Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I could use some help with this.

I could use some help with this.

I am having a tough time finding my daughter a dog. I have been trying all the rescues and have repeatedly been dissapointed. Anyone out there who knows of a house trained 6mo to 6 year old male (50 lbs max)? Any dog my daughter finds will definitely be spoiled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: I could use some help with this.

My g/f and I adopted ours from Petco via an adotion rescue. Petco and Petsmart both hold adoption events at their stores on most weekends. It's basically first come first serve. You fill out an adoption thing and as long as you don't act like a shithead they basically give you the dog. The only thing is that it's a toss up as to what breeds/ dogs they have at each one. Ours was house trained since she was with a rescue organization while she was being brought back to health.

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I think there must be more info than just a dog, male, under 50 lbs.

Some people spend more time researching about buying a car than selecting what dog is the right one for them. That is one of the reasons there are rescue adoptions exist. People get a dog, the dog does not meet their expectations, the dog gets discarded...
    I am not implying this is the case here with the OP, just see too many bad examples.

the GF and I adopted a 7mo old Collie mix last month from Forever Home Rescue New England. We found her on petfinder.com. She is house and crate trained. Unfortunately, we could not meet the dog beforehand as most of their dogs come from the South (there is a serious stray dog problem down there), but they had a nice description and we got to talk to someone in her foster home over the phone. After we submitted our application for this dog we had to make a deposit and wait for her to be transported up (roughly 1 week). You get some other bonuses like free pet insurance for 30days and some other things I cant remember. The descriptions given were spot on and we love our new addition.

Most people will be turned off by the adoption fee...BUT you need to keep in mind what a great cause it is going to. Also, since it is considered a charitable organization, you get to claim your adoption fee on your taxes.

I have has good luck with "labs for rescue" they bring dogs up from shelters in the south. Google them.

Check here, they're in Middletown RI. http://www.potterleague.org/
    We have had great luck with them in the past.

my mom is a volunteer for a rescue foundation. want me to send you her contact info?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    I think there must be more info than just a dog, male, under 50 lbs.

Some people spend more time researching about buying a car than selecting what dog is the right one for them. That is one of the reasons there are rescue adoptions exist. People get a dog, the dog does not meet their expectations, the dog gets discarded...
    I am not implying this is the case here with the OP, just see too many bad examples.
    I hear ya. My daughter is "a dog person" She walks them and house sits with them for about 10 clients for extra money. Everyone is trying to help her.I have two lab pups right now but that would not be a good fit for her. She lives in a 2BR 2bath condo with a 50 lb limit. She needs a dog who would fit in her situation.

found last two on petfinder.com . good pooches.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Faceplant View Post
    my mom is a volunteer for a rescue foundation. want me to send you her contact info?
    That would be awsome thanks!

My experience going to the stores was better than petfinder. Everyone uses petfinder and people typically have a small selection of breeds and dogs that they're likely to select. Chances are if you think one puppy is cute, so does everyone else. When we were looking it felt like all the dogs I called about were spoken for, or there status had not been updated on petfinder and they were already adopted. Hopefully you don't have the same heartache, just throwing that out there since we were disappointed a few times.

Meet Bailey. Female 3 years old, looking for a good home. (yes, I know you said male)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I could use some help with this.-1146515_4750872824765_1454232901_n-jpg  

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynnus View Post
    Meet Bailey. Female 3 years old, looking for a good home. (yes, I know you said male)
    Tell me more about Baily

Lifer

My wife had a horrible time with petfinder and rescues here in New England. She spent months looking and only wound up finding ads for older dogs, dogs that were spoken for, or otherwise just not what we were looking for. Also the couple rescues we found wanted substantial amounts of paperwork and adoption fees. Some wanted us to pay "application fees" just to get on a waiting list for a rescue. That seemed utterly wrong to us.

In the end we wound up adopting from a rescue from down south. It was a rather sketchy situation and we adopted the dog sight unseen and paid for her to be transported up here. But I followed my wife's lead on this one and it worked out great.

My sense is that there are far, far more options in other parts of the country than there are here in New England.

Our first dog was purchased from a breeder (the 2nd was the rescue). In that case we also got her from the south (NC) because breeders up this way were significantly more expensive. We put together a weekend road trip to bring that puppy home.

We got our dog from baypath humane in Hopkinton. They tend to go through dogs quick so the page may not be up to date. She will have to go there to meet and prove that she is allowed to have a dog.

James

Have you tried Buddy Dog in Sudbury?

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I'll keep you in mind next time we have one for adoption.

07 S4RS

Quote Originally Posted by ZX11D View Post
    Tell me more about Baily
    I don't know much, but here is the message I received. It is someone at work.

Hey everyone. Just trying to help out a friend who doesn't have enough time right now to give the right attention to a dog they adopted. Her names Bailey and she's about 3 years old and very friendly and if they don't find someone within the next few days they have no choice but to take her to the pound. �� If anyone knows of anything that could work out for her please let me know.

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

I`m a bleeding heart and it kills me to think another dog might be heading to the pound. That being said my daughter is dead set on a male for some reason and "daddys little girl" gets what she wants. Baily is beautiful and should be adopted quickly I hope.

PS Everyone here has provided us with valuable info and hopefully now we can find the right dog for her.Thanks again. Nesrians rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynnus View Post
    I don't know much, but here is the message I received. It is someone at work.

Hey everyone. Just trying to help out a friend who doesn't have enough time right now to give the right attention to a dog they adopted. Her names Bailey and she's about 3 years old and very friendly and if they don't find someone within the next few days they have no choice but to take her to the pound. �� If anyone knows of anything that could work out for her please let me know.
    Jane, I'll keep you posted. we have a lead on one from Rob's work, but could be interested if it falls through. same sort of deal - 3 years old, gotta rehome or esle...

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Pick a few breeds that she is interested in and contact breeders in the NE area. We have been breeding Labs for 15 yrs and we do get dogs back from time to time. Most "Good Quality" breeders will take back their dogs. This presents a selection of older dogs for you. Actually just got a 6 yr old yellow male back this weekend. I guess the people just got sick of him. Luckily we have a home for this guy. Check around with the breeders on line. Check the AKC website for breeder listings and any breed specific dog clubs in your area.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Shot you a PM

07 S4RS

Thanks to everyone who tried to help out on this. My daughter will be picking up "Cramer" tonight and all thanks to NESRian Matt (loki32687)who found Cramer for us. Thanks again everyone.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX11D; 08-26-13 at 07:42 AM.

He's a good pup! Glad he's going to a good home

07 S4RS