Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gun Safe

Re: Gun Safe

I used to drive by a big Safe store in Mendon if you want to check some out in person!

http://www.easternsecuritysafe.com/index.html

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    I'm not a theft but if I were and saw a lock like that on a door you bet your ass I'd try to break into it.
    I thought the same thing!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Eastern Security is a great shop.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Eastern Security is a great shop.
    :highfive:

There is an eastern security safe in west springfield, too...right near the big E. A bit more expensive than the tractor supply safes but much higher quality IMO, and it's all they do so they know their stuff.

I checked out the TS ones, not gonna spend that much for that minimal level of quality. Gun safe is something you buy only once, why buy a POS

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    If I had the arsenal I'd like to have, a safe would not be adequate, but a walk in vault would work

a solid door and keyless deadbolt on a closet might be the cheapest gun safe

Attachment 37146
    those are a good idea, but without a high security cylinder, its not very secure. i could get into that in under a minute with it having a key bypass. Of course I would have to be prepared for it, carrying a drill and some new bits.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

FWIW, those Winchester safes are a good deal, considering a comparable Gardall or Amsec safe is probably gonna run you double. Big difference I saw just looking at specs of Winchester quickly is the 30min. fire rating Vs. the 2hr that gardall has.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ View Post
    those are a good idea, but without a high security cylinder, its not very secure. i could get into that in under a minute with it having a key bypass. Of course I would have to be prepared for it, carrying a drill and some new bits.
    Or a cheap grinder with a cut off wheel, safes are all about time and how much of it it's going to take and how much you think a thief is willing to take working on the thing. I work with metal everyday grinding, cutting, torching, welding etc... My guy I work with is BIG and that dude could get into a lot with just a shoulder and a pry bar.

here's another tip, if you can mount your safe in a corner with the hinge on the opposite side of the wall. You can lag the safe to both walls and the floor obviously and this reduses the available amount of leverage a guy with a pry bar can get. Mounting it in a closet even better!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that MA has a "secure storage" law so take care to remain in compliance. Securing firearms from unauthorized use is a fundamental NRA safety rule as well.

I'm a fan of the Shotlock family of products.

YouTube has a number of reviews where people subject various safes to various kinds of attack. What level of security you decide is appropriate is up to you, along with the degree of fire resistance.

Also check with your insurance company if you have firearms of any significant value. Obtaining a rider on the policy to cover them is quite inexpensive: the limits in most homeowner policies are quite low.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-15-13 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ View Post
    you cannot prepare for all thieves, you can "what if" all day long, maybe the thief will chop a wall out with an axe, or in the case of a safe, they just steal the whole safe

I only posted the pic of the keyless lock as a quick example, its prolly not the exact lock I would get either . I figger why waste $$ on a safe when guns are likely kept in a closet to begin with, continue to keep them there, just make the closet more secure

Last edited by RandyO; 12-15-13 at 10:39 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    you cannot prepare for all thieves, you can "what if" all day long, maybe the thief will chop a wall out with an axe, or in the case of a safe, they just steal the whole safe

I only posted the pic of the keyless lock as a quick example, its prolly not the exact lock I would get either . I figger why waste $$ on a safe when guns are likely kept in a closet to begin with, continue to keep them there, just make the closet more secure
    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Or a cheap grinder with a cut off wheel, safes are all about time and how much of it it's going to take and how much you think a thief is willing to take working on the thing. I work with metal everyday grinding, cutting, torching, welding etc... My guy I work with is BIG and that dude could get into a lot with just a shoulder and a pry bar.

No shit! Safes are ALL about time and how much it takes, a door knob to a closet is level 1 security.

If someone wants a gun safe(which I applaud) why would you try to talk them into a door lock on their closest?

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    If someone wants a gun safe(which I applaud) why would you try to talk them into a door lock on their closest?
    Completely agree, being in construction and working with steel like I said in my previous post I could personally kick through the drywall and easily fit my skinny ass through 16 on center. I don't think people realize how easy it is to break shit.

I keep my guns in a closet

Also bought mine at Eastern Security Safe. $2500. installed. (850lbs empty, made in USA)

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I keep my guns in a closet

... Show off. Also check out bighorn safes they are an import brand of rhino safes. Similar to the winchester price wise and built like brick shire houses.

I'm currently shopping, again, my self. I ended up just getting a pistol safe thinking it would be plenty for me for awhile. Then I built my ar. Pulling it apart so I can store the lower in my safe to obey the law sucks.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 12-15-13 at 11:00 PM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Then I built my ar. Pulling it apart so I can store the lower in my safe to obey the law sucks.
    You could just put a cable lock through the action and throw it in a closet for now....

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    You could just put a cable lock through the action and throw it in a closet for now....
    ... Shut up.
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention there were a hand full of decently priced nice gun safes on Craig's list. Just do a search for gun safe.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 12-15-13 at 11:35 PM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12