Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wanted: Kitten/ adolescent cat/ stone cold killer

Wanted: Kitten/ adolescent cat/ stone cold killer

Currently searching for a feline for my daughter's upcoming birthday........a birthday present for my daughter that will eventually help daddy with the chipmunk population.

Looking for a kitten up to 1-2yr old cat.

Must have claws.

Yes, I am familiar with Humane Society, SPCA, etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Wanted: Kitten/ adolescent cat/ stone cold killer

So you're looking for coyote food....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I've found the issue with cats, while they are one of mother earth's most efficient killing machines, they are only interested in the hunt when they are hungry. Feed them regularly and they are as effective at killing vermin as using a vice for a mouse trap. Now there are a priceless few out there that kill for the sake of killing, you can't teach that. Those are the good ones.
    Good luck with finding a good one...

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

About 15 years ago, a feral cat showed up. It was really young and really underweight, so we started feeding it.

In retrospect, that was a great decision. The cat grew fat and content and was a darned good pet.

It also never lost the urge to kill. It would line up its trophies in the side yard for us to admire - mice, moles, chipmunks, doves... all headless, too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    So you're looking for coyote food....
    Not if it's a ninja!

Wanted:  Kitten/ adolescent cat/ stone cold killer-wilfred-warrior-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I've found the issue with cats, while they are one of mother earth's most efficient killing machines, they are only interested in the hunt when they are hungry. Feed them regularly and they are as effective at killing vermin as using a vice for a mouse trap. Now there are a priceless few out there that kill for the sake of killing, you can't teach that. Those are the good ones.
    Good luck with finding a good one...
    That's not true in general. That used to be the working theory for farm cats -- they wouldn't feed them, on the hypothesis that hungry cats would catch more. But someone decided to actually do a study and see if that was true, and it wasn't. Well-fed and healthy cats were more successful at catching rodents.

My personal experience is that it's the attitude of the cat. I free feed all my cats; they can eat when they like. Some of them don't hunt, and some of them do, and the deciding trait is whether they like to hunt or not. Kind of like people.

The one among the current batch who is into it, hunts all the time, regardless. Funny thing was that as a kitten/young cat, he had no interest. Probably didn't even know it was a thing to do. Then, when he was about a year old, my daughter's snake decided it didn't like one of its mice. Snakes do that sometimes; inexplicably turn their nose up at a particular mouse. So we went out to the big lawn, with the mouse, and the young cat, and set them down together, and it clicked in the cat's head. He killed that mouse, and ate it, and has been an enthusiastic hunter for ten years since.

PhilB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 11-19-18 at 07:59 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Some breeds do to tend to be better mousers...but really its not always the case some do, some don't

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    That's not true in general. That used to be the working theory for farm cats -- they wouldn't feed them, on the hypothesis that hungry cats would catch more. But someone decided to actually do a study and see if that was true, and it wasn't. Well-fed and healthy cats were more successful at catching rodents.

My personal experience is that it's the attitude of the cat. I free feed all my cats; they can eat when they like. Some of them don't hunt, and some of them do, and the deciding trait is whether they like to hunt or not. Kind of like people.

The one among the current batch who is into it, hunts all the time, regardless. Funny thing was that as a kitten/young cat, he had no interest. Probably didn't even know it was a thing to do. Then, when he was about a year old, my daughter's snake decided it didn't like one of its mice. Snakes do that sometimes; inexplicably turn their nose up at a particular mouse. So we went out to the big lawn, with the mouse, and the young cat, and set them down together, and it clicked in the cat's head. He killed that mouse, and ate it, and has been an enthusiastic hunter for ten years since.

PhilB
    Interesting. My experience is we had a barn full of barn cats and we fed them regularly but not much. We had two cats at the house (at, not in) that were tamer and were fed better. Those two had nothing to do with hunting. The barn cats on the other hand would hunt in packs and bring in carcasses of all types. I get there is more to the correlation than just the feeding, but the barn cats were veracious hunters.

Not sure how feasible it is to deliberately select a good hunter. We picked one of our cats from a shelter based on snuggliness. 4 years later he is still snuggly as fuck, but turns out he is an absolute monster with prey. Its like a switch goes off when he sees something move that shouldnt, and we're off to the races.

Of the two cats we have. The young one who is very active and who demands constant attention just chases the mice, doesn't kill them . The older cat who just eats and sleeps all day. Will turn into the the lion king after the young one gives up and will ripe the thing to shreds.

