Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Help Adjusting Clutch - Will Pay Cash

Help Adjusting Clutch - Will Pay Cash

After years of not riding, I've come to the realization that I just don't like the bike. So I'm going to list my '03 GSXR 750 for sale. However, I went to pull it out of the shed, and the clutch won't disengage. I'm no technical genius, but the clutch adjustment procedure doesn't look so complicated. That said. I can't seem to make it work.

In any event. I'm looking for some help getting this clutch adjusted so I can list this machine for sale. Picked up a new bike this morning. Not looking for a freebie. It's a paying gig. I just can't do it, and I can't ride it to the local shop like this.

Located in North Kingstown, Rhode Island.

JM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Help Adjusting Clutch - Will Pay Cash

How long has it been sitting? Could be as simple as the plates being stuck together. That is something that can be fixed with a good jolt by getting it running and shifting into gear some times. Had this happen to my bikes in the past when they sat for a while. Of course if the clutch was smoked before you put it away then it may be time for some new stuff. There are plenty of people that buy your bike with it's issue as long as it's disclosed.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Lifer

It's a common problem on those gsxr's. The clutch pack is stuck together. Usually if you let it idle until it's up to temp it will.pop free when you play with the lever. I've had a few stubborn ones that took a couple whacks on the case with a dead blow hammer to pop. It's not a cable issue so I wouldnt mess around with it. Worse case scenario you need to take the cover off and separate the pack by hand but I've never seen it get that bad

How long has it been sitting?

2 years since I last had it running, haven't bothered to register it for longer than that. Charged the battery and it starts right up, but stalls as soon as it's put in gear.

Last edited by audiojeff; 03-24-24 at 04:29 PM.

Lifer

Yeah, that's a good long time. Let it warm up completely while idling and see what happens. It might need a love tap but it should come free.
    Out of curiosity, what shape is it in and what are thinking about asking for it?

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Yeah, that's a good long time. Let it warm up completely while idling and see what happens. It might need a love tap but it should come free.
    Out of curiosity, what shape is it in and what are thinking about asking for it?
    OK, I've got the battery out of it and on the charger now. I'll drop it back in tomorrow and see how it goes. Bike is no show queen, all original plastics and stickers, a little scuffed up here and there, and the tail is cracked. But it's a clean title, never wrecked or ruined, 20 year old motorcycle. Money wise, I gotta think that any decent bike is worth $2-3 grand for a few weeks each spring. Which is exactly why I'd like to get it fixed up.

https://imgur.com/a/W9hm6Fd

Lifer

That looks decent. Let us know how the clutch thing goes. I probably have spares if you find yourself in a jam.

I've be interested in buying it when your ready to sell. No rush at all.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    You want to rock a gsxr?

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Usually if you let it idle until it's up to temp it will.pop free when you play with the lever. I've had a few stubborn ones that took a couple whacks on the case with a dead blow hammer to pop.
    Well, that didn't work. Warmed up, shift to first with the clutch pulled in, dead stop.

I went and adjusted the clutch push rod in any event, and it seems to already have been in the right position. Don't own a dead blow hammer, but it seems that I might soon, because that looks to be the next step.

Lifer

A block of wood and a regular hammer will work as well. Just don't smash too hard.

Have you tried riding the bike? Like push starting it in second so it doesn't loop you? You really just need a good jolt to loosen everything up.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    with all the old gixxer love around here I can't believe this is the 1st / only "i'll buy it!" reply so far....

Brief update, Banging on the clutch cover with a wooden block was unsuccessful. A YouTube mechanic suggested clamping the clutch lever closed and waiting a few days for the pressure to release the plates. Trying that approach now, will update in a couple of days.

So, there is no pressure on the plates when you pull the lever. You've got a sandwich of alternating steels and fibers, when you release the lever that sandwich is clamped between the face of the hub and the face of the pressure plate by the clutch springs. When you pull the lever, you're fighting the springs to lift the pressure plate away from the sandwich. You feel the force of the springs, the sandwich just feels freedom via less of a squeeze. There's nothing exerting any kind of force on it to make it separate, unless it's glued itself to both the hub and pressure plate, but you should feel that in the lever not wanting to actually go to the bar.

Well, that did the trick. 4 hours or so of the clutch clamped shut and a couple of whacks with a rubber hammer, she's free. I'll be posting the bike up in the Marketplace section, if anyone is interested hit me up.

Thanks to All!

https://youtube.com/shorts/QH3SUPBcz..._JnnIP8RNxHZHD

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!