Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Floor jack

Floor jack

Doing some more frequent repairs to my car, a floor jack would be helpful and make things a little easier. Whatcha got?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Re: Floor jack

http://www.otctools.com/products/2_t...um_racing_jack

Use this jack at work all the time. I'm a mechanic and have use a lot of jacks . . . that one is awesome. very light low profile fits under anything.

not sure what your jacking up, that jack is rated for 2 tons which should handle any car providing its not gigantic

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Lifer

Spend a little extra money now and it'll save you from buying a second jack later. I like the release valve built into the handle vs. having to take the handle off and turn a second knob. Also - do a little research and see if there is a jack pad adapter that works with your car.

Kind of related - Get a good set of jack stands too. Don't go under a car that is only held up by the jack.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I bought one at Sears. But it isn't one they normally stock. I did some research and it seems they make/made two different 3 ton jacks. One was like $10 more, but I had to order it, and it had great reviews. The other was not so good. I don't have the model number right here, but can get it.
    I've used it a bunch on the car and the Expedition, and the boat trailer. Very strong (and heavy) unit. Not a race jack, takes a few pumps especially on the truck due to the height.

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Kind of related - Get a good set of jack stands too. Don't go under a car that is only held up by the jack.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    I like the release valve built into the handle vs. having to take the handle off and turn a second knob.
    Never get a floor jack with a separate knob to lower. They are such a PITA and you'll be replacing the jack with the handle controlled valve very soon. Ask my how I know this...

I've bought two jacks from Sears, both 'pro' branded. Both suck.

Recently bought one of the all aluminum 'racing' jacks from Harbor Freight. So far I love it, although I've been warned it won't last long. In the meantime, best damned jack I've ever owned..

Thanks for all the replies. I'm torn about the Harbour Freight stuff, price seems right but I'm always skeptical about the quality/longevity... Any recommendations on what to look for if I see a used jack on Craigslist? Also, I do plan on getting some jack stands too!

Hyper

Reviving this thread. With my new conversion van I'm wondering what size jack I'm going to need. The van weights ~7000lbs!!! So, I'm guessing I don't need a 7000lb jack because I'm not going to be lifting the entire weight, just one end at a time. Is this the correct assumption, and if so what's the minimum size jack I should get?

Thanks

Hyper

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Harbor frieght hascome out with a new line of jacks, they haveduel pistons , so you don't have to pump hundred times to get the pad to the frame. If you find 1on craigs list, rapid pump is what they are called, don't get the foot pump that mechanicallly lifts the saddle, you will run into problems sooner then you think.
    I have 3 H/F jacks, and a rapid pump 3 ton with a pensky branding from wallmart or kmart 10yrs ago, love it, tried to ge another and couldn't find 1 under $300.
    Hienwarner is a big name, also big money, father has 1 , its about 40yrs old. Works perfect, doesn't take a hundred pumps to lift sadle to car,
    But for a 7K # VAN, HF. Has a few 4 ton for reasnable price, the new aluminum race and is still 50lbs and around $170.00 , mine is only 4K/ 2 ton and I love it, they didn't have the bigger one out yet.or I would have gotten it.
    Save yourself some agravation, stay the fuck away from the craftsman jacks and jack stands, hf has better, stronger, for less money, the first thing to go on the jack was the bearings in the rear wheels, then the jack doesn't move when jacking and pulls the car, next is the seals, yes you can rebuild them, no they are not covered under warrenty, jacks stands folded under a mustang, they were 3ton, on assphalt, sunk , twisted and that was it , down it came. I threw that shit inthe trash. I now have HF 3ton , they look simmiler but are heavier. And some old 8 or 10 ton for higher 4wd ,no name.stay away from crapsman, atleast when the seals go in 5 or 10 yrs in my hf speacials , they will have paid for themselves many times over, .
    Oh I think torin is shit also. Napa wants over $400 for agood one, and its nott even rapid pump. Northern tool had 1 about 8 months ago, with shipp was under $200, it was reduced I think. But it was the one I really wanted. And remember the only jacks that are worth rebuildng , are the ones that will never need rebuilt.
    You can't get parts for most of these. O- rings are a propriatery size, made in china, every day , a diff size. No joke !

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Reviving this thread. With my new conversion van I'm wondering what size jack I'm going to need. The van weights ~7000lbs!!! So, I'm guessing I don't need a 7000lb jack because I'm not going to be lifting the entire weight, just one end at a time. Is this the correct assumption, and if so what's the minimum size jack I should get?

Thanks
    My truck is 7200lbs, c2500 silveraldo 6.5 turbo diesel. Front end is a little heavier then normal pick up, but I had an aluminum race jack rated for 1.5 ton/3000lbs blow apart, wasn't heavy enough, just couldn't lift the front end of my chevy. Now I don't trust my newer bigger aluminum jack, I use a heavy 3 ton steel jack

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by BluGixxer View Post
    Save yourself some agravation, stay the fuck away from the craftsman jacks and jack stands..
    I agree about the jacks, but I have not had any problems with the stands. I mean stands are stands, no?

The jack was a POS. I should have known better.. but.