Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Want: Dirt Gear for me

Want: Dirt Gear for me

Helmet, eyewear, boots, pants, protector.

I'm size medium in most clothing.
    6ft - 158lbs
    Pants I'm usually 32-32.
    Helmets it varies from brand to brand so I'd have to try that.

Looking for low prices used stuff. I'm just getting into this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Want: Dirt Gear for me

Hmm used road gear doesn't exist?

If your going to really get into it there are some things you wanna spend your money on. Nice fitting gloves, a good pair of boots and a good light helmet. Personally I wear a knee brace style shin/knee gaurd, an armour jacket and hip protection (but I'm thinking of loosing that or going lighter). Jerseys and pants are all pretty similar. Fit can change a little and cheap pants rip quickly.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Hmm used road gear doesn't exist?

Guessing that should say off road gear.
    There's a few things I would stay away from with used offroad gear, helmets/goggles, non-washable armor(vest types) and in most cases boots. Just personal opinion on that, and knowing that when I ride offroad, I sweat 3 or 4 times as much as I would doing any other sport, and not keen on the idea of soaking my head and feet in someone else sweat.

That being said, you can find some great deals on quality closeout gear, rockymountainatv is always advertising closeouts at half the cost of current gear, so may want to start there. Not sure what cheap is to you, but I'd bet you can get pretty well set up with all new offroad gear for $400-500 total...maybe less. Maxim said it best, nice fitting boots, helmet and gloves is a must.

Now the question is, will you have some by Wednesday?

Yamaha

Wednesday I will be using most of smuttys extra stuff if he's game to go.
    If he bails. I was planning on wearing jeans, road boots, street helmet & gloves and an icon street jacket.

What size feet? I have a pair of A* Tech10 you could use for the afternoon, size 10

Yamaha

Lifer

Half my shit is Rocky Mtn closeouts. Although I have no idea if it is good or not. For example my lid is a cheapshit polycarbonate jobbie and not terribly light.
    The one thing I am not keen on skimping on is boots. One day I'll buy some humdingers. Probably 2nd hand. 2nd hand sweat will be dealt with.

Nothing a little dawn and a hose can't cure.
    And then immediately onto the boot dryer.

I can't stress that enough. Take boots off, get home from riding, immediately they go on the dryer. It helps keep the funk at bay.

What size show sav?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Shoes and steer boots I'm 10.5-11. Iv never put on a dirt boot in my life.

Lifer

When I went on a mostly off road adventure in Costa Rica the only thing I really invested money in was excellent off-road oriented boots (Sidi Adventure). I wore my regular revit mesh gear with a better spine protector and a soft chest protector. Bought a Cycle Gear Adventure helmet. The boots were probably the most important piece of off-road specific gear as I found out when one of the other riders broke her foot wearing road boots.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I like the pressure jacket thingies...elbow protection, chest protectors, back/spine protectors, shoulder protectors and kidney belt. It doesn't cut off circulation from your arms like slide-on elbow guards do, and the gear stays in the right place unlike the loosey goosey "roost guard" chest/back protectors.

as forum cheapie, I got the cyclegear one - when on sale it's only $60. I've crashed anywhere between 10mph tip-overs while trying to paddlewalk down a hill up to a WOT 4th gear attempt at clearing a double and smashing into the face of the 2nd jump and ending up in the hospital. Gear is intact minus one of the tightening straps...the plastic has been dragged across hardpack dirt, rocks, and bushes when I dumped in the desert and never torn or sustained much more damage than scratches. Beware the reviews say the zipper is shitty, so I take care when I zip up/down, and the "mesh" can rip...so get the right size to minimize the stretch/stress you put on it. Put it on and make sure nothing tears from the store to make sure you didn't get one that was made on a friday before a long weekend.

and yes, most dirt gear is pretty sweaty stuff...if you need something, you can wash pants and jerseys...boots seem like something you'd only buy used if it was only worn a couple times. As stated, knee guards are highly recommended...I'm still trying to find a slide-on set that I like

prepare to be attacked from every angle, so get good boots. beware that bottom-of-the-line boots will feel like ski boots

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-20-14 at 11:06 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I got all my dirt bike gear at motorcyclecloseouts.com I was so impressed with the prices and styles on some of the MX I bought them just to wear as shirts.

Ok I guess used gear is a no go for some stuff. Time to spend some $ and get the right stuff.

$400 for full gear is great in my opinion. I can swing that.

I have a pair of pants you can have.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    ...I really invested money in was excellent off-road oriented boots (Sidi Adventure).
    I guess everything is relative. I have the Sidi Adventures and think the world of them. They are a bad-ass road/adventure/touring boot. But I believe they are the bare minimum for dirt-bike use. I am half on the hunt for something more substantial with better/more shin protection.

The New England standards are either the sidi crossfires (for narrow feet) or gaerne sg10's (for wider footsies).
    The sg10's are significantly cheaper too.

My crossfires are going on three years now. Easily the best boots I've ever worn.
    Dirty bike boots are a classic example of getting what you pay for.
    Except a*. Fuck those things.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I'm rocking a pair of the $100 MSR/Thor/Moose/You too can brand these units, they were fine right up until I started playing at Boxshop. Now the ankles are cracking... didn't even make it half way through the season. If they're all you can afford, they're light years better than road race boots. If you CAN afford better, get better.

Well $99 times two pairs a season is more expensive than $400 that will last 3+ years. I'll chime in when the xfires are spent, but I'm just now ordering the first set of easily replaceable soles.

Edit, and I have a set of the red supermoto soles I bought for $1, should I ever travel that road again.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 07-21-14 at 10:41 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Is Fox gear only commercial!? Because when I think dirt bikes I think Fox but I guess that's just for
    Movies and X Games

Nah, it's fine.
    I'm not too picky about actual gear. Just boots and gloves.
    All pants and jerseys are the same, IMO. The only difference is vented or not. And jerseys are really just a waste to me, I almost NEVER wear one, because all I want is air flow.
    So, like Bhavesh, I typically just wear a pressure suite type chest protector, and a spandexy type thing under it.
    And duct tape on my nipples. Not a joke.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Duct tape on nipples. Are we still talking about dirt riding ?

Most definitely. Chafing is a BITCH.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    T
    Except a*. Fuck those things.
    Curious, what is it you don't like about A* Boots? The lower level A* I agree do suck, but from the Tech7 and up seem decent other than the price. Love my Tech8's, comfortable, good strapping system and most importantly, removable and washable inner booty...which easily gets rid of the funk, as long as you actually wash them.

Yamaha

The buckles, bootie boots in general, and the delaminating soles.
    I don't hate a* as a rule, just the boots.
    My leather suit is old a* that I got like sixth hand and have crashed the fuck out of and it's still ok. (With repairs)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

That's funny. I have never heard a bad thing about A* boots. On road or off road.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!