Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

duke 690... or similar

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Re: duke 690... or similar

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Update. Found a 690 in Stow ma. Upgraded cam for a 2013 , remap and full exhaust . Any insight if the updated cam is prone to failure? Would like to keep that low end grunt ....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH
    The guy bought it from a Razees of RImechanic a few years back

Talked to him , seems straight forward knowledgeable, valves have been done ,low end grunt still there ...no track days etc ....

Might have found me one ....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    There are more dedicated street biased twins like OneCheekRider and Paul mentioned that I’d steer you towards, which are better

You sound like me and your mind is made up on the model you want, so have fun

And screw sexy, I just put a tall windshield and shopping for a top case.

“Officer, I’m over 40 and my tags and insurance are up to date.”

question for others: is this the same spirited, wheelie friendly, LC4 mill that was in my former 690E?
    yes same engine.
    and what other bikes??? i'm open.. price 6k or less. Light. nimble, happy doing less than 60, feel the torque. Don't want to have to keep it near 60/80 for it to feel alive.
    also pretty/ sexy....

hmmmm......

Hypertarded

Update. Found a 690 in Stow ma. Upgraded cam for a 2013 , remap and full exhaust . Any insight if the updated cam is prone to failure? Would like to keep that low end grunt ....
    Same setup as mine, KTM power package, don't feel any lost low end and you can feel the cam hit around 6k rpm, nice kick

Never heard anything related to failures, i'm at 9k miles and no issues.

If you're at all concerned with the previous owner or maint stuff I could ask my friend at Razee about the mechanic there who owned it.

Good luck

I know BD916 had some issues with his 690, but I think for what you want it will be great, the weight it the biggest benefit from my perspective. Sure all of those twins are smoother & more powerful, but I don't think any are under 400Lb curb/wet and that's still 75/80Lbs heavier. It's a hoot, you won't be disappointed.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Same setup as mine, KTM power package, don't feel any lost low end and you can feel the cam hit around 6k rpm, nice kick

If you're at all concerned with the previous owner or maint stuff I could ask my friend at Razee about the mechanic there who owned it.

Good luck

I know BD916 had some issues with his 690, but I think for what you want it will be great, the weight it the biggest benefit from my perspective. Sure all of those twins are smoother & more powerful, but I don't think any are under 400Lb curb/wet and that's still 75/80Lbs heavier. It's a hoot, you won't be disappointed.
    Agreed, light is right. Not relevant to the OP, but Aprilia shaved those 80 pounds of the trofeo edition that Kerry bought. Power to weight is very exciting. I was doing 3rd gear wheel stands in the 16/17 chicane at NYST downtown. My Duc can't even do that!

Paul_E_D

Good luck

comes with an 02 dongle. Owner says he doesn't really use it as he has no issues. He also shimmed the exhaust valves last summer , little use since then. Typical, I ride it less 2 kids coming.. Mountain biking is easier/ more accessible.

Last edited by black; 08-31-23 at 11:15 AM.
    hmmmm......

Yeah then (aside from minor, repairable hiccups) the LC4 motor is solid; they’ve been making it for 20+ years…people go 50-70k miles on the 690’s without needing a rebuild

The two major issues I had were a misdiagnosed fuel filter and broken subframe bolts. You don’t have the same subframe issues, and I can’t imagine a fuel filter replacement, especially on a different generation bike, being difficult nor expensive to replace.

The weight and spirited torquey single will be an absolute blast on sub 70mph roads

Frisky dingo will probably have the year specific issues to address if there are any

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

when i'm able to get another motorcycle i will be taking a hard look at the dukes...i feel like the 390 would be a blast around town and on local roads but wouldn't have enough grunt for the highway to get out of bad situations so it wouldn't be enough of a step up from my 125cc scooter (same with the new triumph 400s coming out next year)...i would be looking at the duke 690 or higher (my other options would be yamaha mt line or some type of adventure bike)...by the time i'm back in the market i'm sure there will be a lot more electric motorcycle options as well...i have wanted one of the older '08-'11 690s for a while though

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Hypertarded

the one issue I have with the 390 VS 690, there is no weight savings / difference, ...so other than $$$ no penalty for the extra CCs

One tip, 2 parts, keep on top of the oil changes and don't use the Motorex KTM recommends, stuff turns to from 10W60 to 5W20 in 600 miles...I'd recommend either Motul 300V 15W60 or Maxima Extra 10W60. 2 filters & 2 screens(just clean).

Not sure on the O2 situation, kit was installed when I purchased it, still has the O2 sensor plugged in, KTM factory flash for power kit and no issues. There is a button under the seat to switch between "maps"..

Not to shit on your parade, but I'm pretty sure 2013 is when they got rid of all the nice goodies to bring the price down. The older ones had better suspension, Marchasini wheels and better brakes, if I remember right.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i feel like the 390 would be a blast around town and on local roads but wouldn't have enough grunt for the highway to get out of bad situations so it wouldn't be enough of a step up from my 125cc scooter (same with the new triumph 400s coming out next year)
    Sorry gonna derail the thread here for a minute... I've put a lot of hwy miles on my WR250R riding into Mexico as well as the local canyons. I even owned an RC390. If you feel you need "grunt" to get out of a bad situation, it's bc you put yourself in that bad situation. The higher HP bikes make you less keen on your surroundings knowing you have the throttle to fix any mistakes.

