple spots of rust
    2 - has rust, but I actually might contact him, it's not too much. (Price is a bit high, but I won't fault you for that )
    3 - That's actually a van
    4 - short bed

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    If you're gonna come pick me up before every event, sure

Your craigslist skills are 12-25% greater than mine
    1 - greater than $8k, and has multiple spots of rust
    2 - has rust, but I actually might contact him, it's not too much. (Price is a bit high, but I won't fault you for that )
    3 - That's actually a van
    4 - short bed
    When your budget is $8k, you look for vehicles between $8500-9000.

Your budget and desires do not line up. You will get a great truck with a little rust. If you could settle for a single cab, the options open up.

I started to type up a reply, but it's irrelevant. The reason for this post is if anyone (1) has a truck fitting this criteria they're looking to get rid of, (2) happens upon a similar truck for sale in their travels in the real world, or (3) comes upon a similar truck for sale online and happens to remember this thread. I thank you for the CL search results, but I'm certainly capable of doing those searches (and do them daily) without a lesson on what is reasonable or what are other options.

I contacted the guy that I sold mine to ... he is thinking it over.

He loves the truck and doesn't want to sell... but he is also doing some major house renovations and needs money.

If he gives me the go ahead, I'll get you his number. It was a 2000 with no rust, long bed, white color, extended cab. I miss it every time I take to the highway with a trailer.

Huge gas tank and good mileage - compared to my new Tundra with a small tank and crappy mileage when towing.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Tony's Ford was legit. Major upgrade from the NCSW.

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    I contacted the guy that I sold mine to ... he is thinking it over.
    Awesome, please keep me in the loop T!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Tony's Ford was legit. Major upgrade from the NCSW.
    I know. I've been kicking myself for hemming and hawing over it since I decided to buy it 37 seconds after his contractor did

If you buy that truck, let me know and I can probably pick it up for you, ya gimp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast