Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fun Mover

Fun Mover

I'm poking around thoughts of getting an RV, and at the moment I'm liking the Fun Mover style setup, RV + garage all in one, no tow vehicle required. I've now seen a couple and it seems like the ideal route for my hobbies. So, standard caveat applies, I'm cheap. Anything out there at the moment?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Fun Mover

Doeit..

Well, I'd like to, but first one for sale in the right condition at the right price has to show up. If I just 'doeit' by hot-wiring one at CampingWorld it'll likely impact my racing hobby in ways that do not increase my points standing.

That's actually exactly what I replaced mine with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    That's actually exactly what I replaced mine with.
    Seems like the best of all worlds. Easier to maneuver than a RV + trailer combo, overall length is shorter than RV + trailer and at least some of them seem to be built around a metal body instead of wood on a metal platform like most RVs. If I get one of those I can sell my trailer, and ultimately move down a size in car as I won't need the towing capacity, when the HiHy finally dies. Now, I just need to find one. Saw one in Maine on CL a couple weeks ago that had potential but I didn't investigate further, haven't seen much else pop up recently.

xxaarraa

A rig like that sounds cool Josh and might make trackside camping so much more enjoyable and take quite a bit of stress out of the whole hobby.

I am not sure about selling your trailer though. I think you still need a puddle jumper setup for short trips or backup in case your big rig is out of commission for whatever reason. e.g., say you want to take one of your bikes to the shop for whatever reason over the winter, you still want a small trailer setup ready to fire up.

Unless you replace the Highlander with a pickup when its time. A pickup truck will serve the same small transport needs as a small trailer, in a pinch.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-17-17 at 11:16 AM.

Hope you got some $$$$$$................. LOLOL they are not cheap at all

Ill sell you a camper that you can convert the back into a garage.....

I've got limited driveway area, and getting a 27' to 31' rig will mean I have to get rid of SOMETHING to make up for it. The trailer would be an easy sacrifice. I've still got an open trailer for quickies.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

how is it that you live in Maine and have a limited driveway. Expansion? 3/4 shone that sheite

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Wasn't Hobbs just selling one here?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Were I doing this, I'd be looking for a motorhome that could tow a trailer. The more I think about this the more I think Paul has a point re: open toy-haulers and having a stinky, oily, possibly dirty bike parked in your bedroom. There's also the point of potentially having to unload the bike (and leave it outside) just to sleep. Trailers and motorhomes that have dedicated "garage" space get really long really quick. Suddenly you're looking at a 35+' trailer or motorhome. And you're stuck with that extra length even on trips where you don't have motos in tow. Not sure that's worth it.

A motorhome with enough GVWR leftover to tow a ~3k enclosed utility trailer seems like the way to go. Put the bike, tools, fuel, tires.. even sweaty leathers in the utility trailer and hook that up to the motorhome. At the end of the day strip out of the leathers and walk over to your "home on wheels". Enjoy an afternoon in the AC, with running water and maybe even a hot shower. Microwave some chow. Enjoy nights with plenty of ventilation and maybe some heat when needed.

It's also more flexible if you and the wifey ever decide for a week away without the motos; just pop the trailer off the hook and go.

And probably easier to resale as there is a broader market for general motorhomes.

Me, were I you I'd be looking hard at the latest bunch of small class-C motorhomes based on the Transit chassis. I have looked at the Thor Compass and Gemini models at Camping World in Chichester (on way home from track) a couple times now. They are really nice. If you're curious, I like the floorplans with the rear side for a queen sized bed best. There is still more than enough room to crash on either of the two! couches if you need to pull into a rest area and power-nap.

Some of the traditional class-C's in the 23-24' range on the gas Ford and GM 450/4500 series chassis work too. We found a great floor plan where the bed was on a slide out again but there was still a bunk over the cab and a ton of sleeping area. Regular "dry" bathrooms and comfortable living space. All while still leaving enough grunt for towing.

Unfortunately for me my +1 has declared that motorhomes are a death trap for passengers. She has a little one and there really isn't any provisions for kiddo seats in these things anyway.. so out they go. Instead we're now looking at 24-25' travel trailers towed by my half-ton with bikes in the back of the truck. Should be a pain in the ass to unload, but still comfortable and relatively safe.

Ryan was selling a trailer, I require a self-motivated setup. And on the driveway front, I live on the side of a small mountain, and only have 2.5 acres so... yeah, limited places to put things.

Part of my calculous pointing me at a fun mover vs RV + trailer goes back to limited storage and maneuvering space. I've just enough room that I can back a fun mover in, park it and not block off the driveway for normal use. To do the same with an RV + trailer combo is going to be more of a PITA and I may not have enough room to park. I have a hard enough time as it is with that trailer and my much shorter HiHy acting as the tow. I may be wrong, but it also seems most Fun Mover style RVs are built sturdier, utilizing a steel box truck frame instead of a wood structure. The interiors seem to be built expecting rougher service as well, less glitz and pointless do-dads for looks, more wear-resistant material choices.

I agree, anything where the garage is part of the living space is no good, hence my lack of interest in small toy hauler trailers. (Not to mention, again, I can't tow any of them.)