At least that's how I feel going from my Z125/WR250R to Speed Triple/Tiger 1200. My $0.02 FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Sorry gonna derail the thread here for a minute... I've put a lot of hwy miles on my WR250R riding into Mexico as well as the local canyons. I even owned an RC390. If you feel you need "grunt" to get out of a bad situation, it's bc you put yourself in that bad situation. The higher HP bikes make you less keen on your surroundings knowing you have the throttle to fix any mistakes.

At least that's how I feel going from my Z125/WR250R to Speed Triple/Tiger 1200. My $0.02 FWIW
    what's the top speed on a duke 390 anyway?...i'm pretty much talking out of my ass...if it can hit 90+ i'd say that's enough for me as everyone drives about 75-80 on the highways around me...but i also can't control what other drivers in high traffic areas on the highway with some of them being distracted drivers...i like having a little extra throttle just in case...i've never wanted to get into a liter bike...the mid-low cc bikes are what i like...i really want the 390 but i feel the 690 would do the job a little better...either way it's down the road for me...i do like seeing these new lightweight 400-500cc bikes coming out now

One tip, 2 parts, keep on top of the oil changes and don't use the Motorex KTM recommends, stuff turns to from 10W60 to 5W20 in 600 miles...I'd recommend either Motul 300V 15W60 or Maxima Extra 10W60. 2 filters & 2 screens(just clean)..
    Curious about this Motorex issue. I’ve been using it in my Husky because, you know, it’s printed right on the engine case. I usually skip best oil conversations since everyone has a different opinion and little solid info. Just wondering what your specific experience with Motorex is?

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    what's the top speed on a duke 390 anyway?...i'm pretty much talking out of my ass...if it can hit 90+ i'd say that's enough for me as everyone drives about 75-80 on the highways around me...but i also can't control what other drivers in high traffic areas on the highway with some of them being distracted drivers...i like having a little extra throttle just in case...i've never wanted to get into a liter bike...the mid-low cc bikes are what i like...i really want the 390 but i feel the 690 would do the job a little better...either way it's down the road for me...i do like seeing these new lightweight 400-500cc bikes coming out now
    My RC was around 110mph top speed, so Duke should be pretty close. My WR tops out at 86mph via GPS with +5 in the rear and I ride on some of the fastest busiest highways in the country. If you do a lot of hwy, higher displacement is preferred as it's overall more relaxing (why my ADV has 60k on it). Boils down to use case and personal preferences.

But my point is, a rider shouldn't be relying on the throttle to avoid a "bad" situation on the street. I think that's a poor perspective to take as a rider. At least when I reflect on incidents, the throttle has been what gets me into trouble.

I think my Duke was an 08? I can't remember.

Tons of torque... all the way through. Mine topped out at 95mph. Like full torque to 95, then 1mph every minute after that. Lol.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Just saw this one, looks pretty good, low miles

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4525044250988/

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I think my Duke was an 08? I can't remember.

Tons of torque... all the way through. Mine topped out at 95mph. Like full torque to 95, then 1mph every minute after that. Lol.
    weird. My 690SMC topped at 122.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Just saw this one, looks pretty good, low miles

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4525044250988/
    I mean...it does have a muffler... and a cell phone holder, too. Lol

LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    weird. My 690SMC topped at 122.
    I remember that bike. You used to rip on it in Jersey.

Kind of a petty reason to sell a bike, but it was kind of the main factor for me selling the Duke. That and some weird, gremlin electrical issues I was having.

LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    My RC was around 110mph top speed, so Duke should be pretty close. My WR tops out at 86mph via GPS with +5 in the rear and I ride on some of the fastest busiest highways in the country. If you do a lot of hwy, higher displacement is preferred as it's overall more relaxing (why my ADV has 60k on it). Boils down to use case and personal preferences.

But my point is, a rider shouldn't be relying on the throttle to avoid a "bad" situation on the street. I think that's a poor perspective to take as a rider. At least when I reflect on incidents, the throttle has been what gets me into trouble.
    that's not bad then...my thing is i like having a little extra for highway riding...i don't ride like an ass on the highway and leave plenty of space and usually just roll in the slow lane...it's just a preference...around town and on any local road trips with short highway rips i would be fine on the 390...commuting i would want a 690 though

duke 690... or similar-20230901_191539-jpg

Picked up and home, quick lap around the neighborhood.

Exactly what I wanted....
    10yo bike stored in a shed, typical out door corrosion on hardware, rubber is old in some places. Came with soft luggage heated grips,

I'm Happy.

Since it's been so long I've been on the street ... Other than my old draggin jeans with kevlar seat and knee.... Any cool protective pants like those around ?

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by black; 09-01-23 at 09:24 PM.
    hmmmm......

Lifer

Take a look at the moder Trident 660 - it is small, frisky, and can be pushed around on the back roads. They sold well so used are not a problem for around $7-8k. It is heavier than the duke 690, but smoother and a little more refined

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Hypertarded

very nice, enjoy!

Exactly what I wanted....
    10yo bike stored in a shed, typical out door corrosion on hardware, rubber is old in some places. Came with soft luggage heated grips,

I'm Happy.
    Have a chance to put a few more miles on it yet?

Since I shared that one back in post #15, I’ll let you thank me with a test ride sometime!

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    ....Since I shared that one back in post #15, I’ll let you thank me with a test ride sometime!
    if that's the deal I think I owe someone a ride on my 690 as well...

Fine I’ll ride yours too, if you insist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast