Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wanted: IBM/Dell Enterprise laptop w/ XP or 2000

Wanted: IBM/Dell Enterprise laptop w/ XP or 2000

My husband is looking for a laptop to use for controls (HVAC).

Ideally, I need one with a male 9-pin input. I know a lot of you have extra laptops laying around, let me know what you have!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Original

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They make RS232-USB adapters. If its a UI/compatibility issue with equipment in the field he would be better off finding a workaround now with newer equipment than finding an old computer to lug around.

Also best place to find something like an old laptop. Find a pc repair shop near you or online. The combo you are looking for is still currently available for cheap prices.

Re: Wanted: IBM/Dell Enterprise laptop w/ XP or 2000

The controls programs will only work with XP/2000, there is no workaround unfortunately.

Original

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you already checked out any local pc shops? Not the best buys or frys. In Salem NH there is a place called microseconds. They have what you are looking for. See if they have a website or give them a call. See if they can ship one to you.

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post

Have you already checked out any local pc shops? Not the best buys or frys. In Salem NH there is a place called microseconds. They have what you are looking for. See if they have a website or give them a call. See if they can ship one to you.
    I'm checking NESR, but thanks!

Also, I'm in AZ, so Salem is probably a little far.

I happen to know there are a handful of people here with stacks of laptops sitting at home, so I figure I'll help one of them out first.

Original

XP can be run from within a VM and given access to a serial port (on the laptop or via USB, etc).

Also, the app will most likely run just fine within Win7, you'll just have to install/run in compatibility mode. All sorts of tricks for getting around stuff like that. (I'm a network/systems eng, I've got all sorts of HW with managent apps like you're describing and have had to go through the same stuff. My work lappy is a Macbook Pro running OS X, no physical serial ports and still no issues thanks to Virtual Box and my USB jobbies.)

The other reason for not wanting to spend money on a newer laptop is that controls laptops tend to be dropped, stepped on, etc due to being used in the field most of the time.

I'd rather replace a $200 laptop than an $800 one.

Original

I do believe I have something that would tickle your fancy...

Does the battery need to be strong?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I do believe I have something that would tickle your fancy...

Does the battery need to be strong?
    It would be good, but I can always pick up a new battery.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    The other reason for not wanting to spend money on a newer laptop is that controls laptops tend to be dropped, stepped on, etc due to being used in the field most of the time.

I'd rather replace a $200 laptop than an $800 one.
    Right tool for the job, Panasonic Toughbook in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post

They make RS232-USB adapters. If its a UI/compatibility issue with equipment in the field he would be better off finding a workaround now with newer equipment than finding an old computer to lug around.
    not to go off topic here, but those adapters are terrible. i use them here at work to do some switch & firewall changes. i gave up and just started using an HP 6550b laptop that has the COM port built-in.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Shots View Post
    not to go off topic here, but those adapters are terrible. i use them here at work to do some switch & firewall changes. i gave up and just started using an HP 6550b laptop that has the COM port built-in.
    Weird, I've used both Prolific and FTDI based adapters without issue? What have you been trying to use for specific adapters?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Shots View Post
    I've never had a problem. Just gotta know what COM port it runs on every time you plug it in.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I've never had problems with the FTDI adapters either. I've worked for companies that have shipped products that use 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    I'm checking NESR, but thanks!

Also, I'm in AZ, so Salem is probably a little far.

I happen to know there are a handful of people here with stacks of laptops sitting at home, so I figure I'll help one of them out first.
    Um yeah, I said see if they have a website or call them and have it shipped because i know you are in AZ and it was an immediate turnaround. you didnt post how long of a time frame you had so i looked at it like "if i needed it now what would i do?"

also yes running XP is an easy solution to your problem as you know it will work, but the best way to do it would be to contact mfg's for updated sw/drivers for all the equipment in use and either use the adapter or find a way to get compatibility with a different type of connector...

I say this because XP is now outdated and even though yes this equipment is in use now and will be in service for longer, support for outdated repair equipment is going to get more expensive as the tech becomes more and more obsolete.

just trying to help looks like you got clayton to help you out...

btw Jim,

port number and updated drivers and you should never have an issue... you mac user you...

BTW a good couple of workaround helpers...

http://sine.ni.com/psp/app/doc/p/id/psp-411

This is NI VISA. It is a general I/O helper. if you use any kind of "adapter" or even high speed data transfer this is invaluable. It allows you to code any issues if needed and gives both a UI that is easy to understand and complex setup and running options.

The other is sort of Agilent specific. Its called I/O Libraries, but caries many general drivers and control for some off the shelf shit...

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/...=zzfindiosuite

Also allows you to customize ports and useful for very high data transfer rates/sizes for separating USB ports for different specs... (to some degree)

Also handy if you run any auutomation scripts/batch files. great for running several tests/pieces of test equipment on one system simultaneously.

Last edited by R1; 01-23-12 at 10:12 PM.