Size wise, the Four Winds line came in a 27' or 31' on a Ford F450 chassis, as well as 35' and 39' on a 650 chassis. I'm capping my search at 31', hoping to find a 27C.

RV + trailer is more flexible, no doubt, but at the moment the odds of my wife and I taking the RV for a camping run are pretty damn slim. If that ever does become a thing, I can always trade the hauler for an RV + trailer combo.

Last edited by Kurlon; 07-17-17 at 12:49 PM.

The one in Central NJ is a steal, if it isn't a scam.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I may be wrong, but it also seems most Fun Mover style RVs are built sturdier, utilizing a steel box truck frame instead of a wood structure. The interiors seem to be built expecting rougher service as well, less glitz and pointless do-dads for looks, more wear-resistant material choices.
    Yeah? Rob's didn't blow my hair back. Nothing that impressive, not that different from the regular class C's I've seen..

Looking at pics it varies, some look like normal rv interiors, some are far more basic like I prefer.

That one in NJ I swear I've seen listed before... I've pinged the seller just to see what happens.

I've been looking into this as well. What blows my mind is that you can finance the Class A's for 20 years! Good rates even for used. I don't finance any of my toys but hell I may consider making an exception for one of these if I can buy it depreciated err..used already. Can get an $80k rig for $480 a month. Makes the devil on my shoulder get a bit mouthy. Those Thor's are SEXY

#529 Amateur 2007 Triumph Daytona 675
    2015 BMW S1000RR

Lifer

You can finance class C's for 20 years. You can finance travel trailers for 20 years.
    But that's not the amazing part. The amazing part is that you can deduct the interest like it was a 2nd home.

Rates we were given were in the 6's and up.. not good in my book. We'd be looking used as well.

I'll say it again. conversion van + trailer is a great setup. The van is actually drivable and could easily replace an SUV in the line up. Now you have living quarters that you can transport people in with or without the bikes. Flexible driveway configuration, and you can leave the race bikes packed in the trailer.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

I think I'm on-board. Conversion van is a solid choice for a close couple. I'd do that in a heartbeat. Although the newer mini class C's would be on the radar too.. just a bit more legroom and comfort.
    Safety concerns for more than a couple though. Do not look at videos of motorhome crashes. Just don't.
    I think the K-hops gang addressed that by going with a passenger version of the Sprinter and building that out. Although I hear they're looking to upsize to a trailer now.

I see enclosed trailers as a solid way to store bikes and tools in the offseason as well. Moar garage space!

Conversion van doesn't really address a couple things I want to improve, mainly:

Room to stretch, I've got more room in my trailer now than I would in a conversion setup, I want enough so that my wife/family will have a comfy retreat space at the track for example.

Put it in park and go to bed. I don't want to unload, I don't want to shuffle things around to find and prep the bed. I want to declare where ever I stop 'home', pull the keys from the ignition and crawl into bed.

A small class B/C cover those wants, and price may ultimately push me that route, but again the simplicity of an all in one setup also appeals to me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Put it in park and go to bed. I don't want to unload, I don't want to shuffle things around to find and prep the bed. I want to declare where ever I stop 'home', pull the keys from the ignition and crawl into bed.
    That's one of the best features of a true RV(or a towable toy hauler like Butler has, but you need a serious truck to tow one of those).

I've gotten to tracks with the gates locked; no problem, take a nap. Had a mechanical breakdown once, AMA roadside was 12 hours to get an acceptable tow company; eh, fine, just relax in the RV. Power went out at home; whatever, go outside and fire up the generator and relax.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post

I've gotten to tracks with the gates locked; no problem, take a nap.
    Exactly why I bought a 'tall' trailer and setup my bunk bed system to fold out over the bikes. I regularly get to tracks past gate closure, park and just sleep in trailer till morning. I imagine a similar setup in an RV/toy hauler will be even more comfortable and plush.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-18-17 at 08:33 AM.

Looked at one unit this weekend, got scared off by pretty significant exterior delamination on both sides. Sucks 'cause it was in budget, and literally just down the road from me. Bah.

Option #2 has appeared on the radar, looks perfect, is about $5k over budget so... still looking.

Friend of mine in southwick just put a for sale sign on his class C toy hauler...doubt it's on Craigslist. By memory, it's a lot like the third one in Kurtz' list above, a ford and similar size and similar bland white looks on the outside, except this one is a 2001 I think, and he's asking 14,000. I'd expect him to take less.

Similar NON toy hauler RVs are available for half that, if not less. If I were going the RVs route, for reasons mentioned above, I'd be trailering the bikes behind a cheaper RV. But if money allowed, I think Paul ED's method is far, far, far superior. You just don't realize the hassles of owning a big RV until you've owned one. It's a long list, but near the top are gas mileage, wind driving, rot from infrequent use, huge campsite fees, lack of mechanics who want to work on them, and lack of ability to go anywhere easily once it's setup on a site. Did I mention gas prices and exorbitant campsite fees? Hotels are cheaper, more comfortable, and don't rot away in your driveway. Tents are even cheaper...

Paul's setup solves every one of those problems, and gets 23mpg, can park/commute/do other tasks, and can stealth camp for nothing. /decision, for me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast