Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Looking for dual sport for short rider (>30” seat height)

Looking for dual sport for short rider (>30” seat height)

The lady wants to get dirty with me and really wants a dual sport. She’s been riding for years but at a mere 5’ tall and a 28” in-seam she is pretty limited. I’m not desperately looking but I figured if someone has an old XT or 230 with a plate I’d be happy to talk. We’re looking more on the dual sport and less on the dirtbike side of the spectrum.

We’re going to look at the new XR150L and 300LS soon too but I don’t want to buy new given what it will endure.

With links and a low seat there are some options (250l, klx230, xt225/250, drz200 etc) but I want to keep it light weight if possible since I’ll be the one picking it up most likely.

Here is a pic of my little bike with my little dog for laughs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -a44d66df-882b-4aff-96da-bd9546c82ecb  

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Looking for dual sport for short rider (>30” seat height)

I just sold my Chinese 250 but it would have been perfect for her. It couldnt be plated but you can buy them street legal. I had the xpro titan 250, a crf230 clone. I beat the ever living snot out of it. Even took it to an mx track and raced it. Not the fastest but it was a workhorse. At $1600 delivered to your door step it was certainly cheap. I sold it for $1300 with a couple thousand hard miles on it so resale was pretty good.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Look for a crf230l. It is pretty much same specs as an xt225 - both have a wet weight of 267 lbs with 9 liter fuel tank full. Very short and easy to ride. I had one for 10 years. I have the crf250l now and it is a much bigger and heavier bike (40 lbs heavier). The KLX230s are nice as well and are not expensive new given some of the used bike market prices. Remember they have a shrt version of the KLX230S (new) which is different than the used ones which may still be the taller version.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

This one has been for sale for a bit. May need better tires for offroad, but otherwise looks like a decent deal
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3650772899759/

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I’ll look into some of those Chinese ones. I see a few on FB for 1k-2k w/ titles & plates. Would be nice but the uncertainty of getting parts or a dealer when on a multi-day venture is concerning.

I had an old 230f chassis w/ an xr200 motor in that she likes but a plated option was driving the sale. I didn’t know they had a plated trim. That would be perfect if we can find one within say 1000 miles.

The KLX or CRF 230’s are the first pick just in front of the xt225/250 then drz200. The 250/300L’s can be setup to below 30” seat height as well but I don’t want her to be to worried about the weight when on trails. She won’t be riding single track but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Look for a crf230l. It is pretty much same specs as an xt225 - both have a wet weight of 267 lbs with 9 liter fuel tank full. Very short and easy to ride. I had one for 10 years. I have the crf250l now and it is a much bigger and heavier bike (40 lbs heavier). The KLX230s are nice as well and are not expensive new given some of the used bike market prices. Remember they have a shrt version of the KLX230S (new) which is different than the used ones which may still be the taller version.
    I loved the XT225 I had, wish I hadn't sold it. The clutch was pretty toast when I got it, I taught like 4 people how to ride on that thing. It was incredibly easy with the soft clutch, low power, and low seat heat. You could almost dump the clutch and it wouldn't stall. I did eventually replace the clutch. I even commuted from Bellingham to Cambridge a couple times on it. Tell you what, 80 mph eastbound on 90 at 6:30 AM on a Tuesday on an XT225 was pretty comical.