Have to agree it's pretty random. My neighbor used to have once of the nicest/friendliest cats I'd ever met, she would walk up to little kids on the sidewalk and let them pet her. However she would turn stone-cold killer in their back yard, and significantly lowered the local rodent/bird population.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Of the two cats we have. The young one who is very active and who demands constant attention just chases the mice, doesn't kill them . The older cat who just eats and sleeps all day. Will turn into the the lion king after the young one gives up and will ripe the thing to shreds.
    My family had several excellent mousers, but I think the best hunting cat I've ever run across belonged to my best friend as a kid. This cat was both massive and really fat, had to be close to 30 pounds. Moved like molasses most of the time, especially going up steps. He would find a perch up high and just wait, then drop like a blob of doom on any bird or rodent that got close. He liked to use his food bowl as bait. Really funny because they had a fast, skinny younger cat that couldn't catch shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a teenager we had a tri-color cat named Kingfish. He was a big boy, around 18lbs but no fat to speak of. I watched him take a seagull off the house across the street's roof by waiting on the garage roof and leaping once the bird got to the edge of the house roof. He got his claws in and they both rolled off the roof to the lawn. Then the blood flew.....

Working on my bike in the garage one afternoon, Kingfish came in with a small squirrel he'd killed. He came up to me, looked me in the eye, dropped the squirrel and smiled! No shit he just smiled at me! I patted his head and he bolted. Came back later with a mouse and smiled again.

I thought it was pretty awesome at the time but while typing this out it occurred to me that he was probably just stretching his jaw after carrying his victims for who knows how far. Dammit!

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    As a teenager we had a tri-color cat named Kingfish. He was a big boy, around 18lbs but no fat to speak of. I watched him take a seagull off the house across the street's roof by waiting on the garage roof and leaping once the bird got to the edge of the house roof. He got his claws in and they both rolled off the roof to the lawn. Then the blood flew.....

Working on my bike in the garage one afternoon, Kingfish came in with a small squirrel he'd killed. He came up to me, looked me in the eye, dropped the squirrel and smiled! No shit he just smiled at me! I patted his head and he bolted. Came back later with a mouse and smiled again.

I thought it was pretty awesome at the time but while typing this out it occurred to me that he was probably just stretching his jaw after carrying his victims for who knows how far. Dammit!
    That’s awesome. We’ve got a cat that kills everything it can, but seagull is not on the list. Yet.

We’ve had insane squirrel population this year in Maine. Coincidentally I had picked up a Gamo 1400fps pellet gun. The little fuckers die with some crazy theatrics when hit, cheap entertainment.

...and now I have a cat in my house.

I respect all animals but have always been a dog guy so this...….this will be an adjustment. I've lived with cats, had a few as kid but have never taken on the responsibility of caring for one so never got to understanding the psychology, the body language, what the meows mean.

We ended up going to Laconia SPCA on Friday and by coincidence they were having some type of adoptathon for the Black Friday weekend....Dog Friday and Caturday.

We cruised around for about 45min checking out the kittens and cats and found a 7mo old tabby, Edward, that my daughter was interested in. We were informed by the SPCA volunteer that we were 3rd in line for this little dude so we filled out an application and kept on cruising. Not sure what exactly happened but around 5 minutes later the volunteer walked up to us and started our interview questions for Edward's new home. 5 minutes after that, cat meowing on the car ride home...and all before noon!

Call it day 3 now and so far so good. He was social with us within an hour of arriving home and we have been opening up the house slowly to him as he gains his confidence in his new surroundings.

Here he is guarding the laundry...ready to pounce at a moment's notice.

Wanted:  Kitten/ adolescent cat/ stone cold killer-img_20181125_210318861-jpg

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Awesome,
    We pickup up a Tabby( Harley) two years ago. Great cat she thinks she's a dog , plays fetch with her toy mouse. ( maybe that's why she wont kill real ones) Tabby's get big and she's moody sometimes but overall a Great breed, very affectionate ..
    Congrats.

Cats are awesome. I'm so glad I took a rescue home a few years ago.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Appears to be a good choice Paul.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Nice...an NESR “call to advise” thread with follow through...congrats

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Annnnnnd, you hva posted your first cat pic. This is how the internet happened.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

nice.

i was going to suggest one of these for the mice.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

My stone cold killer is having some problems enjoying the great outdoors.

Of course he is!

Over the last few weeks we've been helping Edward to get used to the exterior of the house. We started him on the patio for an hour and have been building from there. Unfortunately he consistently chooses to hunker down somewhere and starts meowing.

In an effort to help him feel comfortable, I've been working on all my broken stuff in the driveway so I've pretty much been laying on the ground or outside. He'll have none of it. Yesterday he spent most of the day near (or on) the front steps or doing an Army crawl in the garden bed that spans the width of the front of the house....meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow

I'm hoping he starts seeing the birdies and chippys running around and maybe something will click....

I'm sorry, but you most likely have a pussy cat....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just heard from mumma and it sounds more promising that when I had posted earlier.

She opened the slider to the patio and apparently "he went outside himself this morning and trotted off..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast