Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gun Safe

Gun Safe

Looking for a full size safe - something that can accommodate a few long guns and hand guns. I don't have a big collection myself but sometimes store my brothers.

We have a baby at home now, and we want to move to a much more secure storage method than what we currently have.

Whatcha got?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Gun Safe

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...4-gun-capacity

My fiancé bought this for me as a birthday present after I did a ton of research. Long story short, the gauge of steel, # of locking bolts, internal shelves/pockets, door seal, and fire rating make it the best bang for your buck. A lot of box stores sell spec manufactured products from big names like liberty, cannon etc.. That are made in china. These Winchester ones are much more solidly built and made in the USA.

I've had mine for 3 months and love it.

Re: Gun Safe

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post

My fiancé bought this for me as a birthday present after I did a ton of research. Long story short, the gauge of steel, # of locking bolts, internal shelves/pockets, door seal, and fire rating make it the best bang for your buck. A lot of box stores sell spec manufactured products from big names like liberty, cannon etc.. That are made in china. These Winchester ones are much more solidly built and made in the USA.

I came to the same conclusions you did and it's what I bought as well.

Last edited by e30addict; 12-10-13 at 12:56 PM.

My only concern is that it doesn't have a biometric lock. I didn't want to chance my kids (when they get older) guessing the code and getting into the safe. Maybe I'm too paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    My only concern is that it doesn't have a biometric lock. I didn't want to chance my kids (when they get older) guessing the code and getting into the safe. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
    It's a 5 digit code. If they're old enough to "guess" the code I'd think they'd be old enough to treat the contents with the respect it deserves and not have an "accident", no?

Last edited by e30addict; 12-10-13 at 01:00 PM.

Hopefully … I'm a new parent so like I said, probably overly concerned. A 5 digit code would be hard to guess.

Actually, brain fart, it's a 6 digit code that you choose.

I think this is the one i have...

http://www.ftknox.com/vaults/the-protector-vault/

It's expensive but worth it and made in the USA. My one suggestion, buy one twice as big as you think you want.

I like this part...

"Fort Knox Inc. will replace any vault, free of charge, broken into by forced entry or damaged due to an unlawful attempt during the lifetime of the original purchaser."

Last edited by timmyho414; 12-10-13 at 01:05 PM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    Your kids won't guess it. The bigger problem will be getting your wife to remember it!

The pros dust the keypad and shine UV light to see which ones have been used. But I did some research on the number of homes with safes that had been "cracked" and it is very rare that it is attempted. When it is, according to a local locksmith, it's almost always an "inside job" by an employee or someone with access to the house or business.

The Fort Knox products are super. I have a narrow hallway that has prevented me from upgrading but that's what I want.

BTW there are many safe threads on NES. Many recommend Eastern Safe as they are pros, have many different lines, and can deliver anything they sell. Some stores that "deliver" really only drop it at your property, not put it in place.

Thanks for the info everyone! Much appreciated!

My electronic safe is/was BS

1st The board was cold soldered and it took years to get it 1/2 reliable about opening , still a little wonkey

2nd The MASTER program that is in ROM is the same as President Scroobs luggage

I ended up putting a mechanical pad lock with hasp to keep out my boys and any chimpanzees

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

My electronic safe is/was BS

1st The board was cold soldered and it took years to get it 1/2 reliable about opening , still a little wonkey

2nd The MASTER program that is in ROM is the same as President Skroobs luggage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEz-SHJbB0

I ended up putting a mechanical pad lock with hasp to keep out my boys and any chimpanzees

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Ft Knox does make good products as well. We have a couple of their boxes at our department.

Remover, Something is better/safer than nothing.

My complaint with the Ft.Knox website, "click here to be contacted with a free quote!" This was after I took the time to configure it how I wanted.

Or, how about you show me the price as configured. Saves me months of regret after they get my phone number/contact info and spam me constantly.

Yes, I'm actively searching for a 24-32 gun safe as well.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I bought mine at Rileys in Hooksett. They had a bunch of Ft Knox and other makes to look at.

They gave me the number of a guy who worked there who picked it up and set in in place for 300bucks. Being it weights 600-700lbs that was a no brainer. I'm quit certain I would have killed one of my friends trying to put it in place myself.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

I've been looking at the one harbor freight carries...any one have them?

CCS #31

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Another ft knox fan here. I bought one from eastern security safe back in 2007. Back then it cost me $2000 delivered into my basement. The same version is now $2500 (cost of materials more). The cool thing is no sales tax on gun safes in massachasetts.

I have three safes, one six digit code, one combination, and I just got a barska biometric safe. The only reason I didn't buy that winchester is the model I saw at TS when closing the bolts it appeared as though they only caught 1/8 of an inch. I didn't like it and thought they could have grabbed more wall, but ymmv.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Just checked mine and the bolts extend a good 1.5" to 2" when locked. Might have been a floor model/demo thing. My handle does about a full turn to unlock/lock.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ha! I just did the same!!

I would have been very disappointed with myself if they only engaged 1/8"

Last edited by e30addict; 12-10-13 at 08:22 PM.

Just checked mine and the bolts extend a good 1.5" to 2" when locked. Might have been a floor model/demo thing. My handle does about a full turn to unlock/lock.
    That's why I added the ymmv, I literally had cash in hand ready to buy the wini but had a Wtf moment when I looked at the bolts. I swear the bolts barely caught the lip of the side wall, legitimately barely covered and I was pissed because I was ready to take one home. Good to know because I need another safe and like the fit and finish of the Winchester safes whoever makes them. Just don't tell my girl I need a fourth safe she might think I have to many guns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    // Good to know because I need another safe and like the fit and finish of the Winchester safes whoever makes them.
    Winchester Safes Introduces New "Made in the USA" Models
    1/10/13 - Irving, TX----- Winchester Safes, the exclusive line of safes manufactured and marketed by Granite Security Products, Inc., has upgraded and reopened their manufacturing facility in Fort Worth, TX. The facility has undergone a major upgrade with significant investment in state of the art engineering design software and automated fabrication and welding equipment.

Winchester Safes will be introducing 5 new gun safes at the 2013 SHOT Show that will all be manufactured in their Fort Worth, TX manufacturing facility. The new Bandit, Deputy and Pony Series safes will highlight that they are all now "Made in the USA" and will offer top selling sizes at very aggressive retail price points.

"We're excited to launch our new series of "Made in the USA" safes at the 2013 SHOT Show," stated Kyle Walters, President of Granite Security Products, Inc. / Winchester Safes. "We listened to the feedback of our dealers and customers, which helped us in making our decision to bring back the manufacturing of part of our product line to our factory in Fort Worth. We're confident that the significant investment that we made in our manufacturing facility will support Winchester Safes goal to continue to be the fastest growing gun safe manufacturer in the industry."

To learn more about Winchester Safes and the new line of Made in the USA safes, visit SHOT Show booth # 13129 or www.winchestersafes.com.

Granite Security Products, Inc. was established in 1997 in Ft. Worth, Texas and is known today for manufacturing and marketing high quality gun, fire and security safes. Granite Security Products, Inc. is the exclusive licensee of Winchester ® Safes.

If I had the arsenal I'd like to have, a safe would not be adequate, but a walk in vault would work

a solid door and keyless deadbolt on a closet might be the cheapest gun safe

Gun Safe-keyless-entry-locks-jpg

Last edited by RandyO; 12-13-13 at 01:53 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

You're on the right path randy. Something is better than nothing , and keeping them out of sight is huge. The less thieves and people know and can see the better.

I'm not a theft but if I were and saw a lock like that on a door you bet your ass I'd try to break into it.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast